MP-Pistol Forum banner

New M&P9 Slide won't reassemble on receiver

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Jarrodt06 
#1 ·
Just got my M&P 9mm tonight and brought it home and immediately took it apart to check it out. I have followed the directions exactly, but the slide won't go back onto the receiver. It gets close to the end, but just won't go completely on. Saw another post on this and the writer said that the internal lock was turned on, but there isn't an internal lock on this one. There appears to be a spot where there could be one, but it is covered by a little plastic cap. Does the cap have to come off to turn off the internal lock? I don't think it was on because I was able to pull the trigger before disassembly. Do I have to take the gun back?

Thanks!

Punisher

#5 ·
Still can't get receiver to slide on

Tried all the suggestions...

The plunger appears to be moving without any trouble and moving the firing pin doesn't help to get the receiver to slide on any further. I messed with that for about an hour last night.

The takedown lever doesn't even wiggle when I'm sliding on the receiver. I can't move it at all actually when I'm trying to get the receiver to slide on so there is no way it's blocking the receiver.

It isn't just stiff or tough, it's like something is totally stopping the receiver from sliding that last inch. I'll have to call the vendor and see if I can return it. I've never had this kind of trouble from any of my other guns (multiple Glocks, Spingfield XD, etc.).

#20 ·
Still can't get receiver to slide on

The plunger appears to be moving without any trouble and moving the firing pin doesn't help to get the receiver to slide on any further. I messed with that for about an hour last night.

The takedown lever doesn't even wiggle when I'm sliding on the receiver. I can't move it at all actually when I'm trying to get the receiver to slide on so there is no way it's blocking the receiver.

It isn't just stiff or tough, it's like something is totally stopping the receiver from sliding that last inch. I'll have to call the vendor and see if I can return it. I've never had this kind of trouble from any of my other guns (multiple Glocks, Spingfield XD, etc.).
when you put the recoil spring back in did you make sure the round part was facing up and down and the flat part is to the sides?

#7 ·
Re: Still can't get receiver to slide on

punisher said:

Probably already checked but the takedown lever needs to be rotated to the down position for reassemble. Also make sure the recoil spring/guide rod is not reversed.

Also, just fyi, if you have a plug in the opening for the internal lock, you do not have the internal lock. No need to mess with that.

#9 ·
I went back to the gun shop with the gun. The gunsmith says it is common on the M&Ps that one piece is manufactured to large ever so slightly. He filed a piece by hand for no more than 20 seconds gently and it works like a charm.

He said he had to do the same thing to his M&P when he bought it. Just in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Just to clarify - the sear deactivation level does not need to be down in order to tear down the receiver - but this means you need to pull the trigger (like a glock).

Thanks for the help everyone.

#15 ·
This is Punisher's wife posting - he can't post from work.

After searching the web for a good diagram of the internals I found a site that calls what was filed down the "trigger bar". Actually it was the little round part that sticks up that was filed down. The shop guy lightly filed the top of it down a bit and the receiver slides on and off like a dream now.

Hope this helps others with their M&P tech problems too!

#17 ·
Hubmonkey1 said:
[quote name='punisher']This is Punisher's wife posting - he can't post from work.

Welllll Hellllooo "Punisher's Wife" :wink: .... What are you wearing right now? JUST KIDDING!!!!

Thanks for the update. I am sure this will help the members of this forum!

Hub[/quote]

This is the real Punisher. After reading your comment, I loaded my new M&P and am looking you up on google earth.

Just f-ing with ya. Funny post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.