MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new m+p 9mm my first handgun!Is this a good gun to learn some technique on or would a glock 17 been a better choice.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
bjhill2 said:
Just bought a new m+p 9mm my first handgun!Is this a good gun to learn some technique on or would a glock 17 been a better choice.

M&P > Glock any day of the week. You picked up a great gun to learn on, grown on, and defend your life with. Congrats.

·
Registered
501 Posts
bjhill2 said:

It's hard to say, here we'll tell you the Glock is the best but over on Glock Talk I'm sure they'll all say the M&P is the best choice. I suppose you'll just have to make do with what you bought.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:
[quote name='bjhill2']Just bought a new m+p 9mm my first handgun!Is this a good gun to learn some technique on or would a glock 17 been a better choice.

It's hard to say, here we'll tell you the Glock is the best but over on Glock Talk I'm sure they'll all say the M&P is the best choice. I suppose you'll just have to make do with what you bought.[/quote]

My brain started to bleed and my eyes began to cry after trying to contemplate that...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Grimwulff said:
[quote name='mikenkansas'][quote name='bjhill2']Just bought a new m+p 9mm my first handgun!Is this a good gun to learn some technique on or would a glock 17 been a better choice.

It's hard to say, here we'll tell you the Glock is the best but over on Glock Talk I'm sure they'll all say the M&P is the best choice. I suppose you'll just have to make do with what you bought.[/quote]

My brain started to bleed and my eyes began to cry after trying to contemplate that...[/quote]

When you get older you'll understand tongue in cheek better..... 8)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mikenkansas said:

No sleep for 30+ hr, tongue near check, all I know.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
mikenkansas said:

While it's not uncommon for a stroke to cause partial paralysis on one side of the face, with proper medical attention and therapy you can hopefully overcome the worst of it.

:twisted:

To the OP: not to jump on you but is there a reason you decided to ask your question after buying the M&P? Anyway, my thoughts:

• Good choice. Least recoil you'll get in a semiauto suitable for carry, home defense, or competition (if any of those things are in your plans for the future). Ammunition is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
  • Ergonomics: Excellent choice in the M&P. Three different sized grips, reversible mag catch, ambi slide release ... it's about the most ergonomic gun on the market and can be tailored to your exact needs without resorting to expensive aftermarket modifications.
  • Safety: Moderate. It has a big benefit over the Glock in that you do not need to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun; while many will harp on the "it's a training issue" mantra the fact is that far too many people, especially less experienced people, make mistakes which lead to very loud unintended noises. However, for a first pistol I'd usually recommend something with a positive manual safety ... when you're first learning to handle a firearm, it's not a bad idea to have a "dumb switch." The trigger on your M&P is fairly light and requires fairly little movement to go off; you will have to be vigilant about keeping your finger away from the trigger until the moment you want the gun to fire.

• The most important aspect of learning to shoot is learning to shoot. Don't assume you can just figure it out on your own. Contact local gun clubs, gun shops, or the NRA to find an organized program of instruction in your area. A few hours spent taking an NRA First Steps, Basic Pistol, or Personal Protection class will do more for you than a year's worth of figuring it out on your own.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Jesus, this ToddG kid is such a know-it-all... GAWD!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']Jesus, this ToddG kid is such a know-it-all... GAWD!

You call me a know-it-all but you're the one who thinks Jesus is reading your posts.

[/quote]

He is. He wants to see how far the corruption has spread.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Wow I misssed ALOT

·
Registered
660 Posts
My first handgun was a G19. I had picked an MP9c but there was no range at the gun shop and I wasn't sure about how good it was so I went with the Glock. My CHL was still hot so I wanted one now. About three weeks later I got to shoot the MP9c. I ordered one online the next day. Wish I had known about it and I would have saved $500 in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts