MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Commiefornia.

I just got my brand new Shield 9mm today. I'm not familiar with the Shield line. All I know is from what ive seen on YouTube and recommendations.

I own several Glocks and XD and this is my first S&W.

I was very excited, got home and noticed a few things. Now forgive me if there was a thread on this but I didnt find it.

I want to know if any of these issues are normal. If they are, then its not am issue and I'll carry on and take it to the range this weekend.

First, I noticed when I racked the slide back just to take a quick peek (with a magazine on) I noticed the slide release was very heavy. In short it wouldn't do anything, I had to release the magazine for it to be able to use the slide release.

Second, the trigger. Without a magazine i tried to dry fire it. I racked the slide back, slowly pulled the trigger and nothing, no click just a very mushy pull all the way, the only way I was able to pull the trigger and feel the wall (5 to 6lb) weight of the trigger was when I put the magazine on then I was able to. Thats a bit weird. Am i missing something other than 50% of my brain cells?! Lack of common sense maybe? Pls help shed some light in to thism. Am I going to need to call S&W?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I am not the official welcoming committee, but I have the timing it seems. Couple of questions: Is it a Mod 1 or Mod 2? Have you read the manual? It discusses the use of the slide lock. The Shield has some different features (i.e. trigger pull, loaded chamber indicator etc) depending on where you purchased it and state requirements. There are many posts on this forum alone you can sift through as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I am not the official welcoming committee, but I have the timing it seems. Couple of questions: Is it a Mod 1 or Mod 2? Have you read the manual? It discusses the use of the slide lock. The Shield has some different features (i.e. trigger pull, loaded chamber indicator etc) depending on where you purchased it and state requirements. There are many posts on this forum alone you can sift through as well.
I was thinking that, because I live in California its probably some "Cali approved" Shield with extra safety features. I was just caught off guard by it. Not saying my Glock, Springfield or my 1 Sig is any better but out the box it was very simple. I really like this gun and I was so thrown off by it that I didn't even want to put one in the pipe and put it in my drawer anymore. I did a few searches online and came up with nothing. I'll browse around here but if anyone knows if this is normal for this version I'd be grateful. Thank you for the respond.

Well my dumbass should have read the manual. Turns out that is a version a have. Smh.. I guess I got used to the striker fires i have and assumed it was the same. My mistake. Nothing about the slide stop though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, you'll find different opinions here about the "slide lock". Some will say it is just a lock, to release, you should sling shot the slide, as the manual (at least mine) says. Some say you should be able to release the slide with your thumb. You can but... it seems to need to be worn in to do it. Some say it will eventually wear to the point it won't work reliably anymore as well. I, myself, like to do things the way the manuals describe for any of my firearms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The slide lock/release on my Shield is more difficult to release than my other semi-autos but with an empty magazine in place you are also fighting against the magazine spring. It will be much easier with either the magazine removed or chambering a round from a loaded magazine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Shield has a slide lock that is designed to be released manually. Perhaps a call to S&W will help as they will gladly explain this to you as well as other features/characteristics of this model :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, you'll find different opinions here about the "slide lock". Some will say it is just a lock, to release, you should sling shot the slide, as the manual (at least mine) says. Some say you should be able to release the slide with your thumb. You can but... it seems to need to be worn in to do it. Some say it will eventually wear to the point it won't work reliably anymore as well. I, myself, like to do things the way the manuals describe for any of my firearms.
I can't sling shot the slide if my life depended on it with a magazine on it. My fault was not doing any actual research before buying this. Being that I'm from California our choices here are very slim. The Shield (1) is the only MP on "the roster" which sucks because I really wanted the bigger brother. I love it either way even with all these "issues." It feels good on the hand and isn't bulky at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Shield has a slide lock that is designed to be released manually. Perhaps a call to S&W will help as they will gladly explain this to you as well as other features/characteristics of this model :)
Thank you, that's what I'll do I'll call them in the morning because I can't manually release the slide unless the magazine is out.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I can't sling shot the slide if my life depended on it with a magazine on it. My fault was not doing any actual research before buying this. Being that I'm from California our choices here are very slim. The Shield (1) is the only MP on "the roster" which sucks because I really wanted the bigger brother. I love it either way even with all these "issues." It feels good on the hand and isn't bulky at all.
That’s because the empty mag is holding the slide release in the up position as you are trying to slingshot it.

Pull the slide to the rear until it’s in slide lock, drop the empty mag, then you’ll be able to see how much effort is required to slingshot it. It doesn’t take that much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too live in the people's republic. I got my shield a few months ago. The problems you describe are features of our CA compliant version: The trigger will not fire with the mag removed, there is a chamber loaded indicator, you need to move a yellow lever inside the action to remove the slide, and the slide is very stiff initially, but lightens up after a few hundred rounds. It is almost impossible to release the slide from lock with just your thumb. That's how I do it with my Berretta 92, but not with my shield. You need to pull back on the slide while pressing the slide lock. All that being said...I love my shield. Here behind the left coast curtain we can't buy the p365, hellcat, etc., so the shield is the best concealable to be had. Actually, I've heard it outsells anything else in its size range nationwide... even in free America!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sold my Shield 1.0 and just purchased a 2.0 with night sights from the factory. I shot about 2500 rounds through the 1.0. I will soon be going to the range to try out the new gun. Love the grip and the sights. Dry firing the trigger does feel a little better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sold my Shield 1.0 and just purchased a 2.0 with night sights from the factory. I shot about 2500 rounds through the 1.0. I will soon be going to the range to try out the new gun. Love the grip and the sights. Dry firing the trigger does feel a little better.
Hey there !
I have 9mm Shield 1.0 . What is difference between the two triggers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there !
I have 9mm Shield 1.0 . What is difference between the two triggers?
It is slightly more crisp. But really nothing all that noticeable. I got it because it came with night sights stock from the factory and I prefer the scruffy grip on the 2.0. I also have a 2.0 compact with the 4 inch barrel. Love them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, that's what I'll do I'll call them in the morning because I can't manually release the slide unless the magazine is out.
That's the way mine is too. You can release it but, it's very hard . That is with the slide lock (release). Its very tight . Think they made it that way purposely.
I love mine .Wouldn't trade it for nothing .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts