MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new 9MM M&P Shield to the range yesterday and had jams due to the firing pin hitting the cartridge case during feeding. It seems like an intermittent issue. I removed the slide later and checked the firing pin and it seems to move freely if I depress the striker button.

However, after I dry fire the pistol and rack the slide, the firing pin protrudes. If I do not dry fire it and rack the slide, the firing pin is recessed behind the slide face when it comes into battery.

Has anyone else encountered this? I saw the warning in the manual, but didn't notice a problem at that time.

Also, the slide is very hard to rack. When using the "sling shot method" the slide lock frequently doesn't drop out of the recess in the slide.

I have had a standard size M&P 40 for years and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New M&P Shield firing pin issue.

I removed the firing pin and blew air into the channel, plus cleaned it with a dry patch. I also cleaned the spring and lightly oiled the spring and plastic sleeve in the back. It didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would at least take out the firing pin and clean the channel to see if something is interfering with the striker's movement.

Here is a quick video to show how to remove the striker for cleaning:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am having the exact same issue with a newly purchased Shield Plus. I also noticed on my firearm the striker channel sleeve/liner is not present. And that there is a good bit of rubbing from the striker spring and the plunger. I have to manually push back on the striker assembly for the plunger to lock on the striker assembly.

I was wondering if there is a remedy to fix this before shipping firearm back to Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
M&P SIG Glock Springfield S&W
208 Posts
Sounds like Glock users with M&P Shields = Striker Sleeves aka Channel Liner
JFYI the Slimline Glocks don't have a channel liner on the Glock 43/43X & 48 either

I would also remove the STRIKER & clean it very well + the channel & re-assemble completely dry = no lubrication as it attracts rubbish in this area

Good Luck Fellas
Font Electronic instrument Metal Crankset Musical instrument accessory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts