MP-Pistol Forum banner

New shield 2.0 owner... question please...

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  PaPow 
#1 ·
Hello all.. after being a lifetime glock fan I decided to try a shield 2.0 9. Fantastic little gun. Here’s my question for anyone who can give advice. First time to the range had about one ftf every couple mags. Yes it was lubed prior and I was using white box range ammo. Does this sound normal for a new shield 2.0 running basic range ammo and should I expect it to run better once it breaks in? Thanks in advance

And no I wasn’t limp wristing it :)

#4 ·
I have several Shields. I had FTE trouble in one of them with Winchester White Box. I chalked it up to a bad box, because that is the only time that particular pistol ever had any trouble. I had and have shot WWB through it before and after....I chalked it up to a bad box of ammo as that was a single bargain basement priced box of ammo bought at a gun show....who knows how it was stored.....

#6 ·
WWB isn't any weaker than any other range ammo, I've shot a lot of it and haven't had any problems.
Give the Shield a chance to break in.

For what it's worth, keeping springs compressed isn't near as effective as full cycles of the spring, racked back, slammed forward, racked back slammed forward.
Same with magazine springs, loading and unloading them will make them easier to use than just leaving them loaded for weeks at a time.

Simple physics, not old wive's tales.

#7 ·
First time to the range had about one ftf every couple mags.
Send it in for repair. A Smith & Wesson handgun (or any quality handgun for that matter) should work properly out of the box without “break-in”.

I had a new shield that I had to send in. If I remember correctly they said the replaced the extractor and polished the feed ramp. It’s ran flawlessly every since. They emailed me shipping labels and turn about time back then was about two weeks.

There’s noting wrong with WWB for range ammo and your gun should function fine with it. What is happening is not normal, there is something wrong with your gun.

#8 ·
I agree with sandhog and ToolMaker. It should work from the start. That said my 2.0 9mm Shield Compact had one or two FTFs only during the first and maybe second trip to range. I am saying maybe two total. Nothing since with any grain or quality ammo.

However, my 2.0 9mm EZ had numerous FTF's in the beginning. Sent it back and got a new barrel. It still took a couple hundred more rounds and keeping the feed ramp and top of magazine and feed lips very lightly lubed. Not sure what helped, but it is fine now. The springs on the EZ are too light and probably most of the problem.

If it isn't good by your third range trip I would send it back to S&W for repair.

I have heard and agree with the comments that all the increase in sales, hence production quantity, S&W's QC isn't quite what it use to be. More issues than in the past. Not saying they are not a great company and I love my guns. I also I found this drop in QC to be in other areas of manufacturing. Household goods etc.

This all IMHO, and the folks here are much more experienced than me. So, just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the Shield. Great gun.

And, happy Holidays to all!!!!!!

#10 ·
Hello all.. after being a lifetime glock fan I decided to try a shield 2.0 9. Fantastic little gun. Here’s my question for anyone who can give advice. First time to the range had about one ftf every couple mags. Yes it was lubed prior and I was using white box range ammo. Does this sound normal for a new shield 2.0 running basic range ammo and should I expect it to run better once it breaks in? Thanks in advance

And no I wasn’t limp wristing it :)
Did the rounds show a solid strike on the primer? Did you notice if it was the same mag? I like to mark my mags so I can tell them apart if needed.

Really, it should function properly with any ammo, but a new gun doesn't always come clean and well-lubed either.

Check it over for any type of metal shavings or debris inside, clean and lube it, and try again.

Sending it in (I've done it, but not for a functioning issue) might be the best answer. You really need to know it's going to function flawlessly if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.