MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Administrator
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW: SMITH & WESSON DEBUTS 22+1 ROUND M&P 5.7 PISTOL

A slim hammer-fired pistol with an innovative new rotary-locked barrel system, S&W's newest M&P series handgun is a 5.7.

Launched at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas this week, it is the company's first production pistol chambered in high-velocity, flat-shooting centerfire 5.7 NATO. Keeping svelte and trim via a polymer frame and a 5-inch barrel featuring Smith's patented rotary-locked new Tempo barrel system-- a lock-breech two-part barrel with a proprietary gas system-- the M&P 5.7 uses flush-fitting magazines with a standard 22+1 round capacity.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
^^^^ I had one of the original FN 5.7’s; but back then the ammo was less than $.40 per round. Of course; the “special rounds” capable of penetrating body armor, or their other load; which fragmented into three sections after hitting the BG, cost right at $1.00 per round, delivered.

It was light, and actually carried pretty well.
I kept it for about six months; then let it go.

· Registered
52 Posts
Cool gun, but lacking in power to do a lot with. My sister has a Ruger 5.7, ammo is very expensive for what it is. The video where he shoots the tree and it doesn't have enough power to move the plates says it all.

· Administrator
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool gun, but lacking in power to do a lot with. My sister has a Ruger 5.7, ammo is very expensive for what it is. The video where he shoots the tree and it doesn't have enough power to move the plates says it all.

I used to be the admin of the FN Forum for a few yearsm starting back around 2006. And, I've owned a Five Seven and three PS90s over the years. So, I am very familiar with the round...

I do prefer the carbine. The barrel is longer, and you get some decent velocity thru the rifle. The round is about equal to 9mm, when shot out of a 16 inch barrel.

I miss my last PS90. I sold it because I have neck problems, and it is harder for me to shoot a rifle. I only have two CX4s now, but I haven't shot them in over a year because I don't wanna mess with my neck.

Anyway, I do agree that when shot from a pistol, it is a bit anemic. But it is easier to put more rounds on target with less recoil, in a shorter period of time. .

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I owned an FN 5.7 12-13 years ago, when the ammo was much more reasonably priced.
At that time there was a vendor making some powerful loads for that round. There were three different loads available, and the ones I got would penetrate a level III ballistic vest. Out of the pistol.

Those interested in a more affordable round that’s more powerful than the standard 5.7 rounds should look into the Armscor 22 TCM.

I have one of their dual caliber Commander sized 1911s that came with both 9mm and 22 TCM barrels, plus their respective recoil springs. The magazines hold 17 9mm rounds, or 18 22 TCM rounds.

I received the gun from Armscor to do T&E, and write a review. The gun shot so accurately, and was so reliable that when it came time to return it; I bought it instead of sending it back. 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts