MP-Pistol Forum banner

oil or grease?

4K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  TAC 
#1 ·
Allright, my wife just had a terrible experience at a local gunshop. She and her mom went while I was at work (which in itself is just WRONG anyway
). The owner was terribly condescending and did nothing but sigh at her and was very snappy. Based on a lot of what she told me, I have half a mind to take her there with me and... Well... Anyway the other half of my mind is smarter and more thoughtful and long-suffering! Anyway, she was looking for some oil for lubing our M&P after cleaning (weapon shield is in the mail!) and the guy snapped at her saying she shouldn't ever use oil on polymer guns, the M&P specifically, but she should be using grease. Now I don't doubt his knowledge, he's a gunsmith and has a lot of experience, just no manners... She and I hadn't heard about using grease instead of oil. When we do use oil on our gun, we only apply it to the metal parts anyway. He was so rude he turned down a sale (didn't want to pay to process her debit card instead of her using cash) so we figure it wasn't him trying to get my wife to buy something more expensive... What do you think? Thank you.

See less See more
#27 ·
With 1911's I use Slide Glide and an oil floater. I only own Les Baer 1911's which are very tight pistols but this works well. With Sigs I use a combination of TW-25B with an oil "floater" on top. I do the same with my M&P's but use quite a bit less of both than I did with Sigs. I clean my weapons every time I shoot them so I'm not really worried about sludge/grease buildup. I over lube quite a bit from what the manual recommends. I don't have a favorite gun oil. I think pretty much all the high quality gun oils are about the same. All the ones people have already mentioned are easily obtainable. You can even get Rem oil at Wally World.

#30 ·
Lube is like exercise.

Odds are as long as your doing something, you're ahead of the game.

Pat Rodgers wrote up an article where he ran AR's on different lubes (a weapon noted for being picky about lube). He ran different oils, grease, suntan lotion, vagasil, spit, etc....if something was in there keeping the actions wet, they ran.

Pistols are no different. Remoil, Hoppes, Militec, grease, Gun Butter, Slide Glide...if there is lube where there needs to be lube, the gun will run. Some might stay in place better, some might go longer between applications, but they'll all function when applied. As long as YOUR lube of choice works for your needs, your "right" to use it.

#31 ·
white79bu said:
I use Mobil-1 5w-30 in all my guns. I have never had a problem with any of my guns. And I think it's been almost 2 years. Plus some of my stuff sets for a little before I shoot it again. I would recommend it to anybody. Andy

Automotive engine oil is an excellent lubricant, and the synthetic oils are even better. I use Mobil-1 in my cars. However, I don't think engine oil fairs too well as a rust preventative due to their detergent qualities. Something to consider if storing your weapons for a long period of time.

#32 ·
L.C. Star said:
I like to use a little of Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite on the slide rails and Weapon Shield on everything else. The grease (Slide Glide Lite) stays put and seems to make the gun run smoother.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

That's exactly what I do. If it slides I use grease (Slide Glide Lite) otherwise I use oil (Weapon Shield). I always clean my guns after every shooting session and wipe them down with a oily rag after handling them. 8)

Occasionally I blow out the interior of the trigger area (?) with Break Free Power Blast or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and then apply liberal amounts to Weapon Shield. This is the only step I have any doubts about. Does anyone have a problem with either of these products?

#33 ·
Occasionally I blow out the interior of the trigger area (?) with Break Free Power Blast or Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and then apply liberal amounts to Weapon Shield. This is the only step I have any doubts about. Does anyone have a problem with either of these products?
I've heard that Gun Scrubber can react with the plastic in Glock frames causing them to warp. I can't verify this, but it keeps me from using it in my M&Ps. I've used the spray version of BreakFree for the same purpose in other guns, but not in my M&Ps because I haven't gotten them dirty enough yet.

#34 ·
revchuck said:
I've heard that Gun Scrubber can react with the plastic in Glock frames causing them to warp. I can't verify this, but it keeps me from using it in my M&Ps. I've used the spray version of BreakFree for the same purpose in other guns, but not in my M&Ps because I haven't gotten them dirty enough yet.

It has to do with containing chlorinated solvents. It will tell you on the can if it is. I think Gun Scrubber's formula has been revised, and if so, this too should be indicated on the can. Same with brake cleaner, make sure it does not contain chlorinated solvents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.