MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to say hi, just picked up my M&P .40 fullsize today and took it to the range for my first time to fire the M&P. Very Impressed!!!! It is brand new, but is an older model i believe, SN MPA9xxx, rev M, with mag safety and internal lock. Do i need to be aware of any newer revisions, i.e. striker?

I have also thought of having a trigger job done on it, but 3.5 lbs seems a little light, just wondering if it makes a world of difference in its performance, or again should i leave it alone?

Also im am glad to find a forum with a bunch of enthusiast of the M&P, i am very excited to be the owner of one myself.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new M&P!

There's a wealth of information here so you've come to the right place.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome.

If you're going to carry, don't modify your gun.

If you're going to compete seriously (ie - to win), light trigger = fast gun, and you need to load your own rounds for less recoil.

Shoot, enjoy, and worry about the problems if they come up.

Just my advice, feel free to ignore.

·
Registered
495 Posts
bobbthompson said:
Welcome.

If you're going to carry, don't modify your gun.

Just my advice, feel free to ignore.
Why not? As one who has carried for many a year, my 1911s always had worked on triggers. My HK P2000's trigger had the HK approved modified trigger. Many carry Glocks with the trigger bar from the model 34 or 34 in them. What is the problem? I am sure if you told Dan Burwell, and for sure Mr Bowie that these are going to be serious carry or duty pieces, not range queens that they would send you a gun back with a much nicer trigger that you can bet your life on. That is just trigger work thoughts. When you get to sights and grip stripling many mods are better for carry than stock.

And, welcome to the M&P family. I just took possesion of my second one yesterday.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Modifying the way your gun works (ie - sights & grips: ok. trigger job & removing mag safety: not ok) removes all liability from the manufacturer.

If you ever have to shoot someone (pray to God you don't), you want as much shared liability as possible.

If you carry an unmodified gun, with reputable factory ammo, the only thing in question should be if the shooting was justified or not.

It also matters where you live. You will be judged by 12 random people from where you live. How do you think the average Joe from your area would feel about you carrying a modified gun? Keep in mind the prosecutor gets to pick 6; do you think he's gonna pick NRA members?

No, I don't have any case law. But I don't want to be the one who tests it.

The M&P is a great gun from the factory. Learn to shoot it the way it is.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
bobbthompson said:
Modifying the way your gun works (ie - sights & grips: ok. trigger job & removing mag safety: not ok) removes all liability from the manufacturer...

What liability does the manufacturer have?

·
Registered
495 Posts
bobbthompson said:
Modifying the way your gun works (ie - sights & grips: ok. trigger job & removing mag safety: not ok) removes all liability from the manufacturer.

If you ever have to shoot someone (pray to God you don't), you want as much shared liability as possible.

If you carry an unmodified gun, with reputable factory ammo, the only thing in question should be if the shooting was justified or not.

It also matters where you live. You will be judged by 12 random people from where you live. How do you think the average Joe from your area would feel about you carrying a modified gun? Keep in mind the prosecutor gets to pick 6; do you think he's gonna pick NRA members?

No, I don't have any case law. But I don't want to be the one who tests it.

The M&P is a great gun from the factory. Learn to shoot it the way it is.
Where did you did up that load of complete BS? Maybe you should quit reading Combat Handjobs magazine. Did I mention, what a load of B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
The manufacturer designed and made the gun. They are liable for any design flaws or malfunctions due to defects.

Imagine you buy a new car, and the engine blows up. Who's responsible?

Now imagine you buy a new car and you put NOS in it. If the engine blows up now, who's responsible?

If you want to know what the hell this has to do with guns go to my CCW thread:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?...&highlight=

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have already been to that thread which is a load of BS also. If YOU!!!!! modify your gun YOU are responsible for the results. MANY, modifications are viable in a defense weapon. Even the GURU you seem to be misquoting agrees that they can be defensed in a court of law. If you are involved in a shooting, the manufacturer is not going to be there in your defense team whether you modify it or not. They most likely will be in a fight of their own with the same family of the POS you shot. Please quit quoting Combat Handjobs magazine articles like they are gospel. Even in some of the same issues were Massad Ayoob is saming one thing, another "expert" like Walt Raunch is saying something 180 degrees different. Point is we shouldn't welcome a new shooter and then start filling their heads with BS!

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you JUST got the gun I would say to shoot it a lot. Posts say the M&P trigger lightens up a little bit and smoothens out with shooting.

Dry firing is ok too and should help out with the trigger but forum members say dry firing doesn't work as fast as real shooting. I dry fire to practice holding and shooting since it's free.

I have a B serial number with M revision frame and haven't had a problem. I'm not too worried about it either. It's a great gun and if something breaks with it S&W seem to give excellent customer service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts