MP-Pistol Forum banner

New MP9 Initial Thoughts

6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  jtaliani 
#1 ·
I took delivery of my new M&P 9 today and after cleaning and lubing I thought I would share some initial thoughts.

To give you a little background I have owned a 1911, two H&Ks and an XD, all but the 1911 were 9mm. I should also say that I had Dan Burwell perform a trigger job on the pistol straight from Buds, so I do not know what the original trigger felt like.

• I will post more after I have had a chance to shoot the pistol. I cannot say that my expectations have not been met for the price I paid. S&W will sell many of these at around $450, but those looking for a more finely engineered pistol, may want to look elsewhere.

I have ordered a DMS recoil reducer in the meantime and will post my thoughts following installation and use.

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree with you about the slide's coating being a bit thin...

The pistol is ridiculously difficult to strip down. My XD required a simple turn of the slide release and pull of the trigger, this could not have been simpler. My HK's required you to pull back on the slide and remove the slide stop, that's all. In my opinion these are superior designs operationally, but they may not be necessarily safer.

You do realize that you can just pull the trigger instead of using that little doohickey inside the mag well? Same as you do with your XD... I have actually never used the uh...doohickey.. in the entire time I've owned my MnP

I think the tool is better being as hard to get out as it is... you can take it out, use the different back straps at the range (without the tool to lock them in), decide which fits you best and then lock that back strap into the pistol. Honestly how often will it be fussed with after that? And, I much prefer too hard to get out then the liability of it coming out at inopportune times...

#4 ·
I did not realize that I could just pull the trigger. I figured since the book explicity states to go through the process of using the tool to trip the sear that it was the only option. That begs the question, why the option to trip the sear in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I did not intend to sound too critical of the design, but it rivals a 1911 for quirkiness. My XD and H&K did not even require a review of the manual to dissassemble.

#6 ·
lol...I was taught on the M9 and the 1911, its pretty straight forward if you ask me. The reason they don't mention that you can simply dry fire the gun and disassemble, and the reason they include the special step/lever, is so that when police chiefs start shopping for a new gun for their PD this will cut down on negligent discharges by officers breaking down their weapons. It forces you to check the chamber.

It REALLY is just a band aid for bad gun handling and safety practices... a lot of police officers are under trained. BUT, that's another topic all together...

#7 ·
<You do realize that you can just pull the trigger instead of using that little doohickey inside the mag well? Same as you do with your XD... I have actually never used the uh...doohickey.. in the entire time I've owned my MnP>

Are you sure about this because the manual that came with my M&P 9 doesn't say anything about that?

I'd rather NOT use the tool, if I don't have to.

#8 ·
Yes, I'm sure....like I said, I have never once used that lever doodad in my entire ownership of the pistol.

***CHECK CHAMBER AND ENSURE THAT WEAPON IS UNLOADED****

then,

check the chamber again,

and THEN,

Lock your slide to the rear and rotate the take down lever (the one on the side of the pistol) downward, disengage the slide stop and ride the slide forward until you come against resistance, pull the trigger. Slide will slip right off. Ta-da!

From my understanding there are no ill effects to this... except it will not cover for bad personal weapon safety.

#9 ·
From my understanding there are no ill effects to this... except it will not cover for bad personal weapon safety.
Depending on your view about dry firing, there is also the potential damage to your striker. Some say it's bad some say it's fine, probably better safe then sorry. Of course, worst case scenario, other then an ND, is that you have to pick up a new striker.

#12 ·
I just push the little doohickey down with my finger, I only used the tool the first time or two I took it down, compared to some of my other pistols, this one is incredibly easy!

#13 ·
It's funny, I've been pretty hard on my slide and I can't manage to scratch it. I think it's incredibly tough, at least both my M&P's are.

And, the takedown as mentioned is "Glock-like", but they effected the lever/rod method to keep idiots from ND'ing while field stripping the gun, which is why the manual makes no mention of the easy takedown method.

The M&P is not a highly refined work of art, it's a rugged military pistol. I've got zero complaints.

#14 ·
More Feedback

Well, I took the gun to the range today and put 200 rounds down range with no failures of any kind. The gun performed flawlessly and I was all center mass out to 15 yards. I must say that this is the most accurate weapon I have owned. The recoil was very light, and should be lighter still after the DMS recoil system I ordered is installed. The mag are also very easy to load compared to my USP9c, which took a lot of effort and led to a sore thumb.

Dan Burwell's trigger job was outstanding. There is no grit to the trigger. There is a little pretravel and then a crisp break at about 3.5 lbs (by feel). I was able to double tap without issue. I also think the stock sights, are a good mix of narrow front and wide rear. I will try to keep the dimensions when ordering replacement sights next year. I am not a fan of three-dot sights.

The dealer at the range I frequent is not terribly excited about the M&P. He likes the pistol but told me that they had problems with light primer strikes. I told him that this was probably an issue with early models as I had not heard this issue lately.

Anyway, I now have to determine if the pistol is too big to carry after I get my Don Hume holster that I ordered, and if so, if a compact should be purchases as well.

#15 ·

• A very easy way to remove the tool is to use the front lip (?) on the bottom of the magazine to pry it up. Mine got easier to pull out after a little use anyway. I find break down a snap and I have to resort to a "how to manuel" to screw in a light bulb. You are going to enjoy your MP!

By the way, if you ever sell one of your guns let me know. You really do doctor up your guns! 8)

#16 ·
moshooter said:
I took delivery of my new M&P 9 today and after cleaning and lubing I thought I would share some initial thoughts.

To give you a little background I have owned a 1911, two H&Ks and an XD, all but the 1911 were 9mm. I should also say that I had Dan Burwell perform a trigger job on the pistol straight from Buds, so I do not know what the original trigger felt like.

• I will post more after I have had a chance to shoot the pistol. I cannot say that my expectations have not been met for the price I paid. S&W will sell many of these at around $450, but those looking for a more finely engineered pistol, may want to look elsewhere.

I have ordered a DMS recoil reducer in the meantime and will post my thoughts following installation and use.

• Quit lookin' at it and start shooting it!

#18 ·
Right to the point......

JohnN Quote:

Quit lookin' at it and start shooting it!

As Larry the cable guy would say "now that's funny, I don't care who you are"!!!!!

#19 ·
JohnN said:
[quote name='moshooter']I took delivery of my new M&P 9 today and after cleaning and lubing I thought I would share some initial thoughts.

• Quit lookin' at it and start shooting it![/quote]That's alot nicer than I was gonna say, so........

#20 ·
That's alot nicer than I was gonna say, so........

You know, one would start to think that an honest assessment of a firearm that this board focuses on would be welcome. I posted my observations based on my initial thoughts, just what the title of the post mentioned. I also posted again with my observations on how great the gun shoots. I have owned several different polymer firearms, most of which this gun attempts to compete against (XD, H&K). I would think this would give my opinion more weight than the guy who just bought an M&P as his first handgun and has no idea where it stands with regard to the competition. I do not regard a $450 polymer gun as a safe queen, but its more than just a tool for me. It is a reflection of my tastes, preferences and standards by which I would protect my life with. If a manufacturer promotes certain qualities of a pistol such as superior design and quality of materials, then I consider that an invitation for a little honest personal criticism. You can disagree, but to dismiss my thoughts as immaterial does not improve the quality of the board, nor encourage folks to post more than "+1" responses.

#21 ·
All opinions are welcome, the good and the bad. Please don't hesitate to share any of your impressions.
We're all here to have a good time, work through our problems, and learn all we can about our firearms. The only way that will be successful is to have all the information. Let's keep it friendly and keep the posts coming. 8)

#22 ·
It's gonna be alright.....

Moshooter:

Don't get your feeling hurt. Most of us do appreciate your analytical approach. It's a nasty job but somebody has to do it. Lots of nice people here but they are not above poking a little fun at other posters now and then.

Your posts are welcome, keep posting.

#23 ·
Easy, I don't think he was dismissing your opinions. I think he was trying to say that you should shoot it before you get too disappointed with the M&P. At least that is how I interpreted his reply.

I thought your initial observations were fair, based on your experiences.

#24 ·
My feelings are not hurt, nor do I take offense. I am an adult after all. I was just responding to some quick responses that indicated that I needed to shoot the gun before I could make any reasonable assessment as to its design or quality, which I do not believe is the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.