MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just introduced myself over in the intro lounge and wanted to get in on this praise of the Smith and Wesson M&P. I have never owned a SW semi auto before, or honestly given it much thought, but man this pistol has changed everything! I haven't owned a pistol in a long long time that excited me as much as this MP compact 9mm! The closest I've come to appreciating a new gun design to this one was the HK P2000, which I LOVE also. This little M&Pc is an unbelievable pistol though. The ergonomics, weight, capacity, perfect size, realiability, accuracy and what I find to be a perfectly acceptable trigger make for the near perfect CCW pistol! I'm glad to see this forum up and hope it stays active. I'll be buying at least 4 new MP's over the next 30 days or so, or everything that's available. I can't wait to get my hands on the new full size .45! Pistols I've carried in the past have been:

SIG Sauer P239-Still one of my favorite pistols.

SIG Sauer P229-Wonderful pistol also.

Glock 27-Up to now the best polymer sub I could find. Loved the pistol and still do.

Glock 26-When I felt like the 9mm.

Glock 23-Never warmed to the felt recoil of the .40 in the mid sized frame even though I don't mind it in the sub.

Glock 32-Same as the 23.

HK P2000-Also one of my very favorite pistols for carry. Near perfection.

HK USP Compact .40, .45 and 9mm-Great shooters, but a bit hard on the hands in anything other than 9mm, mostly when compared to the P2000.

Kimber Eclipse-Pro Carry and 3". I never warmed to these 1911's.

Now the Smith and Wesson Military and Police Compact 9mm! WOW! I can't put it down. It's perfection! The fit and finish is unbelievable, it's built like a tank, Novak sights are great, and it has all the features of a $650 pistol. Better buy these sweethearts up before SW wakes up like the old Croation sensation folks did with the XD pre-Springfield days

I'll post pics and range reports with each new purchase!! Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jagman, I share your enthusiasm. Never been a big polymer gun fan but decided to give the M&P40 a try after purchasing the M&P15T and finding it to be a piece of industrial art. Since the 40, I have purchased the 9 and 9c and am anxiously awaiting the 45. Can't wait to read your range reports, good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
compact

yep, I'm still liking my compact as well. I went ahead and got the rear night sight as well from Brownell's this week, ordered 3 extra mags from S&W, and carry it often in my Compac paddle holster. I'm debating whether to shoot it or my full sized in an upcoming Tom Givens pistol class.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jagman said:
Just introduced myself over in the intro lounge and wanted to get in on this praise of the Smith and Wesson M&P. I have never owned a SW semi auto before, or honestly given it much thought, but man this pistol has changed everything! I haven't owned a pistol in a long long time that excited me as much as this MP compact 9mm! The closest I've come to appreciating a new gun design to this one was the HK P2000, which I LOVE also. This little M&Pc is an unbelievable pistol though. The ergonomics, weight, capacity, perfect size, realiability, accuracy and what I find to be a perfectly acceptable trigger make for the near perfect CCW pistol! I'm glad to see this forum up and hope it stays active. I'll be buying at least 4 new MP's over the next 30 days or so, or everything that's available. I can't wait to get my hands on the new full size .45! Pistols I've carried in the past have been:

Glock 27-Up to now the best polymer sub I could find. Loved the pistol and still do.

Glock 23-Never warmed to the felt recoil of the .40 in the mid sized frame even though I don't mind it in the sub.

Glock 32-Same as the 23.

HK USP Compact .40, .45 and 9mm-Great shooters, but a bit hard on the hands in anything other than 9mm, mostly when compared to the P2000.

Now the Smith and Wesson Military and Police Compact 9mm! WOW! I can't put it down. It's perfection! The fit and finish is unbelievable, it's built like a tank, Novak sights are great, and it has all the features of a $650 pistol. Better buy these sweethearts up before SW wakes up like the old Croation sensation folks did with the XD pre-Springfield days

so the G23 has too much recoil, but you like the 27?? Interesting.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: compact

Pstmstr said:
yep, I'm still liking my compact as well. I went ahead and got the rear night sight as well from Brownell's this week, ordered 3 extra mags from S&W, and carry it often in my Compac paddle holster. I'm debating whether to shoot it or my full sized in an upcoming Tom Givens pistol class.

I think I'm just going to get a night sight for the front. I like the rear Novak sight way too much!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nikon777 said:
[quote name='Jagman']Just introduced myself over in the intro lounge and wanted to get in on this praise of the Smith and Wesson M&P. I have never owned a SW semi auto before, or honestly given it much thought, but man this pistol has changed everything! I haven't owned a pistol in a long long time that excited me as much as this MP compact 9mm! The closest I've come to appreciating a new gun design to this one was the HK P2000, which I LOVE also. This little M&Pc is an unbelievable pistol though. The ergonomics, weight, capacity, perfect size, realiability, accuracy and what I find to be a perfectly acceptable trigger make for the near perfect CCW pistol! I'm glad to see this forum up and hope it stays active. I'll be buying at least 4 new MP's over the next 30 days or so, or everything that's available. I can't wait to get my hands on the new full size .45! Pistols I've carried in the past have been:

Glock 32-Same as the 23.

so the G23 has too much recoil, but you like the 27?? Interesting.[/quote]

For whatever reason the G32 and 23 were both harsh feeling guns to me, while both of them as 27's and 33's feel fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
M&P vs P2000

Jagman

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I am interested in your thoughts comparing the M&Pc and the P2000. I only had a chance to hold the H&K, and I thought it felt great. The only downside was price (and that I couldn't try one out). I like the full size M&P, but I have not yet held a compact.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: M&P vs P2000

readyme said:
Jagman

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I am interested in your thoughts comparing the M&Pc and the P2000. I only had a chance to hold the H&K, and I thought it felt great. The only downside was price (and that I couldn't try one out). I like the full size M&P, but I have not yet held a compact.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The P2000 is an outstanding pistol; one of the best pistols I've ever owned out of many. It is more of a compact pistols, vs a sub compact, although many would argue the M&P isn't really a sub either, but to my feel, the MP feels smaller and handier. That said, I still believe the HK is at the very top of concealed carry options for those who want a full grip and a bit larger pistol. It will continue to get some carry time. The MPc however IS smaller, lighter, (not sure how much), and high capacity. In fact one of the things I like about the MPc is the 12 round magazines. My P2000 is .40 and has 12 round magazines, and I believe in 9mm that pistol is 13 rounds, so definitely a plus for the MP. I find the MP to have as good of fit and finish, although too soon to say about the reliability factor. My HK's, all of them have NEVER failed me for any reason.

I love both pistols. I'm just kind of knocked out by the newest SW offering. I love everything about these pistols and will by buying full size versions in 9 and .40 this week to round out current available models. I can't say I'll be buying an HK P2000sk cause the grip ergo's are all screwed up....not sure how HK let that happen after the excelent job of designing the P2000 full. I'm not sure if it will stick, but right now I can buy two full size M&P's almost for the price of one HK. I don't see that lasting for long.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
I found out not long ago that there are some agencies that carry P2000SKs in ankle holsters. I haven't seen a M&Pc face-to-face yet but if you could carry a P2000SK, seems like you should be able to a M&Pc. Well, I said that like you could find an ankle holster out there somewhere.

Maybe a tip, I have contacted Eric Larsen of H.M.E. and he can make custom holsters for the M&P and I presume the M&Pc. He's made me a sharkskin belt and sharkskin holster from my Sig 229R DAK, the sharpskin looks great, is tough as nails, but is a little extravegant and pricey, but it is nice. I am very pleased with his work!!!!

I have a leather holster on order for a Beretta 92FS, and just called Eric and left a message that if it isn't too late to change the order to the from the 92FS to the M&P.

Here's his site - if posting a link here is not permitted, please accept my sincere apologies.

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
links arn't a problem as long as you don't spam 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
this has already been answered i'm sure

(i've asked this before but don't remember the answer)

will the full size mag work in the compact?

sorry jester, you and i talked about this but i don't remember.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tony218 said:
this has already been answered i'm sure

(i've asked this before but don't remember the answer)

will the full size mag work in the compact?

sorry jester, you and i talked about this but i don't remember.

Yep

·
Registered
88 Posts
That was really wise of S&W to make the 'c' version compatible with the full size mags. The only reason I didn't buy an H&K USP compact is because the full size mags wouldn't work in the compact.

Having carried Glocks for many years, I always thought the interchangable mags were a significant advantage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts