MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 2 new mags from MidwayUSA.com and I was expecting the new version (grey followers). I have experienced some bullet setback due to loading and unloading rounds, and I was hoping to test the grey followers for any improvement. I got the new mags, and they are the ones with black followers

Some people have stated that there is NO difference, as reported by S&W reps, but I don't always think they know what they are talking about. Others have said that the grey followers allow the top round to sit up higher. I am kinda irritated. What should I do?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The gray is only for the 9s not the 40s. The gray followers do not allow the round to sit up higher the height of the round is determined by the mag lips not the follower. The follower was redesigned to be slightly narrower at the top to get more pressure on the slide stop to ensure a slide lock on the last round.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'll defer to Dan on this - he's the expert but I suspect that there will be a re-design either on the mag follower and/or the mag lip on the 9mm Compact magazine. The fact that so many folks are having the slide lock back on the last round to me, is indicative of a mag design problem not a slide lever spring problem or a misaligned/bent or broken part problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
After several thousand rounds through my 9MM, occasionally, a couple of my magazines with the black followers fail to lock the slide back. The grey ones never fail.

I went to Brownells to order replacements, and they list the followers as 9MM/.40/.357 Sig all for the same part number, which is contrary to the comments above. I haven't called them yet, and I figured I would ask here is anyone knew what gives.

Any ideas of shall I try to track this one down?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The question is: Since they list only one part number, are the grey ones for all calibers, 9MM/.40/.357? All my .40 are fairly new are black.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
tb1911 said:
The question is: Since they list only one part number, are the grey ones for all calibers, 9MM/.40/.357? All my .40 are fairly new are black.
Dan Burwell said:
The gray is only for the 9s not the 40s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='tb1911']The question is: Since they list only one part number, are the grey ones for all calibers, 9MM/.40/.357? All my .40 are fairly new are black.
Dan Burwell said:
The gray is only for the 9s not the 40s.
[/quote]

So then Brownells must be in error since the list the one part for all three calibers. I will give them a call.

·
Registered
246 Posts
FWIW, S&W lists a unique part number for the fullsize 9MM and a different part number for the F/S 40s&w which is the same as the part number listed for the 40c and the 9c. :?:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWes...List_Retail.pdf

Parts Listing for Model: M&P9

08 278320000 $1.30 X MAGAZINE FOLLOWER

Parts Listing for Model: M&P40

08 278300000 $3.18 X MAGAZINE FOLLOWER

Parts Listing for Model: M&P9C

Parts Listing for Model: M&P40C

The last item is MidwayUSA's listing for the follower showing all calibers and a picture of a grey follower.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

All I can come up with is the grey follower is a newer design and S&W is using the old stock of the black followers until they are gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts