MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just purchased my first firearm, the full 9. Whenever you put in a loaded mag do you always have to cock it back or is there some button i can push where it loads the bullet in the chamber itself? I saw some lady do this with a Glock, and i was like wow that would be easier on the fingers. I know this is a stupid question but i am very new to this, only been to the range like three times. thanks! 8)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Dont use your fingers, lay the palm of your weak hand over top of gun. Grab slide with hole hand like your grasping a handle. Give it a hard yank back and let go, always keeping muzzle down range

·
Registered
373 Posts
I highly recommend some formal firearms training or at least find somebody who is knowledgeable who can show you the proper handling of a firearm. It is a wise investment.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
tigs40cal said:
Dont use your fingers, lay the palm of your weak hand over top of gun. Grab slide with hole hand like your grasping a handle. Give it a hard yank back and let go, always keeping muzzle down range
Do not get in the habit of doing this with your hand covering the ejection port.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='tigs40cal']Dont use your fingers, lay the palm of your weak hand over top of gun. Grab slide with hole hand like your grasping a handle. Give it a hard yank back and let go, always keeping muzzle down range
Do not get in the habit of doing this with your hand covering the ejection port.[/quote]

True, wasnt going to write a book. :wink:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
1. Read the instruction manual that came with the pistol. I believe it spells out the available controls.

2. Then immediately obtain some instructions in the proper handeling of firearms.

3. Expand your new found knowledge by going to a range and firing your new toy. :twisted:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does the gunshop that sold you the gun also have a range? Most gunshops that have sold you a firearm are more then willing to give you a small lesson on gun handling and shooting pointers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it was a range. The owner gave me a nice 15 min crash course, and i felt he showed me pretty much what i needed to know. I know how to handle a firearm, i just dont know all the tricks and what not... Within my three visits, i rented around 8 different pistols so i thought i got a good grasp on everything. This seemed like the best option, 400 bucks with only 2000 rounds shot before my purchase. The only thing i am waiting on is the case and diff. sized grips. thanks guys for your input.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
AJL3167 said:
Yes it was a range. The owner gave me a nice 15 min crash course, and i felt he showed me pretty much what i needed to know. I know how to handle a firearm, i just dont know all the tricks and what not... Within my three visits, i rented around 8 different pistols so i thought i got a good grasp on everything. This seemed like the best option, 400 bucks with only 2000 rounds shot before my purchase. The only thing i am waiting on is the case and diff. sized grips. thanks guys for your input.

you bought it used without all accessories???? Is this true????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, the guy who sold it to the range is bringing everything by this weekend. the owner assured me if he does not he would give me everything that came with it. I have the manual, and two 17 round clips. He gave me a glock case for now to store it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
AJL3167... I suspect that the lady you mentioned was loading a magazine into a gun with the slide open and the button you referred to was the slide stop button... once the mag was in she was releasing the slide button with her thumb, which chambered the 1st round... if that was what she was doing with the Glock, then yes, you can do the same with the M&P9... Hollywood does that all the time... but, i don't know if that is an acceptable way to chamber the 1st round or not, but it does work.

I also just purchased a M&P9... and took it to the range for the first time with my son tonight... had a great time... But, since most of my experience has been with wheel guns in the past i spent an hour with a professional FA instructor as a refresher course in FA safety and to get familiar with the operation of an automatic... it was time and money well spent! My son also spent an hour with the same guy, before i would let him shoot. We both has a great time and the M&P9 worked flawlessy with it's 1st 250 rounds... great gun, accurate right out of the box... but will probably have the local GS do a little trigger tune up... but, all in all i'm very please with the gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could lock the slide back, and release it with the slide stop to chamber your first round, but it's a waste of energy trying to lock the slide back without an empty mag in the pistol. On your first round, your better to just insert the magazine, then grab the scallops, pull back as far as the slide will go and release.

After you finish a mag, the slide will automatically lock open, allowing you to insert another mag, and then simply use the slidestop release to chamber the next round.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gets some Fire Arms Training. If you don't know how to chamber a round into an auto you most likely need to gets some gun handling instruction. Safety First get some instruction you won't regret it and you will become more confident and comfortable on the range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know how to chamber a round the correct way, but i didnt know you could also push down the slide stop to chamber a round. I just couldnt figure out what the "that button" (slide stop) was. The owner gave me 15-20 min crash course and i feel very comfortable now since going to the range 10 plus times now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts