MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my MP day before yeasterday. great gun. shoot little better then my more expensive beretta 92F/S

anyway, after sending 300rds or so out the pipe, i came home to clean it, and as i read the instruction manual, it says to single drop of gun oil to 7 lubrication point is all i need.

is that all i need or should i lube like internal mechanism and slid to frame contact?

New to polymer frame gun. Donno much about how polymer handle oil for metal gun...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do what the book says. One on each rail, one drop on the mechanism, and drops on the barrel as shown. You will be fine. Over-oiling will cause more problems than anything.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Yes. Oil as per the manual. When you lube the frame rails, (1,2,4,5), you are lubing the slide to frame contact points. I usually use a q-tip to smear the oil around the wear/lube points.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The manual is pretty good. I just prefer grease to oil. For lubing the firing pin safety, I'd pretty much insist on it on a box-stock gun. Oil doesn't stay there very well, and it's one of those friction spots you NEED lube or you REALLY feel the effect on trigger pull.

·
Registered
88 Posts
raz-o,

You probably are aware of grease vs oil, but a buddy of mine shoots a Sig 226 ST 9mm. He never had a problem with it until one day at a pistol shoot, he had his first malfunction. He was extremely disturbed that this happened - I dont' remember the details now, but I asked him not long ago if he figured out what happened. He said yes, it was the grease on the slide.

I don't know how that could be, but this guy is NO newbie when it comes to guns.

Just for your consideration.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Tangle said:
raz-o,

You probably are aware of grease vs oil, but a buddy of mine shoots a Sig 226 ST 9mm. He never had a problem with it until one day at a pistol shoot, he had his first malfunction. He was extremely disturbed that this happened - I dont' remember the details now, but I asked him not long ago if he figured out what happened. He said yes, it was the grease on the slide.

I don't know how that could be, but this guy is NO newbie when it comes to guns.

Just for your consideration.

Well, I know your friend says grease is the devil, but I have used it on tighter guns than my M&P where I'm standing around in 20 degree weather waiting my turn to shoot, and my grease hasn't caused me issues. Frankly, I doubt how grease alone can cause issues. It usually has to be grease and something not getting along well together. I use slide glide lite, and 17,000 rounds later and some cold weather, and sand like talc, and rain, and have had no issues from the grease. Crappy milled non spring-steel extractors, yes, worn out springs, yes, worn out extractors, yes, oil that has evaporated, yes, good quality grease, no.

Are there guns i won't use grease on? yeah. But none of them are ccenter fire pistols. I'd defnitely keep it away from an AR's gas system, that's for sure. I prefer dry film lubes for my 22s because I try to leave their delicate bores alone as much as possible. But that's about it. There are places in the M&P i wouldn't put grease, but they AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LUBED ANYWAY, regardless of lubricant.

Only issue with grease I have had on a pistol has been with the wilson combat ultima lube. The stuff is so runny it isn't better than oil. It simply doesn't stay put and evaporates too easily. I.e. IMO it isn't really grease, despite the label. Actually it's worse as when it evaporates it leaves some solids behind that aren't a dry lubricant. (probably wax or parafin). On an already tight gun, that can lead to binding in short order.

I've been using slide glide and slide glide lite for at least 30,000 rounds on various guns over the last 2-3 years. The only problem attributable to using the stuff was it causing some grip tape adhesive to fail.

Personally I'd require an explanation a bit more detialed other than "the grease did it" to even file away a problem with a gun in the old mental rolodex for troubleshooting gun problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been using grease (SPARINGLY!) on EVERY single gun (well over 200)I've owned for over 30 years without a single problem. The key for me has been using the grease in combo with oil on the slide and its mating surfaces ONLY... no other parts... and the grease is only applied in VERY small amounts. I've been using "Slick 50" grease available from WallyWorld for the past several years with excellent results. I've also switched my "oil" to Militec1 with equally stellar results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts