MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came home with it yesterday and was able to fire approximately 100 rounds through it today. My goal was to get enough ammo through it (WWB) to make sure it was functioning as well as my six-month-old full size M&P 9mm. It performed flawlessly. I made the decision to get this model pretty much based on Yukon Glocker's reports. It's the model with 12 round magazines, no lock or magazine safety.

The front sight on my full size was slightly off center to the right which I later corrected. The front sight on my Compact was slightly off to the left but I decided to leave it as set from the factory. Since I had not had a range session for over six weeks, I was not about to start making adjustments at this stage. My shooting today was just okay.

My full size M&P had some trigger grittiness when new but that has evened out pretty smoothly now with use. I thought the Compact trigger was smooth right away. My son also fired some with the Compact and remarked without my prompting that the new trigger was pretty good.

I don't have the hand strength I once had so I've relied on the HKS GL940 loader for my 17-round magazines. While I got this to work somewhat for the shorter Compact magazines, I was pretty frustrated with my inability to load the full 12 rounds easily. I used the HKS for partial loads and then my son's Glock loader (supplied with his G19) for some others. Getting that 12th round into the magazine was difficult with either loader and I finally was successful doing it by hand. I have pretty sore right thumb right now. I wonder if that UpLULA loader would solve this problem for me?

All in all I found the Compact pleasant to shoot and could not detect any difference in recoil from the full size. I also fired it with a couple 17 round magazines from my full size and detected no problems. I was pleased to see that it fit nicely into the two holsters I'd acquired for my full size, one made for the Glock 19 and the other the Blade-Tech I won here in the Blade-Tech holster giveaway in December.

There was a local LE guy shooting nearby and he was pretty interested in both my M&Ps. Seems he has the option of selecting his own duty gun and thinks he may be going the Glock 19 direction but he wanted to check the M&P. We had already packed up to go but I offered to let him shoot mine if we met there again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So you decided to get a compact too. Goood for you. I'm glad that it's working well so far. Mine should be here tomorrow

I hope that this isn't a rude question, but can I ask how much it went for? I assume that you got it from Bill's.

Anyway's, thanks for the report. I hope that I have the same results. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on your new compact Dakotapix, that makes at least three of us in the TC area with the compact. I agree with your assesment of the 940 loader for the compact mags, I picked up the 940 loader last week and found its not worth a hill of beans for those short compact mags, would love to see if the the uplula loader is that much better. For now I just load by hand and its gotten easier after three range trips, including getting that 12th round into the mag.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eichen323 said:
I hope that this isn't a rude question, but can I ask how much it went for? I assume that you got it from Bill's.
Price was $499 which seems to be standard in our area. I have not seen them for any less in the Twin Cities.

By the way, one item I forgot to mention in the first post was how easy it was to remove the frame tool in the grip. Seems that unlike the full size frame tool, the Compact's half moon handle is meatier making it easier to twist and remove.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is just a post script to my original post above in which I mentioned the difficulty I had using my HKS Speed Loader with the Compact's 12 round magazines. Thinking to myself that I'd been able to manually load the last 12th rounds into the magazines, I tried manual loading today and successfully loaded them by hand. I can't say it was without some discomfort but I was able to get it done. I then loaded by hand one of my full size 17 round magazines. Maybe after six months the springs relaxed a bit. I would still prefer to make this job easier though.

So I did go ahead and order one of the highly regarded UpLULA Universal loaders from eguns.com who has them on back order from their US distributor who is also out of them. I viewed the video on the manufacturer's site and it looks as though the rounds are literally dropped into the mags when the spring is compressed. I hope somehow I might be somewhere in the queue to get one of the eight dozen of these loaders that are on order.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Great information, I can't wait until .40c arrives... :twisted: This site evil, I tell you EVIL... :twisted:

A demon for sure, I feel like a crack head sometimes while on here.....lol
:!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts