MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I also posted this elsewhere in my thread about the possibility of the new M&P22 2.0 Compact (that doesn't look like it's going to happen).

I don't own any Taurus guns, and don't have any strong opinions on them either way.

Taurus TX22 -

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/24/the-taurus-tx22-is-a-striker-fired-pistol-dedicated-to-rimfire

https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/taurus-tx22-love

This .22 is different in that it's striker-fired and doesn't have a fixed barrel. Full size, 16+1 capacity. Looks to be designed and manufactured in the U.S. $359 List.

Haven't seen the grip angle listed, but it looks like the "normal" 18 degrees (1911) and not the Glock's 22 degrees - which is good.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a M&P22 Compact, but may wait until these are out to see how they compare. My biggest issue with the M&P22 Compact is inconsistent accuracy and rough rifling. Not sure about the reduced size (87.5% of the standard size).

Please post any range tests or comparisons you may find.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
So?

BTDT, and wouldn’t have another one if they threw a free one into my front yard.

Reactions: mallege

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So?

BTDT, and wouldn’t have another one if they threw a free one into my front yard.
OK...thanks for that...

This gun is completely new and designed/built in the U.S. - so it may not share much with any of their past firearms.

No firearms company makes "perfect" guns. Some models are better than others.

I'm willing to consider it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Always going to be brand haters like tricky ricky !! I don't need another 22lr but it sounds like a it could be a great little 22lr if as good as the PT111G2 /G2c .

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Always going to be brand haters like tricky ricky !! I don't need another 22lr but it sounds like a it could be a great little 22lr if as good as the PT111G2 /G2c .
I swore off Taurus products because every one I ever bought had to be returned for functional issues, the quality was so-so, and their CS was worse than terrible.

I could go on, but don’t feel like typing any more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swore off Taurus products because every one I ever bought had to be returned for functional issues, the quality was so-so, and their CS was worse than terrible.

I could go on, but don’t feel like typing any more.
Understandable, but because this gun is designed and manufactured in the U.S. starting with a clean sheet of paper it may not have some of the issues that plagued other Taurus products. That wouldn't effect their Customer Service though.

They are crediting the engineer with the new trigger design (Pittman), and they aren't going with the same-old same-old designs that may have proven problematic.

So far so good, but I do want to see some side by side comparisons and accuracy tests before I decide to go with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well...they just showed-up and I decided to pull the trigger.

Ordered one from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore for $309 shipped.

In stock - https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/214886

I know there's a chance it may not be what I expect it to be, but I'm willing to take a chance.

I'll let you know what I think of it after I put a few rounds through it.

I would rather have had a M&P22 2.0 Compact - if they had decided to make one. The current model M&P22 can have some fouling and accuracy issues (it's inconsistent) and the 7/8-size doesn't fit me that well.

Now showing Out of Stock (2/6/19)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally was able to pick up my TX22 today.

All I can really tell you are my first impressions - it looks and feels good, like a full size pistol. The build quality looks to be good as well. The trigger take-up is typical striker-fired and the break is decent, but not without some creep. I didn't expect a true target gun. The trigger action is as good or better than my M&P45 2.0 Compact.

Came in a cardboard box with the manual, extra mag, suppressor adapter, and lock.

It's not super light, and feels only slightly lighter than a typical unloaded 9mm of the same type.

Mags are numbered "1" and "2".

I ordered a knurled thread protector for the suppressor adapter, which I installed after installing the adapter, for no other reason than I like the way it looks. Maybe some day I'll get a suppressor, but right now there are too many hoops to jump through.

I'm going to try to get to the range this week, but I may not be able to until next week.

Waiting is gonna kill me!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hey whatever makes you happy... its your money!
Just my opinion, i`m with Rick, i wouldn't ever own another taurus product ever again... usa made or not, no thank you.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey whatever makes you happy... its your money!
Just my opinion, i`m with Rick, i wouldn't ever own another taurus product ever again... usa made or not, no thank you.
I've said that about vehicles before...

It's new, untested, and could prove to be problematic.

I realize people have had plenty of issues with Taurus products and customer service in the past, but almost all the other similar guns can have issues as well.

Heck, of the last few guns I've purchased, 2 have had to go back to the factory to correct some issues - that includes my M&P and a Ruger - so even the Big Dogs can have issues.

So far, from the hands-on reports, there doesn't seem to be any issues. Really I'm putting my faith (and my money) in the hands of the designer (Jason Pittman) and the skills of the U.S. workers that manufacture and assemble the gun. The fact that Pittman is the Point Man for the gun tells me a lot. He knows it inside and out. Without his personal insight I would have been hesitant to buy it. Some PR guy telling me about the design and features wouldn't have sold it.

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered what company had its name on it, I would have bought it based on those factors and the overall design.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I've said that about vehicles before...

It's new, untested, and could prove to be problematic.

I realize people have had plenty of issues with Taurus products and customer service in the past, but almost all the other similar guns can have issues as well.

Heck, of the last few guns I've purchased, 2 have had to go back to the factory to correct some issues - that includes my M&P and a Ruger - so even the Big Dogs can have issues.

So far, from the hands-on reports, there doesn't seem to be any issues. Really I'm putting my faith (and my money) in the hands of the designer (Jason Pittman) and the skills of the U.S. workers that manufacture and assemble the gun. The fact that Pittman is the Point Man for the gun tells me a lot. He knows it inside and out. Without his personal insight I would have been hesitant to buy it. Some PR guy telling me about the design and features wouldn't have sold it.

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered what company had its name on it, I would have bought it based on those factors and the overall design.
Good on you jk, i hope its all you hope it will be. I cant knock yah for taking a chance on it, i do hope it works well for you.
As for Jason Pittman, i don`t personally know the guy, so if you trust what he`s doing & says, it should be all good for ya then.
Do keep an open mind though, because even the experts, make mistakes too, its not a perfect world we live in, even if you know the guy.
Taurus`s warranty department hasn`t changed from the past either, just so you know that going into it. A friend of mine is fighting a claim right now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know Jason Pittman personally, but was impressed with his presentation in the launch video plus other interviews from the SHOT Show where he discussed the design details with everyone that asked.

A member of another forum was at the SHOT Show and spoke with him, calling him "an impressive guy".

I feel I can tell when I'm being "sold to" by someone that is just "selling". I didn't get that from him.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I thought I'd finish up this thread with my range impressions of the pistol.

I finally had a chance to take my TX to the range last night and run some rounds though it. My initial impression - 8 of 10.

First thing I noticed was I was unable to get the sight adjusted low enough to get the gun on target. Granted, the max distance was only 30 feet, but with the sight bottomed I was still about 4" high.

The next thing I noticed was the rear sight - it's junk. I've seen better on an airsoft gun. I'm looking into a replacement, but Taurus apparently has their own dovetail dimensions so choices are limited especially if you want an adjustable sight.

A more positive impression was the trigger, which is very nice compared to most striker-fired guns.

The mags are fairly difficult to load, and the loading assist tabs on both sides of the mag are too small and smooth to get a grip on, but it's not terrible.

I ran a few different types of ammo through the gun, and did have a few malfunctions. Not all were the fault of the gun. I tried some older Eley Target Pistol and Federal Match ammo I had, but both had bullets that were very oxidized and didn't chamber well. The newer Federal Auto Match worked better, but I did have a couple issues where the spent case didn't make it out of the ejection port and the slide closed on it. This was after the oxidized rounds, so the chamber may have been fouled. It was also a little cold in the range, so that may have contributed. CCI Std worked fine. Of the about 150 rounds we fired, there were about 4 or 5 malfunctions but some were not attributed to the gun.

The gun feels good in your hand, but I did feel it was lighter than I would like. Not much you can do about that considering the need for a light (aluminum) slide and a polymer frame.

I shot 2-handed standing only, and I would consider the accuracy "good" to "very good" given the distance and less than optimum lighting conditions.

Overall I'm pleased with the gun, but it might not have the same feel as a Ruger Mark IV, SR22, M&P22, or Buckmark, mostly due to its lighter weight.

EDIT -

.22 Plinkster review of the TX -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=636&v=SEYPwpy779w

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a TX 22, and I use it weekly to warm up at the range before shooting my 9's. I like it, full grip, a bit too light, but fairly accurate up to 35 feet. I find it takes just about all brands of 22LR, today I shot Norma TAC 22, which is a weak round at around 1100 fps, all 100 went bang, I prefer to shoot CCI MM's but but Norma's cost $3.75 per 50 count. Velocitors, stingers and Fed Punch also work well. I had a PT-100 years ago, so I know about Taurus junk, their new President has increased QC and warranty services, all good now,

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a TX 22, and I use it weekly to warm up at the range before shooting my 9's. I like it, full grip, a bit too light, but fairly accurate up to 35 feet. I find it takes just about all brands of 22LR, today I shot Norma TAC 22, which is a weak round at around 1100 fps, all 100 went bang, I prefer to shoot CCI MM's but but Norma's cost $3.75 per 50 count. Velocitors, stingers and Fed Punch also work well. I had a PT-100 years ago, so I know about Taurus junk, their new President has increased QC and warranty services, all good now,
I've been shooting TAC22 a lot lately, but usually paying $4.25/50 w/free shipping from normashooting.com. Shot a 7/8" group at 100 yds in one of my rifles, which is better than most.

Where do you get it for $3.75?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been shooting TAC22 a lot lately, but usually paying $4.25/50 w/free shipping from normashooting.com. Shot a 7/8" group at 100 yds in one of my rifles, which is better than most.

Where do you get it for $3.75?
Check out AmmoSeek.com, prices will vary from day to day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts