MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, my wife just had a terrible experience at a local gunshop. She and her mom went while I was at work (which in itself is just WRONG anyway
). The owner was terribly condescending and did nothing but sigh at her and was very snappy. Based on a lot of what she told me, I have half a mind to take her there with me and... Well... Anyway the other half of my mind is smarter and more thoughtful and long-suffering! Anyway, she was looking for some oil for lubing our M&P after cleaning (weapon shield is in the mail!) and the guy snapped at her saying she shouldn't ever use oil on polymer guns, the M&P specifically, but she should be using grease. Now I don't doubt his knowledge, he's a gunsmith and has a lot of experience, just no manners... She and I hadn't heard about using grease instead of oil. When we do use oil on our gun, we only apply it to the metal parts anyway. He was so rude he turned down a sale (didn't want to pay to process her debit card instead of her using cash) so we figure it wasn't him trying to get my wife to buy something more expensive... What do you think? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I use Militec-1 oil and it keeps my guns running very, very well. I put oil on all the points recommended by the manual. Militec literally treats the metal to keep friction at a minimum even after the surface lubricant has evaporated. I've run guns for 3,000+ without lubricating them after treating them with Militec.

However, I do use grease (TW-25B) to keep the action as smooth as possible. The grease stays in place and provides constant, consistent lubrication of the small parts. I tried using the grease on the rails and barrel for a while, but found that it didn't keep the gun lubricated & running as long because debris would build up and contaminate the grease creating a slush that was more like sandpaper than lubricant.

YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It depends. Todd shoots his guns a bunch, so they get cleaned and lubed more often (I hope
). Oil works in his situation. When I carry an auto, I use grease (Slide Glide Lite) because it stays in place, while I've had oil drain out of the frame rails. When I shoot it, I'll do a quick field strip and clean to get the majority of the crud out and re-lube it with RemOil. I use the RemOil because I have a small bottle of it that fits nicely inside my gun bag, not because of any inherent superiority. When I get home, I'll do a more thorough cleaning and re-apply the grease.

FWIW, a lot of folks tout Mobil One engine oil as an excellent gun oil. It's expensive for your car, but a quart of oil lasts a long time when used for guns.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Clean? What is this thing you call "clean?"

I'll pass 15,000 rounds through my M&P this afternoon. I've cleaned it three times.

But revchuck is right, different uses require different applications. Grease is a great option for a gun that will be carried a lot but shot infrequently. However, I have to admit that in my experience, a really quality oil serves this purpose, as well. A "combat load" of lubrication need only keep the gun protected and functioning for 100 rounds or less. A very light sheen of oil, just enough that you can see it and feel it, provides all the protection and lubrication you'll need. If oil runs off the gun after you've lubed it, the run-off isn't doing you any good.

But my dislike of greasing the rails is probably directly related to my poor maintenance routine. As I said, grease on the rails tends to attract and trap debris and after thousands of rounds that debris will visibly result in increased wear. Not the grease's fault, of course, but with the Militec I don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Good post guys. I think I will run with light oil. I have tried grease on my rifles at various stages but keep going back to a light oil… I have actually been running with graphite powder… 100% dry powder. Attracts no dust or dirt, great for wet as well, water tends to just “bead” off where the graphite is. I know it isn’t water proofing or preventing rust but on the non rusting SS and ally parts of a rifle it don’t matter. 8)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ToddG said:
As I said, grease on the rails tends to attract and trap debris and after thousands of rounds that debris will visibly result in increased wear.

Todd,

Not to be picking on you as I feel I have been lately, but it has always been my understanding that most of the unburnt powder residue left inside of a gun is graphite, which as we know is a pretty good lubricant.

In warm weather I only use grease (Steel Shield Tech LithiGrease awesome stuff), once it gets cold out I will use the weapon shield on the slide rails and barrel contact points but everywhere else gets the grease.

I shoot a good bit also :wink: and have never witnessed any increased wear as a result of using grease. Now I also don't shoot in any environments where I would be getting outside debris (sand, dirt, etc) in my gun so maybe this is what is happening to you. and for those that shoot in those types of conditions good luck everything lubes and protects your gun worth a dime attracts crap.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
[quote name='ToddG'] As I said, grease on the rails tends to attract and trap debris and after thousands of rounds that debris will visibly result in increased wear.

Todd,

Not to be picking on you as I feel I have been lately, but it has always been my understanding that most of the unburnt powder residue left inside of a gun is graphite, which as we know is a pretty good lubricant.

In warm weather I only use grease (Steel Shield Tech LithiGrease awesome stuff), once it gets cold out I will use the weapon shield on the slide rails and barrel contact points but everywhere else gets the grease.

I shoot a good bit also :wink: and have never witnessed any increased wear as a result of using grease. Now I also don't shoot in any environments where I would be getting outside debris (sand, dirt, etc) in my gun so maybe this is what is happening to you. and for those that shoot in those types of conditions good luck everything lubes and protects your gun worth a dime attracts crap.[/quote]

Not to diverse, but do you use grease on the trigger parts? If so, just a lite smear?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
243ww said:
Not to diverse, but do you use grease on the trigger parts? If so, just a lite smear?

In warm weather I put it every where, in cold just on the trigger parts: plunger, trigger bar, sear, and striker face.

Never ever put any grease, oil, or anything in the striker channel, or anywhere on the stiker but the just the part that engages the sear.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
Todd,

Dan,

FYI graphite is only a lubricant at very low speeds. At high speed it becomes an abrasive. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how fast something has to the moving before it makes the transition but I'd be surprised if a slide wasn't moving fast enough. Way back when Arco relearned this important lesson when it introduced a line of graphite laced motor oil. They and their customers soon discovered that it increased engine wear 200-300%. I've also relearned it when machining solid blocks of graphite. High speed steel milling tools don't last very long.

I was there for some of the original Break Free CLP trials and will continue to use it as my primary weapon lube. But just for the sake of maintaining an open mind I'm going to try some Slide Glide lite on stuff I don't shoot as often as I should.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
sholling said:
FYI graphite is only a lubricant at very low speeds. At high speed it becomes an abrasive. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how fast something has to the moving before it makes the transition but I'd be surprised if a slide wasn't moving fast enough. Way back when Arco relearned this important lesson when it introduced a line of graphite laced motor oil. They and their customers soon discovered that it increased engine wear 200-300%. I've also relearned it when machining solid blocks of graphite. High speed steel milling tools don't last very long.

I was there for some of the original Break Free CLP trials and will continue to use it as my primary weapon lube. But just for the sake of maintaining an open mind I'm going to try some Slide Glide lite on stuff I don't shoot as often as I should.

Not knowing much about how high of a velocity you need to get it to cause friction, I would dare to say a slide apparently doesn't get there. I have around 15K through my competition M&P that has a nickle Teflon finish on the slide and there is barely any wear. I also have used slide glide on my 1911s for years I have one SV that likely has 30K+ on it and the fit is the same as ever. Not to mention the countless people on the Enos forums that shoot more than I do using the stuff no one has ever complained of increased wear.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I use rem oil to provide shine and rust prevention plus barrel contact point lube. A friend gave me some military gun grease in small vials 20 years back and I use a very small dab on each of the slide supports/guides. Maximum rounds between cleaning is probably 600, usualy 200 so it doesn't need much rust prevention.

My XD's and now M&P's seem to like that treatment so untill I run out of Rem oil and Mil grease that will be it.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
FWIW I use Slide Glide on everything internal that should be lubed, and Weapon Shield on exterior metal for rust prevention.

I clean and remove old Slide Glide every 2 sessions and re-apply.

Use #1 or Lite

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Mobil-1 5w-30 in all my guns. I have never had a problem with any of my guns. And I think it's been almost 2 years. Plus some of my stuff sets for a little before I shoot it again. I would recommend it to anybody. Andy

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
Todd,

Not to be picking on you as I feel I have been lately,

:?: If you've been picking on me I haven't noticed, dude. No worries.

but it has always been my understanding that most of the unburnt powder residue left inside of a gun is graphite, which as we know is a pretty good lubricant.

That may be. But I know from experience that -- especially when shooting lead free ammo, which has its own very special, very annoying residue -- grease creates a thick paste full of crap which can start to slow down the gun and definitely wore the finish on my aluminum frame rails much faster than I ever experienced when using Militec.

Another important note: the only grease I've used is TW-25B; perhaps other greases are less prone to this issue?

Like most wear and maintenance issues, it probably depends a lot more on ammo and environment than we'd like.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm one of those guys who has to try all the newest hi tech lubes, cleaners and anything else.

On pistols, I currently have been using Shooters choice "HI TECH GREASE. Actually I like it. I use the grease on the barrel, slide rails, locking lug. If it slides I use grease. On springs like the trigger I have been using the Weapon Shield CLP.

On my various duty handguns including my M&P I have not had a failure.

On my shotgun I used the weapon shield exclusively. I went through a 3day patrol shotgun school and then qualifications. I shot around 500 rounds of combined buck shot and slugs in two days. The gun worked perfectly, no failures at all and no extra noticeable wear on any of the metal to metal parts.

As funds allow I will be ordering several sets of the Weapon Shield products. I may even try the grease.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
madecov brings up another good point ... how hard will you run your gear between cleaning and lubrication opportunities?

One reason I'm so loyal to Militec is because I'm absolutely stupid about letting my guns sit dirty and dry. I've gone through 3-4,000 round week-long shooting schools without putting a drop of extra lube on my guns (Berettas and SIGs) and the next school I go to will certainly put the M&P through a similar test. I've found that Militec will run the gun even when I'm being absolutely abusive.

I'm sure there are other products on the market that work wonderfully, as well, but for me Militec falls under the "if it aint broke don't change it" rule.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts