MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m getting ready to purchase my first M&P. I’m trying to decide between the 9mm m2.0 or the 2.0 core pro series. I’ve heard the pro series isn’t all that but then I’ve heard they are great. I have to admit that FDE looks awesome. Any advise or opinions you guys could offer is very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you want a C.O.R.E. in 5” “Performance Center” “Pro Series” is the only way it comes. (other than ported, but I wouldn’t want ported)

I have a C.O.R.E. in 5” “Performance Center” “Pro Series” (not M2.0) and was really disappointed. The trigger was terrible. It went back to the factory twice and they wouldn’t do anything, so I bought a Apex trigger. I wouldn’t want to pay extra for a Performance Center M&P again. I’d rather see the CORE in a standard model, since I will have the added cost of a new trigger. But right now I don’t think that’s an option.

The CORE is the way to go if you are going to run an optic. Otherwise when you want to use an optic; the cut is expensive.

If this is a carry gun, I wouldn’t buy a CORE or a Performance Center. I would recommend the M&P 9 Compact 4”. It comes in FDE, if that’s what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a C.O.R.E. in 5” “Performance Center” “Pro Series” is the only way it comes. (other than ported, but I wouldn’t want ported)

I have a C.O.R.E. in 5” “Performance Center” “Pro Series” (not M2.0) and was really disappointed. The trigger was terrible. It went back to the factory twice and they wouldn’t do anything, so I bought a Apex trigger. I wouldn’t want to pay extra for a Performance Center M&P again. I’d rather see the CORE in a standard model, since I will have the added cost of a new trigger. But right now I don’t think that’s an option.

The CORE is the way to go if you are going to run an optic. Otherwise when you want to use an optic; the cut is expensive.

If this is a carry gun, I wouldn’t buy a CORE or a Performance Center. I would recommend the M&P 9 Compact 4”. It comes in FDE, if that’s what you want.
thanks for your help. Much appreciate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome from NC 👋

FWIW, I am enjoying my Shield 9mm and have friends with both the compact and full size Performance Center models. All of them I've tried fit my hand really well and are pleasant to shoot.

Good luck on the search for your first M&P!

·
Registered
22 Posts
As stated, S&W pistols are great- if you put a Apex trigger in them, so figure on at least $150+ more on a new gun. Some models are better than others (V2), but from what I'm seeing the basic models are the ones to get. Don't let the lifetime warranty fool you, I had the same experience as others. They don't do anything to your gun when it goes back. I installed a M*Carbo spring kit in my 45 M&P version 1, and it did wonders, after polishing everything they have on the video. Relatively cheap, $30 or so, takes about a hour, better results. I also bought a CZ P10F optics ready, which had a much better trigger to begin with, and put a HB Industries trigger in it, now it's totally amazing, for $65. This model of CZ is American made. I can tell you after having both pistols apart, the CZ is made better, easier to take apart, AND reassemble. I wouldn't buy any "Performance Center" models either, waste of money.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a few M&Ps. I love the way they feel/fit my hand. Never been impressed with the groups. But, awhile back I bought my wife a PC Shield in 9MM and it will outshoot all three of my full sized M&Ps in 9MM or .40. I did buy a full sized .45 2.0 4" barrel awhile back and it shoots better groups than the 9s and .40, too.

CZ's? I love'em. Have several. Some are real tack drivers.

The biggest improvement in groups for my 2.0 5" FDE 9MM was an Apex barrel. The Apex trigger kit makes for an absolutely awesome trigger feel/pull but didn't help with the groups. The Apex barrel made a bigger improvement for me.

If you get a 9MM, try the Winchester 9MM 124 grain FMJ NATO ammo. So far that's the best shooting ammo I've found for mine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Get the CORE if you ever want to use a red dot. It the best mounting system and very versatile. Even if you don't expect to fit a red dot right away, get the CORE for the potential future versatility.

The standard OEM trigger is not very good and the PC versions are better but not first rate. Plan on an Apex sear and striker block as that's less than $100 and a vast improvement. The Apex replacement triggers are nice but not nearly the improvement that the sear and striker block are and cost more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a few M&P's in 1.0. And, a 2.0 Compact .40.
I just recently bought a LE trade in Gen 3 G21. It's the Gen 3 that was Tenifer treated before the black oxide coating was added. This is the finish everyone wants on their Glock. I really like my M&P's but lately I have been shooting my G21 more.
With the great Armornite finish S&W applies to their firearms maybe they should try to interest Glock in their Armornite finish. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was a Glock shooter, never did like their triggers, so I installed a Pyramid kit in a G19 Gen 4. That improved the trigger from 'broken' to 'dead'. After shooting a stock M&P9 2.0, I have sold the Glocks and bought three 2.0s. The stock 2.0 trigger is better than the aftermarket trigger on the G19. And I can shoot a 2" group now compared to 5" with the Glocks. I am a long-time 1911 shooter, and while the 2.0 trigger is not equal to the 1911 it's by far better than the stock Glock.

YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts