MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my troubles with my M&P .40, on Friday I picked up my new M&P .45, black, frame mounted safety, no magazine disconnect. It came installed with the medium size backstrap. I had the chance to put about fifty rounds through it today and all I can say is WOW! Functioning was flawless and my first shot went straight through the bullseye. That first shot was followed by the next nine from the same magazine. The M&P .45 was very accurate and extremely controllable. Recoil was not bad at all-certainly no worse than a 1911 (to me at least). The gun feels very good in my hand with the medium backstrap. I tried all sizes but the medium seemed the best to me. It actually feels better in my hand than the M&P .40 with the medium backstrap does.

The M&P .45 slid right into the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holster I use for my M&P .40 and Glock 37.

Needless to say I was very happy with the gun. In my opinion, the M&P is the gun my department should have transitioned to either in .40 or, if a .45 was deemed necessary, to the M&P .45 (we are in the process of transitioning to the Glock 37 in .45 GAP).

I have no pics of the gun or targets to post.

Sorry for the short post but It's late here and my better half (who purchased the gun for me as a birthday present) is beckoning.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another happy M&P 45 owner here.

Picked it up today and took it to the range.

External safety- I'm used to shooting 1911's so this is no big deal to me.

Put 300rds through it: 200 WWB, 50 Fiocchi, 50 Blazer Brass, all 230gr FMJ

No failures at all.

At first, loading the 10th round was a PITA, but it got easier the more I shot.

I like it alot. Probably going to shoot it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How does it compare to the .47 M&P in terms of height, width, length and weight? Does it physically feel like a bigger gun? If your eyes were closed, would you be able to tell whether you were holding the .45 or the .40 M&P's? Thanks for any impressions you could convey to us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
texagun,

At the moment my M&P .40 is at S&W, so I don't have it with me to do a side-by-side size comparison. The .45 is about 1/2 inch longer in the slide, and the grip is very slightly longer front to back. As far as slide width, it seems really close if not the same to me. If my eyes were closed I could definitely tell the difference in grip size between the .40 and the .45. The palm swells for the .40 seem more pronounced than those for the .45. The palm swell for the .45 is very subtle. I actually prefer the feel of the .45 (I'm used to shooting Berettas which have rather large grips).

As far as weight goes it is (if I remember correctly) 28 ounces unloaded, so it is a bit heavier than the .40, but not much. It balances very nicely.

I also very much like the thumb safety and hope it becomes an option on the other caliber guns as well. The ability to retrofit earlier guns would also be nice. The older and slower I get the more I like at least having the option of a safety to use.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The news that it fits into a SERPA holster is good. I've been trying to figure out if they'd fit into those and the Comp-Tac CTAC holsters as well. What do the magazines look like compared to the .40 ? Any real differences?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colt,

I sent all of my .40 mags in to S&W with the M&P .40 so I don't have them in front of me to do a direct comparison. The .45 mags seem a bit longer front to back and perhaps a hair wider. Height seems about the same. I'm hoping (and expecting) that Glock 20/21 mag holders work properly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
M&P Family

Hi, I bought my 45 yesterday and can't wait to shoot it. It has the manual safety and night sights which I could have done without. ha However, I too appreciate the manual safety and if the parts ever become available for the 9 and 40 I'll be one of the first to install them.

Here's a pic of my M&P Family:

Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
whoohoo.. i guess that answers my much answerd question about if they are shipping blacks with the safety !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also waiting to get my hands around one with the manual safety. One of the guys at the local gun shop said he didn't think you'll be able to retro fit one without the safety to accept it. I started looking at mine and to me I think you can. :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts