MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am happy to have found this site, since the M&P is the top gun on my list right now (ahead of the XD, but I have to shoot it). I have done some shooting with a Glock, XD, 1911, .22s, 9mm, and a few shotguns, on many occassions, but I'm still a new guy. I have a lot to learn, but I look forward to the education. In the near future, I hope to get into a class that teaches some basic weapons-handling and self-defense tactics. The gun I get will be used for home defense certainly, but also concealed carry when it's prudent.

Thanks for having me

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome!!! I'm sure that you will be very happy with the M&P once you shoot one. If not, any of the other guns that you have listed would be a good choice. There are many people here that have experience with the other pistols you mentioned along with the M&P and I've found that most people here are willing to give you a straight up answer about their experiences w/ them.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome. I've shot a Glock 17, XD9 and the MP all back to back and IMO the MP was best, so thats what I bought.
But everyone is different so get what you like best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alan0269 said:
...If not, any of the other guns that you have listed would be a good choice...
I have held the M&P in the store. Based ONLY on that impression, I am just about ready to buy it. In the rare chance that the M&P handles poorly at the range, I still like the XD as an alternative.

The M&P fits my hand very well, better than anything I have held at this point. I cannot imagine that its manners at the range could be SO AWEFUL that I would be turned away from this gun. What is the MOST important characteristic of a gun: comfort in hand, trigger-feel, recoil feel, or something else? If the comfort is great and the trigger-feel is just OK, would another gun with subpar comfort but good trigger-feel be better?

It is going to take a while for me to get this gun. I need to use it at the range (hopefully tomorrow), but then I will need to order it. I really want the full-size M&P .40 with no lock, no mag safety, and night-sights. My dealer said he cannot order this gun without both the lock and mag safety; he said it is only available with one or the other (or both) :?

Thanks for all the welcomes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jtaliani said:
The plus of the situation is that removing either, particularly the mag. safety, is quite easy and inexpensive.
I am worried about that option, in the case that anything ever had to go to court. I suspect that prosecutors like to hear that a shooter has modified his/her gun. All the more reason to become very familiar with the laws, and when defensive action is condoned. Removing the mag safety is probably my only option.

ryansmith16 said:
welcome! i've been on this site 2 days and can't get enough!
I am just as bad as you. This site keeps me up late at night, reading gun-talk, when I should be sleeping

1 - 11 of 11 Posts