MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my M&P back from S&W and test fired it last weekend. Smith & Wesson replaced the slide, barrel and recoil spring. I was so happy to get it back! I went out with 100 rounds of Blazer Brass. The first 50 rounds went off without a hitch. The second box had 4 failures to go into battery. The rounds were stuck half way into the chamber. Each time a pull and push chambered the rounds. Right now I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a break in issue. When I cleaned it, the problem seemed to disappear. I will take it out tomorrow and try it again. Accuracy seems to be better, though after shooting a heavy, steady 1911 for quite a while I really feel like I must stay on top of my game to shoot the M&P accurately. It is definitely not as forgiving as my 1911, probably due to the lighter weight. The lighter weight sure does makes it easier to carry than that old battleship 1911! Hopefully, it will sort itself out.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Did you lube it before you shot it? I shot my new M&P .45 straight out of the box and it failed to go into battery on the second magazine. A drop of oil down each rail, and it's been flawless since.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
revchuck said:
Did you lube it before you shot it? I shot my new M&P .45 straight out of the box and it failed to go into battery on the second magazine. A drop of oil down each rail, and it's been flawless since.

Sure did. I did a regular lube. For my trip tomorrow I am using a little bit more just to be sure. I will be leaving it a little wet this time. I may also switch to WWB for tomorrow's session.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only brass I'll reload is Winchester, Federal, or Speer. The Remington and Blazer stuff specifically feels like 'mush' on the press whereas the previously mentioned manufacturer's product has a much more crisp feel, even after 10 cycles. I'd say your move to WWB is a wise one

·
Registered
17 Posts
I broke mine in with around 500 rounds of Blazer Brass and did not encounter a single failure.

Does this happen with all of your factory magazines?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave said:
I broke mine in with around 500 rounds of Blazer Brass and did not encounter a single failure.

Does this happen with all of your factory magazines?

I only have two magazines and all the failures were with the same magazine. Does this smell like a magazine problem? I totally discounted a bad magazine because they are both new and the springs are strong. I am in the habit of keeping one loaded with the carry rounds and one empty for practice. Then I rotate them every few weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I have encountered feed failures the magazine is often the culprit. It doesn't happen very often since I don't shoot 1911s.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I finally figured out my issue, I had to change from Blazer Brass to WWB to get my MP45 to function reliably. This is a complete opposite of my MP9 which didn't like WWB at first but now it will digest anything. Hopefully after another 200-rounds the MP45 will be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ToddG said:
It could certainly be the result of damaged feed lips on one magazine. Did the mags go to S&W along with the gun?

Yes, they sure did. The feed lips look okay to me though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gtmtnbiker98 said:
I finally figured out my issue, I had to change from Blazer Brass to WWB to get my MP45 to function reliably. This is a complete opposite of my MP9 which didn't like WWB at first but now it will digest anything. Hopefully after another 200-rounds the MP45 will be fine.

I will definitely try some WWB tomorrow.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hope it works out for you. My MP45 has already been back to S&W due to a failure to correctly reassemble. I had to depress the striker plunger and push the striker forward in order for the slide to re-attach to the frame. Anyway, S&W stated that it was an out-of-spec part which ended with a barrel replacement.

The above stated issue was one of two, the second was the FTFs. Upon return it was still FTF; however, I had only used Blazer Brass (Wal-Mart cheap). I decided to switch ammo to WWB - deciding what the heck, couldn't hurt. Well what would you know, the WWB functioned flawlessly through the .45. Perhaps after a few more hundred rounds of WWB I will try Blazer Brass again. The MP45 is starting to settle in a bit and I'm sure over time I will regain trust in it.

I feel that the coated internal parts (i.e. lock block) is a major cause of some of the feeding issues with the M&Ps. I've encountered break-in issues with my MP9 and now my MP45 and it appears that once the pistol wears in it becomes reliable. By wearing in, I mean when the black coating (whatever it is) wears away. Knocking on wood, but to date, my MP40 is flawless; however, it has the lowest round count (200-rounds so far).

With all that said, I am really contemplating the purchase of the Dark Earth MP45, that other thread with the pic is down right killing my wallet, right now. I must resist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today I put 100 WWB, 10 BB and 4 GSHP through her. There were no problems and I now have the sights dialed in. I am now expecting good things ahead with this pistol. After I moved the rear sight my first two shots were dead on at 25 yards. At this point I only had around 20 practice rounds left. The rest of the shots were all in the black and respectable.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I would recommend cleaning and overlubing for break in. Both of my .45's and .40 have had a steady diet of Blazer Brass with no issues. I broke in my first .45 by putting 250 rounds of Blazer Brass through it in a short period of time and did not have a single issue.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
OK, but what does quality of brass for reloading have to do with reliability of out of the box ammo? He doesn't say he is reloading it.

BigBoresRock said:
The only brass I'll reload is Winchester, Federal, or Speer. The Remington and Blazer stuff specifically feels like 'mush' on the press whereas the previously mentioned manufacturer's product has a much more crisp feel, even after 10 cycles. I'd say your move to WWB is a wise one

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today another 100 rounds of WWB and no issues. Accuracy was good at 25 yards for a lightweight carry 45. This gun is a great shooter. A head sized target is now no problem for this weapon at that range. That is what I was looking for in this weapon; an easy carrying combat weapon. It does not pull down my pants like my full size 1911 does. So, this is a happy ending to this story.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today another 100 rounds of WWB and no issues. Accuracy was good at 25 yards for a lightweight carry 45. This gun is a great shooter. A head sized target is now no problem for this weapon at that range. That is what I was looking for in this weapon; an easy carrying combat weapon. It does not pull down my pants like my full size 1911 does. So, this is a happy ending to this story.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts