MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a M&P45 2.0 Compact, and wanted to share my impressions of it for others that may be considering buying one.

First impression - where's the fitted plastic case I was expecting? Called S&W and asked about it. They recently started shipping guns in cardboard boxes - but you can purchase a case if you like.

Second impression - the thing feels great in your hand! I like the rough grip texture. My finger falls in the perfect position on the trigger, and the curve of the trigger fits my finger just right. Some don't like the curve of the trigger, but I find it puts my finger in the exact right position every time. The "hinge" on the bottom of the trigger is also a sticking point for some, but isn't noticeable for me unless I really fix on it.

One thing I noticed immediately, and didn't like, was the rough and inconsistent "take-up" travel of the trigger. The first 3/4 of the trigger travel is just "take-up" before stopping for the actual break - and it wasn't good. I thought I'd oil it and run a few rounds through it before getting too concerned about it, and the actual break of the trigger was fine.

As delivered the gun was dry as a bone, so before taking it out to shoot I oiled it as directed in the manual.

The first shots with 230gr FMJ felt good. I fired American Eagle, Fiocchi, Sig, and Federal HST ammo - all functioned perfectly and the gun felt smooth and very controllable.

One of the guys at the range set out a 10" wide 1 1/2" thick piece of "bulletproof glass" (not bullet-proof and not glass either) at 50 yds, and put a .223 round through the middle of it. I took aim and put one shot to the left of the hole and one to the right, which broke it in half - so I'd say it was dead-on and accurate at 50 yards.

After 50-75 rounds the trigger take-up hadn't changed.

At that point I decided that the gun needed to go in to S&W to have them correct what I felt was unacceptable. S&W sent me a prepaid FedEx label, and I sent the gun in. After a few days I called to confirm they received it, but it took almost a full week for it to be entered "into the system". They had it for another 2 weeks before sending it back.

First thing I noticed was the additional packing I had used was not re-used and the chamber flag was missing. I called, and they did send me a new flag, but overall there could be better attention to detail in their service department.

After checking the trigger I did feel the take-up was smoother - but now the break had more creep than it did previously. That was confirmed by my son that had felt the trigger before I sent it in. In the box was a note that read "trigger was heavy" - which is not what I had stated in a detailed note included in the box when I sent it in.

I cleaned and lubed it again and put another 200 rounds though it. The trigger didn't really change - but it's acceptable. I shot my son's SIG P320 9mm back to back with it, and the SIG trigger is significantly different - having a more even pull the entire way compared to a lighter take-up before the break of the M&P trigger. I don't hate the M&P trigger, but in general the SIG trigger is smoother and easier to shoot well.

So far I haven't had any failures with any ammo. For range practice the SIG .45 230gr FMJ is my favorite with the 230 Fiocchi being a close second. For defense I use the Federal 230 gr HST. The HST does feel a bit snappier than the standard 230 FMJ, but it's not bad.

Overall I'm pleased with the gun.

I keep telling myself it's not a target gun, and when firing it rapidly the trigger shortcomings are much less noticeable.

I know there are aftermarket parts that can improve the trigger, but I'm hesitant to do any modifications to my carry gun, so I'll just deal with it.

· Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I see you are very active and have been here quite a while.

It would be good to see a bit more activity here.

My next purchase will most likely be another M&P - a .22 compact just for fun.

I posted a question in another section about any word of a .22 2.0 Compact model being introduced, as I'd really like the feel of mine .45 2.0 Compact and could see having a similar .22.

The current .22 compact model isn't bad, but I'll wait and see if they decide to update it to match the rest of the line.

· Registered
3,237 Posts
Thanks. I see you are very active and have been here quite a while.

It would be good to see a bit more activity here.

My next purchase will most likely be another M&P - a .22 compact just for fun.

I posted a question in another section about any word of a .22 2.0 Compact model being introduced, as I'd really like the feel of mine .45 2.0 Compact and could see having a similar .22.

The current .22 compact model isn't bad, but I'll wait and see if they decide to update it to match the rest of the line.
I`m waiting for it to happen too! Then i might buy one.

· Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

Can anyone confirm if Gen 1, 10 round magazines work in the M&P, 2.0, 45C? I have a bunch of new magazines and am not looking to purchase additional. Thanks for your assistance.

· Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Guys,

Can anyone confirm if Gen 1, 10 round magazines work in the M&P, 2.0, 45C? I have a bunch of new magazines and am not looking to purchase additional. Thanks for your assistance.
I can neither confirm or deny, but someone here had suggested they will not work.

Might want to call S&W or see if you can compare part numbers for each.

· Registered
3 Posts
The biggest gripe I have with the 2.0 45 compact (as with other M&Ps) is the hinged trigger. I try to live with it but after a while I find myself on the APEX site. For some reason APEX doesn't sell just the trigger shoe for the 2.0, so add another $150 if you want to replace the trigger. I love the sights on the M&Ps, and its a shame to get rid of them in order to install night sights, add another $150. I can't figure out why S&W cheaped-out on the case. Yes they do sell a plastic case but its blue.

· Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest gripe I have with the 2.0 45 compact (as with other M&Ps) is the hinged trigger. I try to live with it but after a while I find myself on the APEX site. For some reason APEX doesn't sell just the trigger shoe for the 2.0, so add another $150 if you want to replace the trigger. I love the sights on the M&Ps, and its a shame to get rid of them in order to install night sights, add another $150. I can't figure out why S&W cheaped-out on the case. Yes they do sell a plastic case but its blue.
Do you notice it that much?

I was initially put off by the hinged trigger also, but after firing the gun I didn't feel it was as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

My son has a SIG 320, and it just doesn't have the same feel as the M&P. I don't know if it's just the grip, or grip angle, but it doesn't feel as good. My other .45s are all 1911s, and I believe the M&P has the same grip angle. Maybe that's why it just feels right to me.

· Registered
3,068 Posts

I was initially put off by the hinged trigger also, but after firing the gun I didn't feel it was as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

My son has a SIG 320, and it just doesn't have the same feel as the M&P. I don't know if it's just the grip, or grip angle, but it doesn't feel as good. My other .45s are all 1911s, and I believe the M&P has the same grip angle. Maybe that's why it just feels right to me.
I’m a long time 1911 guy, and I believe that the M&P grip angle is why they point and shoot so well for me.

The hinged trigger is a non-issue for me as well. While I’ve installed the Apex striker block and sear on several of my M&Ps (the Apex striker block will take all that grittiness out of your trigger takeup), all still have the stock trigger.

· Registered
3 Posts

Unfortunately it does bug me, though its mainly aesthetics, as it does not affect function at all. I own two Shields (9MM, and 45ACP), an M&P 9mm 2.0, and the 4" barrel M&P 45 2.0, all purchase within a year and a half period. After replacing the trigger on both my Shields I went over a year without replacing the trigger on the 9mm 2.0. but I broke down and replaced it a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure I'll replace the trigger on the 45 also. Regardless of the trigger, M&Ps are great guns and they are a quality American product from a legendary American company. I'm sure I haven't bought my last one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts