MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post here, but I have been lurking and hopefully learning. Today is a great day to register here and introduce myself because I purchased a new M&P full size 9MM today. It’s a self / home defense gun, bought from grabagun.com for $470 and change. My FFL charges $10, so my total cost is $480. They shipped it today so, so far I am pleased with them. I’m a civilian but was Army Reserve uh ... well ... 23 years ago. I have been shooting a few times this year and was totally sold on a Glock 19, until I had it and an M&P 9 at a range this summer. The M&P just fits my hand better and had less muzzle flip. The Glock just “felt weird” to me. Enough about that, the next step for me is to pursue self / home defense training and possibly CCL. I may get another one for my wife. I am so proud of her, I took her shooting at the local range and rented the M&P9. After giving her a rundown on how to hold and fire, I gave her a mag with a single round in it. She shot it and kinda sorta yelped “there’s fire coming out of it!” and was a tad freaked out. Well I reassured her it was ok. I then shot a few mags full and she gently asked me if she could shoot more. She ended up shooting 50-75 rounds and now she wants to go back to the range (heh heh … mission accomplished). I am considering getting a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 "paddle" holster, but will now head to the accessories forum for advice. Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
26 Posts
:cheers:Hello from Minnesota

After being out of the military for many years, I decided to take up shooting. Pretty much followed the same path as you. Tried the Glock, didn't like the feel and then tried the M&P. Much better in my hand. The only thing I did different was to purchase the M&P22 first. Nearly identical to the 9mm (looks, size etc ) but considerably cheaper to shoot and hardly any recoil. After a few months of getting the basics back, I'll get myself a 9. :yes

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin! I can't recommend a Serpa holster. The Milwaukee PD has put them on the do not use list for both duty & off duty carry due to possible safety considerations. I almost got one until my LEO son told me that & dissuaded me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congratulations on your new M&P, I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment from it. I have owned S&W's for more years than I like to admit.

I was going to get an IWB holster for my shield but the owner of the holster shop talked me out of it and I am really glad now. I got a customer leather OWB and it is really easy to conceal. A light vest or plaid shirt is all it takes. I got it from Wright Leather Works and they are a class act. The only down side is the 12-14 week wait. However, their work is first class quality and well worth the wait. I would also recommend getting a quality gun belt.

Classic Collection Leather Holsters | Wright Leather Works LLC

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I have the Serpa and don't have a problem with it. You can disable the push button release and then it becomes a level 1 holster. I like having the push button. The safety problems have resulted from people pushing the button and allowing their trigger finger to continue on to the trigger and pulling it. Folks have shot themselves in the leg while doing this. Safariland and Comptac also make great OWB holsters if you are worried about safety with the Serpa. In my mind, if you train with it and keep your trigger finger straight until you are ready to fire, it is perfectly safe.

·
Site Staff
9,623 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Howdy from Ohio...good to have you in the house!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for you advice and welcomes, greatly appreciated. My FFL dealer has the gun but the snowstorm has me stuck at home. My driveway collects all snow from a 100 mile radius! Bummer not being able to go get it. Must .. wait .. until .. tomorrow :-\

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts