MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't the US just have a federal CCW license like the drivers license. Then you could carry in any state, and everyone would have the same standard laws. I travel in my job, and I would find carrying out of my daily routine more useful than carrying in my town. I know where to go, and where not to go if I don't want trouble. But when I am in a different state you never know where you may end up, or where to avoid.

Also it would have been nice to get a set of state laws. They just gave me the permit, if it wasn't for internet research I could have got into a lot of trouble. For example do I have to notify a cop if I get pulled over that i am carrying. Some states you do some you don't. Or where can I not carry, airports and schools are common sense. But what about a resturant that serves beer? Is that considered a bar?

The more I think about the goverment, the more it seems like it is ran by 6th graders.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't think our driver's licenses are federally regulated. To the best of my knowledge, I believe it was up to all the states to basically recognize each other's driver's licenses.

The CCW permits are basically heading that way too, with the exception of certain states that just hate guns. CCW reciprocity laws are constantly updated. It'll take some time, but I don't think the federal government would actually have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Actually, in some states back in the day, you could be arrested for driving without a driver's license if you didn't have that state's license. Even if you were just passing through. That has changed since.

·
Registered
372 Posts
HR 4547 and SB 3275 were intended to do just that. It would give reciprocity to all states. The requirements, as I understood them, was that it had to be a resident permit and not an out of state permit. For example, my Michigan permit would be valid in all 50 states but my Utah permit would not be.*

MI_Jester

*hypothetical, I do not have my CPL... yet.

·
Registered
505 Posts
well if it were federal instead of state then at least i could carry...i dont think that going to be happening here in illinois anytime soon. at least not with the current administration...

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think you all have been hypnotized by the Liberal Media or something.

We already something better than a "federal license to carry".

It is called the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. And that says that we all have a Natural Born Right to Bear Arms.

Problem is, we let the "ruling class" nibble away at it a little here and a little there until they've nearly taken it completely away from us. In some places, the negation of that right is complete.

·
Registered
937 Posts
While I also wish for the ease and consistancy of a widely recognized federal license, I know the feds have done nothing but screw things up, and the 2A doesn't need anything else screwing it up. Leave it to the states. I do think the states could do a better job recognizing other states permits, though. Only recently Ohio signed reciprocity with West Virginia. Why this took so long is beyond me, but it was likely something with the open-sight clause in ohio. That has since been removed and everything seems good, though some of the other items need to be addressed. Until the people make it clear to their legislators that they want Conceal Carry to be this way and not that way, it's not going to change. If that means changing the legislators, well, that's the way it has to be done.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The current bills in legislation will NOT provide a federal license. It provides national reciprocity. This means that if you can not get a CCW license in your state, you will not be able to carry. If you do get one IN YOUR STATE you can carry in EVERY state.

This will make it just like a drivers license. If you get one in your state, you can drive in all 50 states. It is not a federal document, but a state document.

MI_Jester

·
Registered
66 Posts
MI_Jester said:
The current bills in legislation will NOT provide a federal license. It provides national reciprocity. This means that if you can not get a CCW license in your state, you will not be able to carry. If you do get one IN YOUR STATE you can carry in EVERY state.

This will make it just like a drivers license. If you get one in your state, you can drive in all 50 states. It is not a federal document, but a state document.

MI_Jester

While there are some states that still do not reciprocate, the main problem that I see, is that all that states have different rules. So why here in Georgia I can OC or CC, other states don't allow both. I wish the states would get together and form 1 set of rules that all of with permits follow.

·
Registered
564 Posts
jamesr said:
Why doesn't the US just have a federal CCW license like the drivers license. Then you could carry in any state, and everyone would have the same standard laws. I travel in my job, and I would find carrying out of my daily routine more useful than carrying in my town. I know where to go, and where not to go if I don't want trouble. But when I am in a different state you never know where you may end up, or where to avoid.

Also it would have been nice to get a set of state laws. They just gave me the permit, if it wasn't for internet research I could have got into a lot of trouble. For example do I have to notify a cop if I get pulled over that i am carrying. Some states you do some you don't. Or where can I not carry, airports and schools are common sense. But what about a resturant that serves beer? Is that considered a bar?

The more I think about the goverment, the more it seems like it is ran by 6th graders.

Well, at least you can get one in your state. Congratulations on that! Being in California and one of the strictest counties, there is no way I can get one here. I have a shot at it if I change my residency to one of the northern counties or move out of the state entirely. Unfortunately, financial and family concerns come into play here, like they do for most of us. I am going to get my Nevada an Utah nonresident CCW's though. I travel to Nevada quite a bit.

I agree with the adoption of a national CCW. That would be sweet, but it has already been met with strong opposition.

·
Registered
372 Posts
MC said:
While there are some states that still do not reciprocate, the main problem that I see, is that all that states have different rules. So why here in Georgia I can OC or CC, other states don't allow both. I wish the states would get together and form 1 set of rules that all of with permits follow.

But the rules for getting drivers licenses are different from state to state, as are some of the general motor vehicle laws. For example, some states require you to move over a lane if you have a police officer on the side of the road, some require seatbelts, some require helmets on motorcycles, some have a standard speed limit of 75, 65, or 55 on freeways...

Each state can make their own laws. As a big supporter of state rights, I agree with that. If I am traveling to a different state and I will bring my firearm, I check the local laws. I will probably print out a small card with the summary on it so that I can reference it when in doubt.

MI_Jester

1 - 13 of 13 Posts