MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new LTC holder here in Mass and I am finding all the things I can and can't get or do in this state very frustrating. I just bought a M&P full size 9mm 3 weeks ago. I do not like the 10lb trigger pull at all. I have read many things here on this wonderful site but I am still a little confused. I talked to the place I bought my M&P from and they said they have to sell the gun with that trigger but a Ma resident can have a lower pound trigger if they want. Well I asked their gunsmith he did trigger jobs and he said no because if he were to alter the trigger weight and I had to use it he would find himself in court right next to me in a whole world of s**t. He said that I would be in big trouble if they found out I changed my trigger weight. I have read this forum up and down and hear you guys say that justifiable is justifiable but I was wondering if there are anymore places you guys know of to get the straight answers on this subject. By the way this site is great…..Thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome to the site...

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
It is possible that if you were involved in a shooting that some sleazebag DA or personal injury lawyer might try to use that against you, you can't predict what some might do, particularly in a state like Mass where gun ownership is frowned on by the state in general.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the site...If you need help this is the place to be...

·
Registered
937 Posts
For answers you'll either have to talk to an attorney versed on the subject and/or look through the Mass revised code yourself. The 10lb trigger is a work of moronic legal art. Does anyone here know why they would think a 10lb trigger makes the gun less dangerous, aside from being some restriction on the guns themselves?

The actual change-over is simply a matter of swapping out the sear-block and I think the trigger spring. I'm sure you've probably read the threads involved. It really is a DIY job with a couple of punches and some time. The legality of it in a defensive situation, in my mind, should be moot. If you are forced to shoot to defend yourself, whether the trigger is 10lb or 3 lb, it wouldn't matter. Is the extra strain required to pull a 10 pounder supposed to make you reconsider your use of force? It'd be laughable if it weren't so rediculous. In any case, if you kow a lawyer or two, ask them how defensible it would be. Some prosecutors are slime, and would do everything to string you up for your "purposely modified for more lethality" gun.

·
Registered
937 Posts
After an exhausting search of the Mass state code, I could find two places under the licensing of businesses that would make anyone involved in gunsmithing or sales tell you no in regards to changing the trigger weight. THe listings are in Chapter 140, sections 121-131 of the code. Basicly it's entirely illegal for a gunsmith to hand over a gun that is modified to be less than the required safety regulations. I could not find anything that explained owner restrictions, other than the usual 922 dribble. Check with a lawyer versed in defensive shooting before carrying a gun with a modified trigger weight.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the site...for you trigger pressure problems do what I plan on doing soon Move to the South
. Just kidding once again welcome to the site!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks FieroCDSP for your help I guess I will have to talk to a lawyer (great their fun)...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi All, thought that I would introduce myself. I, too, live in MA which makes life difficult for gun owners, with the state having little respect for the second amendment.

I live north of Boston, and I have my LTC - CLass A with no restrictions (issued in August), as well as non-resident license in NH. I have joined the NRA and GOAL, and own the M&P 9mm compact. So far, I have only fired 165 rounds, and am very impressed with its accuracy, and its feel. Fits my hand beautifully

On the trigger pull, yes, the 10lb pull is lousy, and I have back ordered the standard sear from Brownell's. It is my understanding that it is not illegal for the gun owner to change the trigger pull -- it simply can't be sold with less than 10lb pull. Now, of course, any lawyer or DA can try to use anything along those lines as a way to indict you, but in a life-threatening situation, rapid fire may be necessary, and I think the 10lb pull may be a detriment. Moreover, if it is truly (and provable) self-defense, then I don't think the actual trigger pull would be much of an issue -- the self-defense would be the issue. :!:

To fill out more my introduction -- I am a Clinical Psychologist in private practice (probably, the only one in MA that has a LTC and a gun), and in addition to shooting, I enjoy white-water rafting, hiking, biking, scuba diving, and photography. I am looking forward to being a member of this forum

·
Registered
67 Posts
10 lbs to sell... not to own!

I was once a resident of MA, so I feel for you. The following is information I gleaned before my departure. Don't take any of it as gospel (i.e. verify for yourself), but it should give you a clue where to start.

The requirement for the 10 lbs trigger pull, among other things, is not in any way a law which effects individual gun-owners directly. Rather, a few years ago the state attorney's office, in an attempt to circumvent the legislature, invoked their power to impose "consumer protection" regulations on firearms vendors. They came out with a long and arbitrary list of required features that handguns sold in MA would have to meet (effectively greatly reducing the variety of firearms available in MA). Many high-quality firearms manufacturers simply refused to certify their guns for sale in MA because it was too much of a hassel (which, no doubt, was partly the state attorney's intent).

One of the requirements was at least a 10 lbs trigger pull weight on the first shot (note that DA/SA guns, like the classic SIGs, can have lighter pulls on the second and subsequent shots). As I recall, another requirement was a loaded chamber indicator (which the M&P meets in its default configuration anyway).

However, since all these are "consumer protection" scams... er, I mean requirements, they are all moot once the gun is sold to the consumer. Then you can put any trigger you want in the thing--the requirement only applies to the dealer.

Now, can someone sue you for shooting them if your trigger was modified? Sure. But someone can sue you for anything. Someone can sue you for selling them hot coffee. I would install the trigger you are comfortable using to defend yourself, and if you end up shooting this hypothetical, litigious, murderous attacker with it, well, at least you may yet live to be sued (preferably not by him, but his estate).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts