MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a new Shield 9mm yesterday. I put about 200 rounds through it so far. I've had some issues with mine that other people also seem to be having with their new Shields. Sometimes it is hard to reassemble the pistol after a take down to get the slide back on properly (and yes the spring & barrel are being seated correctly and centered). I know the spring is extremely tight, but I am thinking that my spring may be defective because it doesn't look normal to me and sometimes it will not depress at all when trying to reassemble it. I don't have any trouble racking the slide when the pistol is assembled. I'll post some pictures here so you guys can hopefully tell me if the spring looks normal to you or not; or if I should get it replaced. The spring looks wavey and the end of it looks bent IMO. Also another issue I'm having is when the slide is locked back, it is almost impossible to use the slide lock lever to release the slide as it is VERY stiff, and I think that this may be another problem because of the spring tension? :huh: I never had any issues like this with my old M&P 40c I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
The spring looks questionable. The slide stop is just that, a slide stop. I do not believe it is intended to be a release. That is what I understood from reading the manual. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a release if it were wore enough from trying to use it as such, but this may also wear it to the point it may stop locking as well. The spring being tweaked like yours is looks like it would require extra effort to get it to compress enough to get the slide back to lock. JMO, I'd try to PM KR and see what he says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spring is normal, if you search the forum people will tell you it smooths out after about a 1000 rounds or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I tend to use the slide and slingshot a new round in the chamber anyways after a reload, but this is the only pistol that I have handled where the slide lock will not release the slide unless you put massive amounts of force into it. Just something I haven't experienced before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I tend to use the slide and slingshot a new round in the chamber anyways after a reload, but this is the only pistol that I have handled where the slide lock will not release the slide unless you put massive amounts of force into it. Just something I haven't experienced before.
Yeah, I just picked up my new Shield and where I live and according to state law a safe handling demonstration of the purchased firearm is required. Not only am I left-handed and appreciate a slide stop that reasonably releases using my trigger finger but on this baby forget about it either way! At the urging of the certified handgun safety instructor it was suggested that I just slingshot it, which I did.

Kind of interesting, but maybe the Shields' is meant as a slide stop only, as stated previously. I will look into it further and also review the manual more closely re that issue, and will also call S&W about it.

As an aside, the exact opposite procedure, absolutely and without equivocation- concerns the slide stop/release on the Kahr pistols. All rounds are to be chambered by solely using the slide release. Reason cited in the manual is that pistol may not go into battery adequately.

Interesting it is how pistols may differ.

p.s. My captive recoil spring on the Shield is similar to OP's. At least one poster says it looks normal for the pistol. Apparently OP had no problems shooting the pistol. I haven't shot mine yet but it cycles normally in my view, and I'm not concerned about it- yet.

Is there a way to change the display skin on this forum? I did not see that in the 'Options' under my User CP. Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
...As an aside, the exact opposite procedure, absolutely and without equivocation- concerns the slide stop/release on the Kahr pistols. All rounds are to be chambered by solely using the slide release. Reason cited in the manual is that pistol may not go into battery adequately.
That's exactly why I didn't get a Kahr when I started shopping for a single stack 9mm.

Randy

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's exactly why I didn't get a Kahr when I started shopping for a single stack 9mm.

Randy
With respect to your comment, Randy, I became accustomed to doing it that way (without complaint) and once the gun is sufficiently broken in you can slingshot all that you want. I had that choice and continued the recommended method as I was used to it and it did not bother me.

But I believe it unfortunate that it was a deal-breaker for you. It's a pretty cool firearm, especially the CW series (priced affordably).

Limited to one forum 'skin' here? I am new.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My recoil spring looked very similar when new, and it was extremely hard to cycle the slide by hand, but as most have said, after just a few hundred rounds (with only one failure to feed) it cycles easily now. The spring has also flattened out some, it looks almost flush now.

As for the slide stop, I took a polishing stone to the edge of the stop, where it meets the slide, and polished it to a mirror finish, I never touched the slide itself, and I can release the slide now, easily with my thumb.

Bring it to the range, or better yet, take a class or course with it, by the time you're done, it will less stiff, the mags will be less stiff, and if you aren't impressed with the accuracy, and how FUN it is to shoot, I'll be surprised!

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
My spring looks pretty much the same, my Shield was hard to rack when new too, but after a few hundred rounds down range its much better. I was a little concerned when i first noticed the spring, but I've got close to a thousand rounds through it and not 1 hiccup. I suggest shooting it and, shooting it some more and it will break in real nice.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
With respect to your comment, Randy, I became accustomed to doing it that way (without complaint) and once the gun is sufficiently broken in you can slingshot all that you want. I had that choice and continued the recommended method as I was used to it and it did not bother me.

But I believe it unfortunate that it was a deal-breaker for you. It's a pretty cool firearm, especially the CW series (priced affordably).

Limited to one forum 'skin' here? I am new.
Welcome to the forum!

Spring is normal, if you search the forum people will tell you it smooths out after about a 1000 rounds or so.

+1 ! :yes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still getting used to this pistol and I'm sure it will only get better with more rounds fired through it like you guys said. I've been racking the slide a lot and keeping the slide locked back and it feels a little better now. I'll be going back to the range soon to put another 200 rounds or so through it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am finding that to be less so as my gun breaks in. Have only shot about 135 rounds but I can chamber using slide stop with less difficulty now and I am left-handed.

For the most part, I use the slingshot method.

But as a former Kahr owner, I do believe there is less chance of a 'going into battery problem' by using the slide release to chamber the first round. YMMV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SHIELD YOURSELF, that is just what mine looks like. I bought mine 11-28-14, got home with it an attempted to disassemble. I have never experienced such a difficult time to get a firearm apart. Liked to have never gotten it locked back. Tried it again later and the same thing.
I thought, this is in now way normal. Decided to take it to the range and fire some rounds through it to see if that would help. Had two failures to eject out of 55 rounds. For the most part it was difficult to rack the slide after reloading between rounds.
Read a lot of the same complaints on this forum yesterday, after which, I decided to get my Shield and break it down to see how dirty it might be and if it would rack easier...nothing had changed with that and it was more than a chore to get it locked back.
Finally got it apart and examined the recoil spring. Glad I found your post w/pics. because that is exactly what mine looks like.
Thanks for posting those. Guess I will be calling S&W Monday for a label to ship it back for them to correct the problem.
Keep us posted as to disposition of your problem. I will do the same.

Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Much ado about 'nothing'...

SHIELD YOURSELF, that is just what mine looks like. I bought mine 11-28-14, got home with it an attempted to disassemble. I have never experienced such a difficult time to get a firearm apart. Liked to have never gotten it locked back. Tried it again later and the same thing.
I thought, this is in now way normal. Decided to take it to the range and fire some rounds through it to see if that would help. Had two failures to eject out of 55 rounds. For the most part it was difficult to rack the slide after reloading between rounds.
Read a lot of the same complaints on this forum yesterday, after which, I decided to get my Shield and break it down to see how dirty it might be and if it would rack easier...nothing had changed with that and it was more than a chore to get it locked back.
Finally got it apart and examined the recoil spring. Glad I found your post w/pics. because that is exactly what mine looks like.
Thanks for posting those. Guess I will be calling S&W Monday for a label to ship it back for them to correct the problem.
Keep us posted as to disposition of your problem. I will do the same.

Ed
My opinion-your post is 'much ado about nothing', a non-existent problem. You don't understand the firearm, how to take it down, clean it, have too high expectations, just don't understand it, have no patience. There's nothing wrong with recoil spring- the only criticism of the firearm that has any possible merit is that it's difficult at first to rack the slide back. It's tight for a reason.

Hold slide stop up right thumb as you push forward on frame with your right hand while concurrently pulling slide back with your left. The slide will lock and find sweet spot on its own and you will do blindfolded soon.

It's the best fun shooter of all 9's that I've shot with over the years! Loads of fun and accurate, too, with less perceived recoil and muzzle flip than with my Beretta!

·
Registered
713 Posts
eahill... I'm guessing that you haven't compared your recoil spring assembly to the pics in you manual. The pics in the Original Post look pretty much the same as the pics on page 24 of the manual (both the waviness and the 'bent' end). If yours look like his, it is normal.

Shart1971... Have you gotten the replacement from S&W yet? How does it compare to your original? Please post some side-by-side comparison pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts