MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Yesterday I purchased a new shield plus 9mm at a gun show. Upon getting home, I ran 3 boxes of ammo through it and the slide is failing to lock in the open position after the last round. This is happening with both magazines. The slide will however lock back if I attempt to chamber with an empty mag. They did not give me a bill of sale which I later found out is required to return for warranty work with S&W. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
420 Posts
Was this sold "as new"? What ammo are you using? I would try a different ammo.

I would disassemble it and clean/lube the pistol if you haven't already. Check the magazines for smooth operation, clean if necessary, and spray dry lube inside.

I don't believe you need to supply any sale info to S&W for warranty work, but you could call and confirm if you decide that's the only solution.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's a small gun, make sure your hand/finger isn't interfering with the slide stop.
I second this... I've been shooting since the 70s and the Shield is the only pistol I owned where I need to be aware of my thumb placement.
The ONLY times my slide didn't lock back, I took note of my grip and sure enough, my thumb was resting against the Slide Lock.
It happens... Before thinking 'Service', "Freeze" and assess your grip. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, Yesterday I purchased a new shield plus 9mm at a gun show. Upon getting home, I ran 3 boxes of ammo through it and the slide is failing to lock in the open position after the last round. This is happening with both magazines. The slide will however lock back if I attempt to chamber with an empty mag. They did not give me a bill of sale which I later found out is required to return for warranty work with S&W. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance
Was this sold "as new"? What ammo are you using? I would try a different ammo.

I would disassemble it and clean/lube the pistol if you haven't already. Check the magazines for smooth operation, clean if necessary, and spray dry lube inside.

I don't believe you need to supply any sale info to S&W for warranty work, but you could call and confirm if you decide that's the only solution.
Yes I bought it new and tried a couple types of ammo that shoot fine in my other 9mm’s. Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second this... I've been shooting since the 70s and the Shield is the only pistol I owned where I need to be aware of my thumb placement.
The ONLY times my slide didn't lock back, I took note of my grip and sure enough, my thumb was resting against the Slide Lock.
Thanks I’ll watch this next time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I concur. Thought there was an issue yesterday on my first trip out but then noticed my thumb was resting on the stop.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's a small gun, make sure your hand/finger isn't interfering with the slide stop.
I also am onboard with this. I had that mystifying problem with my 9mm compact until I figured out that my support thumb was sitting on the slide lock. Doesn't take much to hold it down after the last round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks t
Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this issue. It was my thumb hitting the slide lock. I shot 50 Ed’s today with both magazines and had zero issues. Funny this same thing did not happen with my Hellcat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks t

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this issue. It was my thumb hitting the slide lock. I shot 50 Ed’s today with both magazines and had zero issues. Funny this same thing did not happen with my Hellcat.
I usually take a one handed grip with my thumb locked down to the index finger (Instead of thumb forward) and load one round at a time (Do not port load!). If it now functions correctly it's my grip. It's surprising how far your thumb can be from the slide lock and still activate or deactivate it under recoil with a small pistol.

My .45 Shield has never given me a problem but on my Ruger EC9S I activate the slide lock and the Sig P365 deactivate the slide lock unless I modify my grip. Yet I can shoot an LCP with no issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts