MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new M&P Shield 45. Serial number HWMxxxx. Adventure Outdoors in Marietta, GA had them on sale for $399. Brought it home, cleaned and inspected it. All good.

I went to load both the six- and seven-round magazines. I could only get 4 rounds in each one, and that was a struggle. I wrestled with those for nearly 30 minutes try to get full magazines. I even dented some brass trying to push in rounds 5,6 and 7.

Do I have bad magazine followers? Do I need to contact S&W? Haven't even shot it and already having issues. I never had a problem with new magazines like this before (Beretta 92FS, Rock Island 45 MilSpec, Springfield 45, Beretta 84FS Cheetah, etc.)

The date of manufacture is supposedly 010517, over a year ago.

Mike P.

·
Site Staff
9,589 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was finally able to load all 6 and 7 rounds.

I placed the round on my cleaning pad and then turned the magazine upside down and pushed the magazine on to the round, placing the base of the round about where I would if doing it the other way.

I will see if loading and loading a few times loosens up the magazine spring a bit.

Now to get to the range.

·
Registered
137 Posts
G56 is absolutely correct...get the Uplula. It is truly the difference between easily loaded mags and pure frustration. I wouldn’t trade mine for nothing.

Oh....and leave the mags loaded for a good while. That tends to help too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think I'd force feed it, BUT mine was almost impossible to load too. Definitely get the mag loader .... LOL, and take it with you to the range. I also agree, fill them up and leave them loaded, over time they'll become manageable. Good luck. I LOVE mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree that the UPULA is necessary to load the magazine without over stressing your hands/fingers. However, I have a somewhat different issue with mine. If I load more than 4 rounds, racking the slide feels like it is full of sand. Four or fewer and it is as smooth as silk. Have not put very many rounds through it but have yet to have any feeding or ejection issues. I have this issue with all my 45Shield magazines. Need more break in? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks and take care. Burt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a M&P45C (double stack), and getting the 8th round into any of the mags is painfully hard, but not impossible. A loader is a big help. As they say, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

·
Registered
4 Posts
YUGE yes for the UPLULA !!!

I always disassemble any new mag I obtain before loading for the first time. Deburring the top lips, making sure the follower is smooth and moves smoothly, and check the spring for consistency and compression.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Leave the mags fully loaded for a few days. Then unload and re load them. See if that does it. I had to do that with my Shield and Glock mags and it fixed the tough to load last two or so rounds.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I put 100 rounds through mine yesterday. Probably couldn't have done it without my Maglula. They loosen up with use, but that last round is still hard to get in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Never leave home w/o em!

Always use an Uplula for my two MP9mm & my MP AR Sport 556/223. Actually have two Lulas for the rifle: one for loose change and a Strip Lula for the military 556. Never leave home w/o em!

·
Registered
2 Posts
They gave you some good advise. I have two of the loaders, they make putting rounds in the magazine a lot easier. You can take the magazines apart and check it. You want to make sure that there are no burrs on the mouth of the magazine and follower. I have had the M&P Shield for 4 years now, and my magazine springs are as strong as the day I bought them. Get the loader and make your life a lot easier.:smiling:

·
Registered
2 Posts
M&P Shield 45 Magazine loading issues

Get a magazine loader. After two sets of springs and leaving the magazines loaded for over a year they still are very hard to load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The way you make a .45 Shield feel easy to load is to get a M&P .40. The .45 is easy compared to the first and last round In the double stack.
Of course I do find slapping the mags on the back to make sure the rounds are all the way back does help.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Get a magazine loader. After two sets of springs and leaving the magazines loaded for over a year they still are very hard to load.

Because letting um sit does not effect the spring. Cycling effects it. ie using it loading and reloading. Being held in a constant state of compression will NOT weaken it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen Browning A5 and Remington M11 that after being left locked open for 30 years disagree about springs degrading when left in constant tension.

Also had a 30% failure rate on BAR magazines left loaded for 70 years.

I've also seen magazine springs take an initial set after being loaded for 6 months. If not how come they are shorter than virgin springs?

That said, I agree it's a non-issue for quality springs left loaded for relative short intervals like 5-10 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to break your thumbnail off a couple of times to learn. S&W could use a smaller spring or it might finally loosen up . But especially with the Shield 45 you have to slant the round a bit to get it started and then it will slip in with a lot of force. I have looked at the spring and I don't think it advisable to cut a coil off. However on the Shield 9 carry mag you can remove exactly two coils and it improves the loading, But best to take your Uplula with you to the range and save your thumbnail.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts