Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200704...tgunsgetsmarter

Shot Stopper: Smart Guns Get Smarter

Robin Lloyd

LiveScience Senior Editor

LiveScience.comFri Apr 20, 4:22 PM ET

Police in New Jersey are testing smart guns that rely on biometric sensors in the grip to prevent weapons from firing if they detect that the trigger squeezer is not authorized to shoot them.

The handguns fire only when their internal circuitry and software recognizes the grip "profile" of an authorized shooter—that is, the particular way an individual holds a gun as it is about to fire based on the shooter's hand musculature, strength, bone structure and hand-brain communication habits.

The new technology, which works on semi-automatic handguns—typical police-issue weapons as well as the handgun of choice among most homeowners, would prevent the use of a gun by a child or someone who stole the gun, however, it would do nothing to thwart the misuse of a gun by the adult and legal owner, as occurred earlier this week at Virginia Tech when a student killed 32 people and himself during a morning rampage.

"The technology would have allowed him to fire it, which is not something we wanted to see," said project director Donald Sebastian of the New Jersey Institute of Technology. "Our Dynamic Grip Recognition technology is not designed to see if you have criminal intent."

In the aftermath of the deadliest shooting in U.S. history, experts are discussing whether prevention of similar events in the future could come from stiffer gun laws, stronger oversight of troubled youths and faster notification of campus and other communities when police become aware of a violent crime.

Meanwhile, the NJIT smart gun is now 98 to 99 percent accurate at recognizing authorized shooters, up from 90 percent a couple years ago. The goal is 99.99 percent accuracy before the gun would be manufactured and sold commercially, Sebastian said.

The gun is tested weekly by a group of university police at a local firing range and put through its paces under different firing conditions such as right-hand versus left-hand shooting, shooting from a kneeled position and shooting from behind a partition at a target.

A grip on the problem

Initially, the New Jersey State Legislature authorized Sebastian in 1999 to investigate what could and could not be done to make a safer handgun.

A breakthrough came when Sebastian's colleague Michael Recce said that the biometrics of handwriting analysis on touch pads was based on pressure over time, not the shapes of the letters.

"We made the mental leap that the way we grab things, like a tennis racket or a golf club, is a reflexive thing, a trained thing, that is reproducible," he said.

The project then created a database of grip profiles based on hundreds of subjects, each one generating effectively a short movie, not a snapshot, of information about how each one holds a gun while pulling the trigger.

With gun grips, individuals generate a gripping pattern that evolves within the first tenth of a second of a trigger pull, Sebastian said, faster than human reaction speed. "What is unique for each individual is the coordinated act of how you apply leverage to pull the trigger back," he said.

Triggered response

Within that tenth of a second, the electronic circuitry in the gun also is fast enough to prevent the gun from firing if the grip profile fails to match that of an authorized user profile stored in the gun's circuitry.

For a conventional gun, any displacement of any of the chain of pre-firing events that must unfold across a collection of pins, springs and levers inside the gun will stop it from firing. In an electronic gun, the shot can be prevented by interrupting the zap of electricity that touches off the primer in the cartridge.

Other ideas for gun safety in the past 10 years have included PIN numbers and radio-frequency identification tags on guns and operators, but these can be stolen.

These might work in professional settings, Sebastian said, "but biometrics is better for the home."

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
910 Posts
It bases whether or not you're the allowed user of said weapon on how you grip the gun? If I'm in a situation where I'm about to defend my life by putting a few bullets in someone's chest/head I'm almost positive my "grip profile" is going to be different than when I'm hanging out at the range with my wife hitting paper targets.

This to me is like the newer Yamaha R6's electronically controlled 'drive-by-wire' throttles - not something I want to risk my life on.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This, from the people who shot themselves in the leg so many times drawing their P7M8's that they started putting steel plates in their holsters.

Good 'ole Jersey.

·
Registered
341 Posts
isn't the first time I've seen something like this. The last "smart" gun that I read about had something to do with a sensor in the frame and a transiever device on the shooter. Basically the transiever had to be within so many feet of the sensor & if it was behind the sensor in the gun it would fire .... if it was in front it wouldn't. So basically it would prevent someone from taking your gun & shooting you with it. The idea (for police anyway) was to put the transiever in/behind a badge and as long as the badge was behind the gun it worked great.

The problem was the time the idea came out vs the technology. The electronic components were so large they could only manage to squeeze in about 7 rounds of 9mm so the thing never really went anywhere.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sounds like it is not new official tests. Even the true believers amongst them at the last official test pretty couldn't take the results seriously.

90% accuracy under VERY controlled circumstances and the thing isn't self-contained.

this is jsut some idiot who gets a paycheck from this BS technology using the VT massacre to get himself a bigger check from the government (or possibly coporate sponsor, although i think metalstorm is the only one still on that sinking ship).

It's p4robably not even the brains of the show as i believe he left to takes his patents to the bimetric doorknob crowd as the technology is likely viable in that situation given the low stress and better access to space and power.

But hey, toot your horn mr. smart gun. It just rolls out the pro 2nd people in the area who were starting to feel comfortable.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Seems to me............. the two instances where it might prove of value is a)when someone grabs a cop's gun or b)when an intruder finds/grabs/whatever a homeowner's gun and uses it on them. In the 2nd case if an intruder is likely to use a weapon in a homeowner they're likely to bring their own gun to the gunfight in case they're unsuccessful in finding or grabbing, thereby lessoning any benefit the smart gun could offer. In the first case cops often deal with miscreants at close quarters and it's quite possible the miscreat could grab and shoot.

Therefore I'm all for new jerksey making the smartgun mandatory for cops and cops only and the sooner the better. Even if the technology isn't quite mature the benefits outweigh any negatives, it is for the children after all.

Wonder if the cops would agree...........................................................................

.... :wink:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Very interesting read, but like a few people have said.....maybe for cops only or store clerks etc. I think I can wait until it goes from 98% to 100% before making my decision. But very cool they are looking in to ways to prevent such things like accidental shootings of kids etc.

Again very cool read to say the least chooch!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
mikenkansas said:
Seems to me............. the two instances where it might prove of value is a)when someone grabs a cop's gun or b)when an intruder finds/grabs/whatever a homeowner's gun and uses it on them. In the 2nd case if an intruder is likely to use a weapon in a homeowner they're likely to bring their own gun to the gunfight in case they're unsuccessful in finding or grabbing, thereby lessoning any benefit the smart gun could offer. In the first case cops often deal with miscreants at close quarters and it's quite possible the miscreat could grab and shoot.

Therefore I'm all for new jerksey making the smartgun mandatory for cops and cops only and the sooner the better. Even if the technology isn't quite mature the benefits outweigh any negatives, it is for the children after all.

Wonder if the cops would agree...........................................................................

.... :wink:

The cops do NOT agree. They are specifically exempted from the law that will allow transfers of no other handguns but smart guns once they are deemed comeercially available in NJ. The legislature also put in verbiage that stated they could not be sued for any harm that a smartgun may cuase due to it's inability to function.

Ringing endorsements both.

·
Registered
257 Posts
does the device transmit through barriers? (using cover) does it run on batteries than can run out? can it break if if goes to the ground, or a officer crushs it wrestling with a suspect?

why don't we spend all the time, energy, and R&D money on training cops to be better shooters and better trained on weapons retention....giving them guns that may not work all the time, doesn't seem like the right direction we should be moving in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
All I see this as is another thing to go wrong when you really need it. A fraction of a second could mean the difference between life and death. Thats all it would take for a good cop to get killed if one of these stupid things malfunction.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
jackal99 said:
All I see this as is another thing to go wrong when you really need it. A fraction of a second could mean the difference between life and death. Thats all it would take for a good cop to get killed if one of these stupid things malfunction.

Yeah, you are worrying about the wrong thing. This isn't about cops. This is about using smart guns to enact gun control. Sorry Mr. citizen, you are only allowed to buy, sell, and use smart guns.

Unless something has changed radicly, the gun is still tehtered to a computer, but the law for the above is already on the books here in NJ. The gun can't get throguh a 10 round magazine without failing to identify the user erroniously. However, it doesn not rely on transmitting anything if you read the article.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Wonder if it works with gloves on?

I actually talked to the guy at Los Alamos who was heading up their smart(?) gun work some years back. Very nice guy, not a shooter or someone with a background in self defense, who was honestly trying to see if there was a solution to the problem opf unauthorized use. He did state that the most often heard Law Enforcement response to his inquires was to the effect of "Keep your cotton picking hands off my gun."

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It is supposed to work with gloves on. It's one of the criteria. But I have no idea how vigorously they have tested it.

There have only been two public tests that I know of, and the system was sorely lacking.

Like I said, a lot of it is about spin.

90% effective sounds great.

It can't get through a single magazine without locking up erroniously sounds awful.

It's the same thing if your magazines hold 10 rounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a former military electronics tech I'd be interested in how susceptable to an EMP blast are the electronics . Like , will a microwave operating nearby interfere with the weapon ? Or if the weapon is hit with an Electromagnetic pulse will it still function or will it be disabled ? (If it can be disabled by such a pulse I will NOT buy it! Talk about a way to disarm the populace .

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mortech said:
As a former military electronics tech I'd be interested in how susceptable to an EMP blast are the electronics . Like , will a microwave operating nearby interfere with the weapon ? Or if the weapon is hit with an Electromagnetic pulse will it still function or will it be disabled ? (If it can be disabled by such a pulse I will NOT buy it! Talk about a way to disarm the populace .

Like I said, unless something changed drasticly, it's tethered to a computer still. Absolutely nothing in the design to date would protect it from a HERF gun as far as i can tell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts