MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody show me a picture of what the "warning" looks like that is on the gun when you buy the model with no mag disconnect safety?

Also, I have read the post here about removing it and it seems pretty simple. But can I get the standard factory parts to do this instead of using a coil spring to hold the sear in place? On the guns that come from the factory with no mag safety, what do the internals look like? I would think you could just replace the mag safety internals with those and have a gun that looks and operates like it should before the lawyers got involved.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh Jeez..... Thanks for the pics. I was going to buy one without the mag safety but I think I'll pass on that. Guess I'll buy the lawyered up version and convert it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it bothers me. Why not put text on the slide that says.

- Warning, pulling the trigger makes the gun fire -

Really, no kidding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Removing the mag safety is very east to do. I wish I would have bought one with it and then removed it...

The only different part is the spring that puts tension on the sear disconnect lever. I'm not sure if Smith would sell you just the spring or if you'd have to buy the whole sear block assembly. Being that that spring has very little to no affect on functioning or reliability, I would no hesitate for an instant to put a different spring in there (i.e. hardware store spring or spring from another gun, etc). I understand and agree that factory parts are usually the best and nicest to have, but this is one of the parts on the gun that is an IDEAL candidate for the 'anything that fits' mentality.

-Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So on a factory gun, there is a spring in there that looks like this? D?

I wonder if S&W will sell the factory spring? Probably not since people are using ink pen springs or 1911 mag catch springs cut down. Whatever works I guess.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You know, I really don't consider the M&P a looker. Its not a bad looking gun, but to me it is a tool and I could care less what they scribble on the slide. My brain ignores it just fine and most of my guns get enough use and wear that after they get a few scratches and dings their warning doesn't particularly detract from its looks.

Put that warning on the side of a nice 1911 or a nice revolver and I might take issues with it. One a M&P I couldn't care less.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 1911 and any revolver are the same tools as an M&P or a Ruger (that tells you to read the manual or you might die on the side of it) It's stupid to scroll that crap on a pistol.

IQ above a pencil eraser - Guns are dangerous, if you shoot somebody they might die.

IQ below a pencil eraser - Can't read the warning and shouldn't have a gun anyway.

The writing doesn't need to be on the gun.

I've got two safes full of "tools". Only the two Ruger revolvers have such nonsense on them, but hell, it's a Ruger, I don't expect much.

My shovel isn't engraved "avoid hitting someone in the back of the head with this shovel as it could cause injury or death" Duh!!!!

Heck, even the snow blower I have had a tag on it(removable) that said "don't use on a roof, serious injury could result" or something to that effect. But it wasn't etched into the machine.

I'm not trying to be contrary, it's just a pet peeve I guess. I'll avoid such nonsense however I can.

·
Registered
83 Posts
gaspipes said:
So on a factory gun, there is a spring in there that looks like this? D?

I wonder if S&W will sell the factory spring? Probably not since people are using ink pen springs or 1911 mag catch springs cut down. Whatever works I guess.

Yup, that's exactly it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
For roughly $25 you can get a sear block without the magazine disconnect and drop it in. Not as cheap as the substitution, but there are advantages to having the piece with all factory parts and no home performed alterations.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I honestly forget it's there until I see one of these threads that reminds me about it. I doubt you'd even notice it after 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Ditto. Mine has the warning and I've had the mag disconnect safety installed! Double damned!

I'm sure Smith does that because people who aren't more familiar with the M&P might think that it, like most S&W semiautos produced for the commercial market, cannot be fired with the mag out of the gun. Beretta took the same approach to producing the "G" (decock-only, no safety) versions of their guns for the commercial market. While certain exceptions were made for competition guns like the Elite series, as a rule they did not want to sell the G's commercially based out of a liability fear ... that someone would mistakenly believe a Beretta was "on safe" when it wasn't, shoot something (or someone), and sue the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I removed the mag safety today on mine and it took me only 20 mins. to do.

Replace the factory spring with a 1911 mag release spring which you cut down to fit.

I like my pistol b/c it does not have the ugly roll mark on the ejector side of the gun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted to say that I found another thread asking for pictures of the warning. I read through that thread and ToddG made some good points about the mag safety being in the gun. After reading that thread I will most likely just leave the gun as it is.

I removed the mag safety in a Ruger MkIII because with the safety in, the mags would not drop free from the mag well. I guess that is not a problem on the M&P because after reading though several pages on here I haven't seen that complaint.

I should have my M&P 40 in a couple days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts