MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have recently been bitten by the M&P bug. I am getting ready to apply for my CCW, and have been looking for a pistol. I went to my local gunshop this week to look around, mostly looking for a CZ P-01, or a Glock 19. The saleman I was talking to said I should check out the M&P. While I cut my teeth on a S&W Model 10 M&P years ago, I never have really warmed up to S&W autos.

I put it in my hand, and talk about fitting great. It easily ranked just below a Hi-Power as the best gun that has been in my hands. I really wanted to get it that day, but my bank account was lacking, and I have to wait on my Pistol Purchase Permit, and to even apply for one since I just moved to this county. (Dumb NC Law).

Now on to my question, they had a .40 S&W, but the salesman said he could get me a 9mm since he knows I love 9mm. However, I have heard that there have been some problems with the 9mm version, and I have seriously been contemplating moving up a notch since this will be a CCW pistol. Add on to the fact, most people are saying the M&P is a very soft shooting .40 S&W, and .40 S&W is not very much more expensive than 9mm is making me rethink my caliber.

Are the 9mm M&P having more problems than there .40 S&W counterparts? Should I even consider moving up to a more potent cailber? I know pistol cailbers are weak, but larger, heavier bullets always make for better ballistics.

Any ideas on which way I should swing?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
The 40 is soft. I had an XD 40 service, and considered it harsh. My dads HK usp is next down. I love shooting my M&P. I used to put about 1k rounds through my XD in a sitting, and was sore. I can double that and keep going with the M&P.

I have heard of problems with 9's, but who is to say that their isn't 40's with problems also.

The M&P was built around the 40, not around the 9 and modified for the 40.

Couple things, 9 +P is getting into the range of a 40.

9mm you get more rounds, cheaper.

I shoot 40 cause I don't care for the 9mm round, but that is a personal opinion. The 40 is a good tweener, 9mm/45.

I have just bought a second 40, one for IDPA/USPSA and one for CCW, Take it how you want.

·
Registered
332 Posts
556A2 said:
Should I even consider moving up to a more potent cailber? I know pistol cailbers are weak, but larger, heavier bullets always make for better ballistics.

Any ideas on which way I should swing?
The only possible problem you could have would be if you can’t control the .40.

Go rent one and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts