MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been carrying Mexican style. Here the temp in Ohio has been 80+. No signs of rust from perspiration at all. A testament to the good finish and melonite treatment. Although some peoples sweat is more corrosive than others.

edited for grammer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
inside the waistband with no holster. more traditionally but not required, in the front of the strong side hip. i carry that way all the time. very comfortable. i won't carry a 1911 or a striker fire pistol w/o exterial safety that way though.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You really feel comfortable carrying like that? Is there one in the chamber?

I could never bring myself to carry like that. Seems a bit irresponsible if you carry that way with a chambered round. Its your pecker to shoot off though....

·
Registered
551 Posts
choochboost said:
Nikon has not found rust on his M&P but for the record the melonite finish will not absolutely prevent a M&P from rusting.
The slide is stainless steel with the melonite coating over it. That combination should be pretty rust resistant.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Smith Shooter said:
[quote name='choochboost']Nikon has not found rust on his M&P but for the record the melonite finish will not absolutely prevent a M&P from rusting.
The slide is stainless steel with the melonite coating over it. That combination should be pretty rust resistant.[/quote]

Stainless steel can rust and so will Melonite M&Ps and/or Tennifer Glocks. In spite of their reputation, it happens. All I'm saying is that it's possible and that we should maintain and care for our pistols as much as we would any other gun with another finish.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I take daily long walks up and down pretty steep hills with my M&P 40C, IWB. It gets pretty sweaty. I try to field strip it and clean it once a week whether I fire it or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My MP40 has rusted from one days carry in my old Sparks Exec. I just got a new horsehide one, it should be better at blocking the moisture. After the Texas State match I may send the slide off for Ion Bond coating.

Stainless will rust, no doubt about it.

Gringop

·
Registered
524 Posts
If rust is an issue get yourself some Eezox. That stuff is the HEAT when it comes to rust preventive and general CLP (cleans better then Breakfree IMHO).

Check out this heads up comparison of unprotected carbon steel and some other CLP/Rust preventatives:

Photo is after only 15 hours of salt spray exposure. Top Row: Left to right. Control, Break-Free, Strike-Hold | Bottom Row: Left to right. Rem-Oil, Slip2000, Mobil-1 15W50

43 hour exposure:

11 week exposure:

Link to the article and testing procedures, as well as indepth description of findings:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

My only warning is the Eezox stuff is pretty unhealthy. I know everyone shrugs off advice to use chemicals in a well ventilated area, myself included, but one whiff of this stuff and you'll move outside...if your smart. I'd also encourage you to wear gloves and keep it away from your kids and wife if shes pregnant.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Smith Shooter said:
The slide is stainless steel with the melonite coating over it. That combination should be pretty rust resistant.

Yes, although rapid rusting is a well-known feature of Novak sights. If you have a sturdier aftermarket rear sight, this may not be a problem.

Cheers,

DR

·
Registered
551 Posts
ClosetCaseNerd said:
It seems the Novak bluing isn't the thickest.
If the sights are really blued, there is almost no rust resistance provided by it. Bluing IS a form of rust and does nothing to prevent regular rust from occuring. It is not in any way a reistant finish.

Keeping blued parts dry, clean and oiled is the only way yo protect them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ClosetCaseNerd said:
You really feel comfortable carrying like that? Is there one in the chamber?

I could never bring myself to carry like that. Seems a bit irresponsible if you carry that way with a chambered round. Its your pecker to shoot off though....

Id never do it with a Glock. However with the MP i feel comfortable doing it. I use a 1 3/4" Blackhawk CQB Rescue Belt. It covers the trigger and stays put. I love that belt, its awesome. I do wipe the gun down and hit it with a silicon rag each day also.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PPCmaster said:
doesn't the law in Ohio mandate that if you carry its has to be holstered or in a bag or case :?

Yes, im currently searching for a good IWB. Being pulled over, ive never been asked to surrender my weapon or asked if it was holstered.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
choochboost said:
[quote name='Smith Shooter'][quote name='choochboost']Nikon has not found rust on his M&P but for the record the melonite finish will not absolutely prevent a M&P from rusting.
The slide is stainless steel with the melonite coating over it. That combination should be pretty rust resistant.[/quote]

Stainless steel can rust and so will Melonite M&Ps and/or Tennifer Glocks. In spite of their reputation, it happens. All I'm saying is that it's possible and that we should maintain and care for our pistols as much as we would any other gun with another finish.[/quote]

Agreed. however i could look at my XD wrong and it would rust. Back in the big blackout of 04, i carried it mexican in the blazing heat. Next morning i woke to the power back on, and a nice orange coat of rust.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gringop said:
My MP40 has rusted from one days carry in my old Sparks Exec. I just got a new horsehide one, it should be better at blocking the moisture. After the Texas State match I may send the slide off for Ion Bond coating.

Stainless will rust, no doubt about it.

Gringop
leather holsters have a certain level of acidity inherently.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts