MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry everywhere legal to carry, esp if my 2 lil girls are around to look after. They had their pumpkin party at day care tonight, and in that area I wouldn't want to be without my weapon after dark. Boy it was a pain keeping everyone away from me in there. I didn't want to keep it in the car as we I had to walk 3 blocks to park the car after I dropped the girls off.

No accidents/incidents, but It takes alot of energy out of you being in condition red for any extended period of time.

Funny too, my wife hates guns, yet tonight she asked if I was carring before we left, and gave a sigh of relief after I said yes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It does get tiresome in a crowded place. My wife is the same way. We wont park in a large parking garage unless i am armed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, I feel like a friggin' bodyguard when in public with the wife and two young girls. The upside is (I guess) I can get a lot more serious a lot more fast when the girls are around. Lord help the goblin who gets sideways with them.

I find carrying IWB alleviates, as much as possible, anxiety over getting made. While I like it to be my secret, I am not too concerned about what others think. If they have a problem with me carrying to protect me and mine, they are not my friend.

This may sound a little "off", but I would love to see us like-minded people establish open-carry restaurants, churches, parks, neighborhoods, whatever. Carrying should not be a big deal. Law-abiding citizens should not have to worry about being made. They should save that energy "processing" their invironment for threats.

Rant mode off. :wink:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I should move to a city that allows open carry. Like somewhere in Texas, Arizona or New Mexico. :wink:

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pa is an open carry state and I still feel weird about doing it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maine is open carry as well, but it doesn't seem like a good idea all and all. If a bad guy packing heat spots you when his is about to commit a crime, he is likely to take you out first. Concealment adds the element of surprise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
VA is an open carry state as well. I don't consider it a good idea though. It kinda defeats the purpose of avoiding confrontation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Roger that on losing the element of surprise w/ open carry. I agree. However, the idea that someone is going to attack a group of folks who are visibly armed seems unlikley. When was the last time anyone attacked a police station? Actually my comments are directed more at mindset. WE are not in the wrong when we carry - concealed or otherwise. In fact, that some people are armed makes everyone safer. Being armed is not something to be ashamed of even though thereare those who believe this is so.

I am not suggesting that we, the armed community, should go hog-wild with our attitude or actions. What I am suggesting is that we don't need to apologize for being responsible, armed citizens.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bloodnut said:
I am not suggesting that we, the armed community, should go hog-wild with our attitude or actions. What I am suggesting is that we don't need to apologize for being responsible, armed citizens.

Agree 100%

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nevada is open carry and I have a bet with a friend that I could walk through downtown (reno) with an AR15 loaded and NOT get pulled over. He looks like a typical BG and gets lots of stares from cops (he has a ccw) and I look more casual and would have no problem surrendering my gun to police if they feel threatened or question me walking around with a semi or fully automatic weapon. I say open carry.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bloodnut said:
Roger that on losing the element of surprise w/ open carry. I agree. However, the idea that someone is going to attack a group of folks who are visibly armed seems unlikley. When was the last time anyone attacked a police station?

There was a shooting at a police station earlier in the year where the shooter ambushed several officers as they exited the building. Also, there was a shooting a year or two ago in Tyler TX where the shooter initially engaged his wife and kid in front of a court house (where there were numerous LEOs).

The mere display of a weapon isnt going to always prevent an attack. I feel that unless you are in a uniform and have to carry openly; you should be carrying concealed. It gives you a better edge in a confrontation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Granted there exceptions that prove the rule. I suppose any time someone engages the military in a battle, the idea of the presence of weapons preventing an attack is disproven. However, we all are aware that generally speaking, criminals would prefer to take on unarmed victims.

The bigger point I was making, I suppose, was that I tire of worrying about others who might wig out at the sight of a pistol in public. Sometimes it would be nice not to have to be so concerned with that. And yes, concealed carry does provide the element of surprise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I belive at the Tyler shooting incident referred to above a person who was carrying concealed engaged the shooter and was killed by return fire. He was credited for distracting the shooter so a LEO could take him down. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A CCW holder did engage the suspect in the Tyler shooting. The CCW holder ws initially wounded, then killed by the suspect. The officers, will they did engage the suspect on scene, werent able to kill him until later after a vehicle pursuit had occured.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was that the incident where the cop with the AR rode on the hood of the car and took out the BG w/ a head shot while the BG was in the door of a vehicle? That was one bad mother that made that shot! He was definitely switched on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't feel too bad about the way people react to a firearm in public guys. I carry my pistol EVERYWHERE off duty and I try to ease tensions for the occasional glimpses of my pistol by clipping my very recognizable badge (I work for a large city department with a unique badge design) right next to my holstered pistol.

Anyway... I was in a local clothing store with the wife and wanted to try on a new sport coat... something I would be wearing for work... so I slipped my coat off and tried on the new one. A clerk saw me take off my coat and noticed my M&P. She called security and told them what she saw. Security put a camera on us and observed my weapon. I was shopping in the township so I thought nothing of the two TWP cops walking through the store until they approached me. One told me to keep my hands where he could see them while the other covered me with his hand on his weapon. I of course didn't move an inch. I asked what the problem was and the contact officer asked if I had a firearm on me. He asked if I had a permit and I replied, "Yes Sir... I'm a cop." A few minutes later we were chatting and laughing over the incident. The manager was called over and it was explained that I was a police officer. He told the two (uniformed police officers with full duty belts on) that he was uncomfortable with the fact that I was carrying a firearm concealed in the store. He explained that security had told him I was obviously a policeman (they saw and recognized the badge) but that he felt the police should still arrest me. He stated that he read the NEW Ohio concealed permit information his store had received from the home office... and that the law clearly stated firearms must be hidden. In his mind I had broken the law by taking off his jacket. To this day I don't thing he understands why a police officer doesn't HAVE to conceal their firearm.

Anyway... I am all for CCW and encourage good citizens to get permits. I would love to see more places openly state "Concealed Carry Welcome!!".

·
Registered
5 Posts
boot said:
He stated that he read the NEW Ohio concealed permit information his store had received from the home office... and that the law clearly stated firearms must be hidden.

That's the most troubling part, because as far as i'm aware the law does NOT have that requirement. In Ohio, we even have to make it plain-sight in a vehicle so keeping it hidden in public isn't possible at all times.

And if my recollection of the law is correct, his home office is sending out false info and who knows how many shoppers will have a similar experience...

thorn

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's the most troubling part, because as far as i'm aware the law does NOT have that requirement. In Ohio, we even have to make it plain-sight in a vehicle so keeping it hidden in public isn't possible at all times.

And if my recollection of the law is correct, his home office is sending out false info and who knows how many shoppers will have a similar experience...

thorn

Well... keep in mind that the law covers "Concealed Firearms". If you are carrying a firearm on your person concealed you must have a CCW Permit. If you chose to carry openly... you are not covered by your CCW Permit. Open carry is usually covered by local city ordinances or by an "inciting panic" or "disorderly conduct" law. In my area if you walked into a store with a firearm on your side in plain view... you can count on a visit from the police and a guaranteed DC charge.

My issue is different. Cops can carry openly or concealed. I do not have a CCW permit... I just have a right to carry firearms.

As for the "plain view in a vehicle". That is a stupid part of the law put in place to please the Ohio State Patrol. The current version of the law reads that a CCW permit holder must

1) Have their firearm in a holster in plain view

2) Inform officers of the CCW permit and if they are carrying a weapon at the time of police contact

In short if you have an Ohio CCW permit you must:

Carry the firearm concealed

Carry the firearm in a holster

Follow all private property owner wishes (No CCW signs are lawful)

Inform officers of your permit and weapon upon any and all police contact

·
Registered
126 Posts
In Kalifornia it's possible you could be arrested for displaying your weapon if someone sees your weapon, even if you have a CCW permit. They teach in all the CCW clases that Concealed means hidden from view.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts