MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here. On Thursday I picked up a NIB M&P 45 with night sights. I took it to the range yesterday and promptly took it back to the shop where I purchased it. I usually shoot at 25 yards with a pistol but shot this one at 10 yards because it was new and I wanted to get the feel of it. I would have thought she should have been capable of a 1" group at this range. What I got was a weapon that could not even hold a group. It was terrible, I would say about a 10" group. One shot would impact 8-10 inches from the next one. I am glad I put it at ten yards. I don't think I would have seen paper at 25 yards. I have owned 11 Glocks and choose this model over the Glock 21SF. I was expecting a more accurate pistol. The slide to frame fit seemed okay. There was nothing apparently wrong to the naked eye. I wonder if this one has a bad barrel?

The shop where I bought it had a Smith & Wesson certified gunsmith check it today. When I called he said everything seemed normal and that they were going to shoot it tomorrow. The load I practiced with was Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ and Speer GDHP 230 grain. It was reliable, just very inaccurate. I don't know what to make of this.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Hate to state the obvious, but are you sure that it's the arrow and not the Indian?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I'd wait to hear from their gunsmith and test firing before jumping to any conclusions. But 10" groups at 10yd is almost impossible to imagine in terms of a mechanical problem unless they forgot to rifle the barrel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Hate to state the obvious, but are you sure that it's the arrow and not the Indian?

Umm yes. I am sure.
The gun was not capable of holding a group. Has anyone seen one of these with a severe flyer problem?

Is there anyone here from Arizona? I practice at Tucson Mountain Park Range and happen to be one of the most respected informal (non professional) shooters in these parts. I traded in an aging H&K USP 45C to acquire this weapon. With my other 45's including the H&K, I am able to shoot a golfball off of a post at 25 yards very easily. So in this case it is the arrow and definitely not the Indian.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share? I posted here because I heard that there were some good Smith & Wesson gunsmiths here and I was hoping to get some answers. Other than the accuracy problem, it was totally reliable through the first 160 rounds. It was also one of the softest shooting 45's I have ever shot. The accuracy was just terrible. To make sure I wasn't crazy I took a couple of other guns out today and shot perfectly. This was my first Smith Auto pistol and I expected much more. I have owned many Smith revolvers in the past and loved them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
no particular pattern on the target? :roll:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loloy said:
no particular pattern on the target? :roll:

The first clip only put about 5 rounds on the paper. These were spread across the top of the target at 10 yards. It was so bad that I switched to a larger Shoot N See at the next cease fire. Upon putting this one back out at 10 yards the first shot on the next clip went dead center, the next one impacted about 8 inches higher and left of center. Even the Range Master who knows me and knows my shooting proficiency was like WTF? After the dismal results on paper I tried it at 50 yards to see where she would hit the dirt from my point of aim and got very erratic results. I promptly packed up the target and gun and went back to place of purchase. They too agreed that this gun should be capable of shooting out the 10 ring at 10 yards. I suspect the barrel crown is bad and the bullet is not spinning on a straight course when it exits the barrel. I did leave the gunshop with the feeling that it will be made right though. This weapon has a spent case from factory that was dated April 07. I hope to hear from some of the experienced Smith and Wesson folks here. This one was to be my new CCW.

·
Registered
434 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
the arrow is broken, needs feathers at the butt:lol:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did you check the barrel crown and overall condition of the rifling within the barrel? I've had nothing but success with my M&Ps. Not to say that a bad barrel is an impossibility but an improbability. Some days I've had such a time where I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and that's with any weapon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
GW45NUT,

I would shoot a paper bullseye target @ 10 to 25 yds with off the shelf factory ammo. If it's still that far off, I would send the target with the pistol back to S&W with how far you shot the target and the type of factory ammo you shot it with. I would also request that when they send it back "fixed" that they include what ammo type they used to verify the problem was fixed.

I have a full size M&P 45, 9 and .40, only the 45 shot point of aim, point of inpact at 25 m. The others are getting new sights when Adjustable sights come out.

Good luck,

·
Registered
495 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Can't be the Indian a fault here, an Indian would have known it is a magazine, not a clip 8)

·
Registered
45 Posts
GW45NUT,

I happen to live in Arizona and also happen to be a GRANDMASTER USPSA Production shooter who is also very well known in the northern part of the state as well as at Rio Salado shooting Range.

I have acquired a MP .45 and have already run almost 2,000 rds through mine and mine doesnt have any preference to ammo at all it shoots GREAT with all of them.

If you ever want to come up north way towards the Payson area let me know and we will figure out what is wrong with your MP .45, its terrible to think its not shooting properly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a little peculiar that you thought the gun was not that great before you even shot it and then of course now it has problems when you shoot the thing. Lend it to a good shooter and tell him it's GREAT and see how he shoots with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you check the barrel crown and overall condition of the rifling within the barrel? I've had nothing but success with my M&Ps. Not to say that a bad barrel is an impossibility but an improbability. Some days I've had such a time where I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and that's with any weapon.

How did the barrel look GW?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the replys. I also answerd a couple of PM's. I picked up the pistol and do believe it has a different barrel. The reason for this statement is because I can now feel the rifling at the end of the barrel with my finger tip. I can swear it was not like this when I sent it in. The barrel tip seems different now. I will shoot again on Saturday or Sunday. If I get erratic results I will ask one of my rangemasters to try it and make sure it is not me.

Glocker, when things settle down for me a little bit maybe I can take a roadtrip at some future time. Right now there is too much going on around me to go very far. I will send you another PM. When I read your last one I had not read your post.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gee, I was tired when I wrote that last post. I think the message was understood despite the error!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gtmtnbiker98 said:
How long did S&W take to fix the weapons and get it back to you?

It never went back to Smith & Wesson. I suspect the barrel (if it was changed) may have been swapped at the gunshop with another M&P they had in their case. I hope this is the case. I will find out when I practice this weekend and let everyone know the results.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
GW45NUT said:
[quote name='gtmtnbiker98']How long did S&W take to fix the weapons and get it back to you?

It never went back to Smith & Wesson. I suspect the barrel (if it was changed) may have been swapped at the gunshop with another M&P they had in their case. I hope this is the case. I will find out when I practice this weekend and let everyone know the results.[/quote]

For the person who gets that other M&P... well, if it were me, i'd be kicking someone in the sack.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts