MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one sweet little gun. I compared it against the glocks (something about them I just don't like), the Walther 99c, the Kahr, and the XD, and walked away with the M&P. I'm a hugh S&W fan, as they have always taken good care of me in the past and make an excellent product.

I had originally leaned toward the Glock 36, but I've heard that has some serious reliability issues. Mainly because in my opinion .45acp is a low recoil round compared to .40SW or .357SIG and I really hate to invest in yet again another round type. However, one of my goals is to make my wife comfortable with this gun, and 9mm seems to be an almost recoil-less load that is cheap to practice with - so I went with the 9c instead of the 40c (they had both and they were the same price).

Mine has no internal trigger lock and can be fired without the magazine. I believe that a gun should be immediately ready to fire upon unholstering with no safeties of any sort involved - which is why I've usually preferred revolvers.

I shot 150 rounds of WWB right after I bought it - it shot them as fast as I could load them with not FTE or FTF. My follow-up rates seems to be faster and more accurate than any of my other guns - except for my 1911. Accuracy up to 10 yards is very good, with tight and reliable groupings. 25-yards is stretching it for me, but I think I can improve over time.

The purpose of this gun is to be my primary concealed carry during winter months in Denver, Colorado. I am looking for recommendations on good personal defense ammunition, a general holster for glove-box use as is legal throughout Colorado (when I'm carrying my j-frame in the summer months), and a good IWB holster. I have found this gun can easily dissapear doing a mexican style carry, but I need a trigger guard (I tested this with an empty gun).

For ammo I prefer prefragmented because I am often in tight spaces and don't want to risk injuring bystanders with shoot-throughs. I use Magsafe Prefragmented in my 1911 for home defense. I am not interested in stopping power with one bullet - if I wanted that I'd carry my .44 mag with me every day. This has 12 rounds for a reason - and I'm more interested in deterring/debilitating a criminal than killing them with one shot - although I understand when lethal force is necessary. I am most interested in reliable feed in the M&P 9c, accuracy and easy follow-up, and reliability. Any suggestions on this front?

For glovebox/nightstand/trunk holsters, it would be nice to have one that has room for an extra clip to be attached as well. These would not need to be belt attachable, but that is a plus.

For IWB holsters I've been looking at the CrossBreed SuperTuck - which they have indicated is available for the M&P 9c. Does anybody have any experience with this one?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome targatop, I am glad that you are here. I hope that you enjoy your 9c as much as I do my .40c!!

Thanks for the report. The M&P's are great guns.

Ron

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome Targa! Congrats on the new baby.

I use a Uncle Mike's sidekick IWB without a strap. I use a size 36 (meant for a snubbie) but will be getting the 4" semi model soon so that it will sit a little lower. Mine is very comfortable and quick to draw from but it doesn't conceal as well as it would if it sat lower on my waist. The Uncle Mike's are super cheap and comfy. I like that I can leave the gun in the car and still keep the holster on since it isn't rigid. Makes bank and PO trips a little easier (for me at least).

I have no prefragmented ammo experience at all. I heard no complaints about M&P's being picky about ammo though.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Welcome!

You beat me to the punch on suggesting the crossbreed. I do not have the supertuck but I do have the standard IWB, that is modified, and love it. It is very comfortable, provides quick draw, and conceals quite nicely. Personally, I think it is quite a nice product. I have tried the Comp-tac C-TAC and Infidel as well as a Don Humes and a Fist K-1 and prefer the crossbreed by far. In regards to ammo, we currently use Winchester Rangers and Federal Hydra Shocks. There is alot of good defense ammo out there. Check out these threads for ammo tests and crossbreed mod.http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=470 , http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3824 and http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4142

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for their help.

I've been a fan of HydraShok for a while now in my other guns. I'm still giving thought to the holster type I desire. I might even go with the SOB from Crossbreed.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts