MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m a new by, first time pistol owner. I’ve already been chastised for calling a “magazine” a “clip”.

So today’s question is, what the correct terminology for our ammo? Bullets, shells, ammo.....what’s correct?

I’m a new S&W M&P Shield 2.0 9mm owner

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yup, Freedom Seeds would work. :D

Good question and you get extra points for asking it so that you can discuss things using the correct definitions.

What we don't call ammo are "bullets". Bullets are the projectiles that come out of the barrel and can be seen as only one component of the cartridge or round. They poke out of the end of the brass opposite the primer. I've given you lots of info already. What do we call cartridges? I find the generic ammo (ammunition), rounds, and cartridges to be acceptable. With shotguns "shells" or ammo is used. Again for shotguns, I've never heard them called cartridges since that's more used for metallic cartridges and not paper or plastic shotgun shells. But just don't call metallic cartridges bullets. Again, a bullet is merely one component of a cartridge or round which we load into guns to get them to launch the bullet out of the barrel.

FWIW, the other components of a cartridge are a primer, brass, and powder. A shotgun shell is slightly different with the case or hull, primer, powder, wad, and shot or slug.

I hope you weren't chastised too badly for screwing up magazine and clip. Knowledgeable folks have done the same and there is some ambiguity between the 2. But in general the difference is clear. Just don't get your terminology from hellywood but from actual experienced shooters and you should be good. :D Except when it comes to bullets. Lots of folks just spew out that bullet nonsense and don't know any better. You'll even read that misuse of the word here from folks who should know better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hmm, I always call cannon rounds shells, As in "Did you see that 120mm smooth bore shell hit Brian's house?" I think it blowed up real good.
Clip vs magazine and you are going to called out about 80% of the time, it is improper and and sort of ghetto. Mags or mag are also acceptable.
Bullets is pretty unacceptable except in the case of something like: Did you see ToolMaker take that .380 bullet to the groin and just walk it off?
He's such a badass that the .380 round can't hurt him, Oh wait he's dead.
I prefer rounds but very few on here will call you out, there are many posts where people type fast and the spelling error or occasional dropped word happens.
You'll find there very few Grammar Nazis here but clip is going to probably going to get you called out unless you you are talking about a M1 Garand.

You'll find that most of the conversations are a little more interesting then grammar etiquette. We also can cuss a bit within reason.
Basically stop worrying about petty bullshit and tell us what you think about your Shield 2.0., this is an M&P forum and not a creative writing class.
Most of all, have fun. Learn and try and teach, we are all here to learn.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Always enjoy hearing what you have to say Mick - good information, a unique perspective, and just a touch of abrasiveness...

·
Registered
402 Posts
As you see we are having fun. A bunch of people will have questions, a bunch will have answers and we all have different opinions.
Yet for the most part we all get along.
This isn't my Glock is longer then your Glock. You have come to the right website.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you reach in your pocket and pay for it call it anything you want and the next person that corrects you hold out the jar they need to put the money in to have an opinion.

I'm heading out to fire off a box of bangey things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a new Shield 2.0 owner as well. Honestly I call them Mags and Ammo. My friend who who I shoot with pretty regularly, who's also a Glock fanboy, also calls them Mags and Ammo.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. As stated before, call it what you want, within reason, because it's your money that's purchasing it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Its the stuff that makes it go "Bang". Or, hopefully, "Bang, Bang, Bang,......" if you need more than one.

I just call it ammo.

You really don't have to call it anything, just have enough in stock when you need it............

·
Registered
404 Posts
Magazines are called magazines or mags. Ammunition is called ammunition or ammo. Ammunition consists of a bullet, a shell casing, powder and a primer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts