MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a new gun owner, and I'm looking to purchase a few addons for my 9mm M&P.

Firstly, I want a flashlight, and second, a laser. I want to be able to use my gun (if needed) effectively and accurately at night and in any situation which requires it.

I've been looking at the Crimson Trace laser which has been reviewed here pretty well, and I like it a lot.

I've also been looking at several tactical flashlight options from Streamlight, Insight Technology, etc which have also recieved some positive comments.

My question is, should I go with a combo light/laser (such as the Insight X2 /w laser or the Streamlight TLR-2 with laser), or should I get the Crimson Trace, and then just a normal rail-mounted flash light?

My concerns are as follows:

If I go with the seperate light and laser, is it going to even work? I dont want my gun to suddenly be too bulky, too heavy, or for the laser sight to somehow get blocked by the light addon in front of it. I am also concerned about having too many 'switches' on the gun to turn stuff on and offf. I want fairly simple operation (I guess 2 things isnt THAT much).

On the other hand, if I get a combo unit, (a) is the laser on the combo unit going to be as good as the Crimson Trace? I dont want some cheapo thing. and (b) is the battery going to get drained quicker?

Thoughts and comments are much appreciated. I want to make a decision before I go back out to the range for more practice in a week or two.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you choose the Crimson Trace option, it won't interfere with holster selection, or carrying concealed. Then for those few occasions where you feel you still need a light, pick up a TLR-1.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Police and civilians use these things in different ways. I'm a civilian and I'll leave most of the room clearing to professionals. I'm going with Crimson Trace and Trijicon sights. I already have them on two of my 1911s. I like the ability to turn the CT on and off by just adjusting how tightly you squeeze the grip. This is very important to me. I want to be able to not give away my position until a split second before pulling the trigger. It's there to confirm to me exactly where the bullet will impact in any number of situations. It's also there to make an emergency snap shot reasonably accurate. Finally, and this is heresy to some but I've gone 51 years without taking a life, it's there to give a burglar a last split second to think about holding really still while he contemplates the red dot on his chest.

I purchased a TLR-1 but I haven't thought through how I'm going to employ it yet. I'm quite comfortable using a flashlight with a pistol. And if I had family I'd want to be able to confirm their identity without pointing a weapon at them. But I guess I'm thinking noise investigation is pretty much all I'll have it for. I don't see having it on any of my pistols full time, and besides I have a light on my shotgun. :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Crimson Trace laser on my M&P 9mm and love it. The only switch you have on the laser grip is the overide on off switch. When "on" you just grip the gun like normal and the laser activates, put down the gun and the laser is off. Simple enough. I ordered the TLR-1 light for mine and it should be here next week. I did not want to have to have the light mounted in order to use the laser so I bought them separately. Shop around fo the TLR-1 if you decide on that light as they are going for a pretty good price. I got mine for $89.00 shipped. 8)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have the M6 lazer/light that my fourty wears at night by the bed, the switch is very easy to use and lays just over the front of the trigger well so when you pick it up like you should with your finger out of trigger well ,its on the switch. I dont use it when I carry because of bulk, but at the house its great. The light turns night into day and you can see the lazer forever. For night time carry I'd say the CT is the way to go

·
Registered
692 Posts
First, if cost is an issue, go with the StreamLight TLR2. Quality, light weight and most of the custom holster guys support it. It is easily set to light, laser or both.

If cost isn't an issue, go with the Crimson Trace laser and a TLR1 or something comparable. No new holster needed for the laser.

$0.02

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Definitely go with the Crimson Trace for your laser. Reasons:
  • It's always on the gun, whether you've got your light on the gun, in your pocket, on your belt, or back at home.
  • You don't have to do anything to turn the laser on, just hold the gun in your normal grip. This way the laser is always there when you need it. With the combos, you either set it just for the laser, just for the light, or for both ... and then you leave it that way until you draw the gun.
  • It will hold its zero better than a combo unit's laser, especially if you have the light on and off the gun repeatedly.

• As for a light, there are a lot of great ones on the market. I tend to use the X200 because of the switching method (push for intermittent, slide for permanent on/off) and because the widest variety of holsters is designed for it. But I think the TL1 and the SSL1 are also great lights. I'm waiting for Insight to adapt the strobe technology from the Typhoon to an updated version of the SSL1, at which point I'll probably jump ship from the Surefire to the Insight light.

Another important point is that even if you keep a light on your gun, you still need to carry a handheld flashlight. There will be times when you want a light in your hand but not a gun, and there will be times when you need to point a light at something that you cannot (or should not) point a gun at.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the awesome advice!!

It confirmed my own research that the crimson trace is definately the way to go, so I have the laser available to me at all times.

I will look at the TLR-1 for my light option. I think thats what I had been looking at all along.

This forum is superb, so glad I found it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts