MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded for this 9mm CORE and am interested in mounting an RDS. This will be a fun gun for now, and I'll eventually use the slide & RDS on my duty gun.

I've read several white papers and articles on the various models and brands, but I'm looking for your experiences. Primarily I'm concerned with reliability and ease of use as it will be carried in a duty holster 40+ hours a week in all weather conditions. I'm aware Safariland makes a SLS/ALS model that protects the RDS.

Also curious about the advantages and disadvantages of the different dot sizes, as well as comparisons between fiber optic/LED/ adjustable LED models.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
For a duty gun you'll probably want to stick with the Trijicon RMR or Leupold Deltapoint Pro. EOTech makes a very compact MRDS, I haven't used it enough it to recommend one way or the other.

I have the extremely light JPoint (glass reinforced polymer, adds no mass to the slide, replaces rear standard height sight completely) on my MRDS equipped carry & competition pistols (milled, not C.O.R.E.), but have installed several Shields (JPoint's metal cousin, not the sub-compact M&P) for friends and clients. Not sure I would want a poly JPoint on a duty weapon... then again, the M&P is a poly duty pistol.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I don't have a huge experience with many different MRDS, but I have thousands of rounds put through a CORE with a Trij' RMR. Heck, I even used it to try to hammer the slide open on a jammed round. It's one tough piece of MRDS. I'd stake my life on it, which is what I hope you never need to do. It's the RM06 model. If the dot isn't big enough just turn up the intensity and it grows. But frankly, the dot has never been too small to pick up really fast in differing conditions during competition.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Vortex Venom on my PC9L-ported. Love it for the quality AND price. Lifetime warranty too.

And here is the kind of customer service you can expect from vortex:
Someone took the rubber cover from my gun case while i was at a club shooting event recently... so i called vortex, told them what had happened, 3 days later, a package showed up to my door, 5 brand new rubber covers free of charge. I offered to pay for the cover, the guy on the phone said no way, we got this...thank you very much for buying our products. How do you beat THAT for service..! They were very nice on the phone... didnt feel rushed, the guy was serious about helping me any way he could. They went way above and beyond. At the end of the day, what is customer service like for other places that sell red dots.

My wife an i like the vortex`s so much, we bought a few more of them for our .22 target pistols. All are still running flawless. Since sighted in, we haven`t had to touch any of them again. I can buy TWO vortex`s for the price of ONE trijicon, and some spare ammo to boot before its all said and done. If you only need one red dot sight, then by all means, go with trijicon if you feel the need to spend the extra money. I got nothing against trijicon, except for the price of them. Vortex`s suites me just fine for my simple needs.

This is just my own personal opinion...
By spending twice as much money for a higher priced red dot, gotta ask yourself, is it really gonna make that much better of a shooter out of you...?

Sometimes, less is more! ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am going on seven years using an RMR on my EDC gun. If you just want it for a range gun anything will do, you are not betting your life on it. If you are going to use it as a duty gun, you are betting your life on the dot and the Trijicon RMR, especially the new type 2 is the most proven and best choice. I see many saying my low cost red dot is just as good as a Trijicon, no they are not. Trijicon is the most proven military grade sight available, quality cost money. As an LEO, you are betting your life on the dot working, save up and buy the best. I expect Trijicon has a discount for LEO's and Mil's. call them and check.
Dot size. I have had both the 6.5 moa and 3.25 moa dots. The more you shoot with the sight I think you will slant toward the 3.25 size dot. The smaller dot gives you more precision and with experience it is no harder to pick up than the larger dot.

·
Site Staff
9,583 Posts
I have the Viper on my Core, its the perfect choice, excellent co witness with the iron sights which is vital on a carry gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the ADE Python, its low pro enough to co-witness with the Pro Core sights, I used a file on the little hump above the emitter, just enough to make the dot completely round as without the filing the very bottom of the front dot is cut off.
I have the new Truglo Tru Tec RDS on the way to see if that is as low profile as the python. The python is only $40 and has been as reliable as my Viper...the only issue is its not waterproof and its bottom sided battery

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just an update, the Tru-Glow Tru Tec Micro Red Dot is essentially a $144 Vortex Viper. It has all the same features and size, even the lens coating is the same as the 6MOA version but this Tru Tec has a 3MOA dot. The single complaint I have is there is no shake awake feature, but it does have a auto-off feature.

It is low profile, it gives full view of the front post through the rear sights and the glass is fairly clear with only minor tint distorting the natural colors. I have swapped out the ADE in favor of this dot but both change out the batteries the same way (bottom battery install).

Pictures:

·
Registered
343 Posts
For all the people praising the vortex lifetime warranty, do the vortex sights still need to be turned on/off or did they fix that defect?

The reason I say defect is because an edc gun shouldn't require wasted time fiddling with s switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not really recommending but some features and observations from my research on them to consider:

1. Holosun HS507c v2 has same footprint and plate to mount on a CORE M2.0 9mm as the RMR.(plate #1).
2. Sage Dynamics gave the Holosun the torture test and it passed.
3. Dual power source on the Holosun so hopefully more reliable for battery life. Could be thought of as more fragile with the solar panels, though.
4. Small 2 MOA dot and 32 MOA ring or any combo can be employed.
5. Smaller MOA generally yields better accuracy further out...and brightness can be turned up to be seen better or appear bigger than 2MOA....can’t go smaller if starting with larger MOA dot, like a 6 for example....
6.Holosun has the shake to wake and auto off feature.
7. Ver 2 has the slide out side battery tray and larger brightness adjustment buttons than Ver 1.
8. Cowitness is possible with stock suppressor height sights.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I believe your CORE is a 1.0 model, and if so, it won't fit a Leupold Deltapoint Pro as the cut isn't long enough. There are aftermarket adapter plates but that's an additional $50 or so. The new 2.0 CORE models have a longer slide cut and will fit the DPP.

Another vote for the Holosun 507C V2 or the Vortex Venom.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clarified my response above....I was giving information from my experience, and my gun is SKU 11828, 5" Perf Ctr CORE 9 M2.0. Thanks for pointing out what you did for his situation. Sorry to have possibly mislead.

SB

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe your CORE is a 1.0 model, and if so, it won't fit a Leupold Deltapoint Pro as the cut isn't long enough. There are aftermarket adapter plates but that's an additional $50 or so. The new 2.0 CORE models have a longer slide cut and will fit the DPP.
Was there a "silent update" to the CORE 1.0 optic cut to make it longer? I have a 1.0 CORE and the length of the cut would accommodate the DPP, but I still need an adapter plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just an update, the Tru-Glow Tru Tec Micro Red Dot is essentially a $144 Vortex Viper. It has all the same features and size, even the lens coating is the same as the 6MOA version but this Tru Tec has a 3MOA dot. The single complaint I have is there is no shake awake feature, but it does have a auto-off feature.

It is low profile, it gives full view of the front post through the rear sights and the glass is fairly clear with only minor tint distorting the natural colors. I have swapped out the ADE in favor of this dot but both change out the batteries the same way (bottom battery install).
I'm pretty late to this thread, but are you able to turn the adjustment locking screws on the RDS while the rear sight is in place?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts