MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by Gander Mountain the other day to look over the 9 MM autos. The M & P and the XD felt the best in my hand. Since I've had S & W revolvers over the years and loved them, I decided to go with the m & P. I compared the full size with the Compact. It didn't seem like much difference to me, very little. I decided to buy the full size. I'm not sure how much concealed carry I'm going to do but figure I could hide the larger one just as easy and have a pistol I could shoot better as far as accuracy goes.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I consider the difference in grip length between the two to be significant. When it comes to CCW that's the hardest thing to conceal anyway.

·
Registered
471 Posts
+1 to what choochboost said. The Compact will conceal easier. I was at a store yesterday and held both of them. I like the way the Compact feels in my hand better. Either is a good gun.

Ron

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd be very interested in a compact grip with fullsize slide combo.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My line of thinking also; if a fullsize conceals just fine, which for me it does, then its a plus because the bigger grip will allow a faster presentation.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The full size conceals nice, but when i sit, the grip is what pokes the seat.. That is the only thing I have to really complain about. So a full slide with short grip would be awesome!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Seems to me the compact with the finger extension magazine is very close to the same size as the full size grip frame. The difference in slide length doesn't really factor into concealability. Unless you use the compact magazine without the extension I don't see the practical difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
JohnN said:
Seems to me the compact with the finger extension magazine is very close to the same size as the full size grip frame. The difference in slide length doesn't really factor into concealability. Unless you use the compact magazine without the extension I don't see the practical difference.
Agreed. The extention would have to go.

I seems Springfield has made an XD in this config with the short grip wih the long slide. I hope S&W follows.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I was trying to decide what to buy, compact vs full size, so was my buddy in another state. He bought the compact. Because he has very large hands, he added the full length adaptor and normal magazine to the pistol. I don't see the point. Now he has a near full size pistol. Isn't the only difference a half inch of barrel length?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the full size and have had no problems with conceal, I just postion the holster a little forward

on my hips and that hides the handle from sticking out. I use a comp-tac holster and it's very comfortable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
vetter3006 said:
I have the full size and have had no problems with conceal, I just postion the holster a little forward

on my hips and that hides the handle from sticking out. I use a comp-tac holster and it's very comfortable.

I also use the full size M&P40 and have no problem concealing it. I too position the gun a little forward to conceal the grip. Most of the compact guns are not that much smaller in the handle especially if you add a full fingered grip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts