MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if you can tell a difference in recoil with using subsonic 147 grain vs 115 grain or really any of the others like 124 and 135?
So far my favorite Ammo to shoot based on felt recoil is Freedom Munitions 115 FMJ new. It has more of a muted thump and just seems overall “smoother” than say a 124 grain Federal Syntech which I would describe as more of a snappy round with more kick to it. I’m guessing that from what little research I’ve done the loads with less actual muzzle energy in foot pounds is what determines what feels best to me. I haven’t used any 147 and just realized that most of those are subsonic so I am curious about how they feel. I have a Perf Center Pro 9 M2.0 5”.

Any comments?

SB

·
Registered
49 Posts
You are not comparing apples to apples, but different brands and different velocities. That's OK, as long as you realize it. I have found that when shooting the same brand of 115 vs 124 gr. bullet, the 124 grain "seems" to have less recoil. Since recoil is subjective, that probably doesn't mean much. I've never shot 147 gr. so no help for you there.

According to a chart I found on line, the speed of sound depends on height from sea level and ambient temperature, but is "around" 1135 ft. per second, more or less. Realize that the rated ammo speed is likely from a full size gun barrel, or in some cases from a rifle barrel, so that is all "If" and "maybe" -- however, any round with a speed of less than "around" 1135 ft per second could be classed as subsonic.

How's that for muddying the waters?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I’ve never shot any 147gr 9mm myself, but I know several friends that use it for IDPA and carry because they say the recoil is “less” for faster followup shots.

I don’t consider the recoil of any 9mm ammo worthy of note.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts