MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ammo

Time @ the shooting range is the only thing that will break in a handgun. So go to range and shoot out about 1000 rounds

·
Registered
910 Posts
Everyone has there different beliefs as far as breaking new guns in. Some people clean, shoot one, clean, shoot one... doing this for about 15 rounds, then put 150-200 through it, then clean, and repeat with another 150 or so. Some people clean, and out a few hundred rounds through it.

I just take mine to the range and put ammo through them until I'm happy, and then take it home and clean it until the next trip to the range. I took a new AR-15 to the range about a year ago straight out of the box and put 500 rounds of XM193 through it without cleaning it. Ran fine without any issues. Never had any issues with any of my guns in the 14 years I've been shooting, and I've been breaking them in the same way the whole time. All guns have always been reliable and accurate.

Go by the manual(if you even bother reading it), or just develope your own technique.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No matter which way you decide to break in your gun; whether it is running it until it stops then cleaning, or babying it, a good rule of thumb is if it is going to be your carry weapon, put at least 500-1000 through it or until you are satisfied with its reliability.

Personally I took it home gave it a good cleaning and lube then put 300 through it and I repeat the process as often as I can.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
An accurated rifle requires a lot of break in, a handgun such as this doesn't. Clean it, put rounds through it (200+) and clean and lube. Just do no over heat the barrel. Usually not a concern unless you have 6 mags loaded and burn through them. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I drench with a CLP of which my favorite right now is Eezox. Wipe down the pistol, clean the bore, overlube a little bit and then put at least a couple hundred rounds through it including practice ammo and carry ammo.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Just clean it to remove the factory gunk out of it, and then run a bunch of ammo through it. I'd recommend 1000 rounds as some have discovered problems as late as 600ish rounds. I only say that if this is going to be a carry gun or if you're just dying to know, like I was, if you are among the minority of M&P owners who have problems with their pistol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
as soon as I hit 500 on my M&P9 the trigger really got nice and crisp feels great now.

Using Weapon Shield CLP and Lithi Shield on the rails.. Like being on ball bearings!

·
Registered
319 Posts
i just grabbed box of WWB 115gr, and shot about 50rds. then ran the patch few times, and shot the rest of it. working great ever since

·
Registered
69 Posts
It really depends with me, sometimes I disassemble and clean first, sometimes I don't. I've never had any problems shooting a new gun I didn't clean first. I realize it may make more sense to clean them first when you really stop to think about it, but as I said, I've never had troubles either way.

I did not clean my M&P 9 before shooting it. It is currently back at S&W for shooting 6" low, but I don't think cleaning it first would have made a difference!

·
Registered
170 Posts
before you shoot it. clean it GOOD.

then as posted shoot 500+ rounds of ball ammo. untill you feel comfortable with it

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have found 1911's, especially Kimbers, need it more than Sigs, Glocks, etc. then again Wilson says don't take theirs apart and clean but shoot the snot out of it first. i think its 500 rounds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I run a snake through the barrel to get the factory gunk out and then shoot up a lot of ammo, cleaning it when I run out of ammo, money or both.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's easy:

1. Do a quick field strip (i.e. take the slide off, remove spring, remove barrel), and clean all the parts. Make sure you snake the barrel or use something similar.

2. Go shoot it. 250 rounds is bare minimum (IMO). If you intend on using it as a conceal carry weapon, I would put at least 500 rounds. Although the price of ammo is ridiculous, just think about it this way...is your life worth the price of 500 rounds?

3. Clean it after you're done. Step 1 above should be suffice. I would do a thorough clean when I hit 1000 rounds.

4. Go shoot it again as soon as possible.

There is some exception to the above guide, but this is the bare minimum. If you intend on carrying a larger caliber firearm (i.e. .45 cal) or a subcompact firearm (i.e. M&Pc), shooting 500 rounds in a day can lead to a very long long day and a very sore hand. I would shoot lower amount of rounds (i.e. 250), but I would go back to the range asap.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts