MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member and soon to be M&P owner, I would like to know if it is OK to dryfire this pistol.

Thanks. :?:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='Ultra-Armed']Dry firing is necessary to break the trigger in. I have people who have dry fired 10,000 times to help get the trigger seasoned.

Wow, they did that all in one sitting? :wink: That's alot of day dreaming about firing the weapon at the range.
[/quote]

Actually two.

I guess they didn't have much else to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry for the ignorance but do I need to worry about breaking the striker at all when dryfiring? I thought I saw some posting regarding dryfiring and improper field stripping disassembly as the culprit for broken striker? Also what's the proper way for dryfiring snap caps or none snap caps. Thanks in advance for the replies.

:?:

·
Registered
319 Posts
i dry fire my M&P at least 100 times a day

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI, I asked S&W if it was okay to dry fire with an empty weapon. Their reply:

Hello,

We would recommend that you use a Snap Cap or similar product when dry

firing your weapon.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
332 Posts
zargarex said:
FYI, I asked S&W if it was okay to dry fire with an empty weapon. Their reply:

Hello,

firing your weapon.

Regards,

Dave
There you have the answer from the manufacturer. (Although I’m surprised you got an honest answer, most manufacturers are afraid to answer that question truthfully.) You should not dry fire any weapon without a snap cap. But that won’t be a popular answer because it isn’t what some people want to hear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ToolMaker said:
[quote name='zargarex']FYI, I asked S&W if it was okay to dry fire with an empty weapon. Their reply:

Hello,

firing your weapon.

Regards,

Dave
There you have the answer from the manufacturer. (Although I’m surprised you got an honest answer, most manufacturers are afraid to answer that question truthfully.) You should not dry fire any weapon without a snap cap. But that won’t be a popular answer because it isn’t what some people want to hear.[/quote]

If a centerfire firearm breaks "firing pins"/"strikers" whatever during dry fire, then it is a bad design, and will break strikers during actual firing (as many posters noted in early models, they seemed to have fixed it in later models)

As a general rule, if I cannot dry fire it, I will not trust it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
vallhawke said:
Sorry for the ignorance but do I need to worry about breaking the striker at all when dryfiring? I thought I saw some posting regarding dryfiring and improper field stripping disassembly as the culprit for broken striker? Also what's the proper way for dryfiring snap caps or none snap caps. Thanks in advance for the replies.

:?:

People have broken strikers (I'm one of them). Deciding that you know what broke them is more or less wishful thinking as nobody has sat down and attempted to reproduce breakage by dry firing or improper takedown unless I missed an interesting thread.

It's all supposition. From mine, i'd say there was some metallurgy problem or something got too hot while machining the striker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Ruger P345 had to have the magazine in to dry fire it due to the mag disconnect. Have removed that, so I can now if I want. Glad with my new M&P45 , I'll be able to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ToolMaker said:
[quote name='zargarex']FYI, I asked S&W if it was okay to dry fire with an empty weapon. Their reply:

Hello,

firing your weapon.

Regards,

Dave
There you have the answer from the manufacturer. (Although I’m surprised you got an honest answer, most manufacturers are afraid to answer that question truthfully.) You should not dry fire any weapon without a snap cap. But that won’t be a popular answer because it isn’t what some people want to hear.[/quote]

I agree, You should not dry fire 100 times a day or excessively dry fire any weapon without a snapcap. The only exception is to release the striker on the gun to take the gun apart , as with the glock guns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a training technique for precision marksmanship, dry firing is very very very very good, in fact, I would assert that it is BETTER than live fire for almost all the skills needed.

NRA Bullseye & High Power rifle shooters dryfire quite a bit (but not near enough), and no competitor recommends against it for 1911 or AR-15, nor do they own snap caps. Olympic shooters dry fire much much more than NRA shooters, like 5 to 10 carefully aimed dry fire shots at home or at the range for every live fire shot at the range. Olympic air guns have a special dry fire mode, yes they even dry fire air guns!

some guns may not tolerate dry firing, for instance it is often recommended that rimfire guns not be dry fired, but the top end olympic/NRA competition rifles such as Anschutz are designed to tolerate it. Some olympic style competition pistols (pardini) come with a special dry fire plug.

MP is not a pistol well suited for precision competition, I don't know if dry firing is a big a benefit for the action shooting competition events, other than drawing and first shot drills.

I do dry fire my MP.

Poole

·
Registered
215 Posts
jbremount said:
[quote name='ToolMaker'][quote name='zargarex']FYI, I asked S&W if it was okay to dry fire with an empty weapon. Their reply:

Hello,

firing your weapon.

Regards,

Dave

I agree, You should not dry fire 100 times a day or excessively dry fire any weapon without a snapcap. The only exception is to release the striker on the gun to take the gun apart , as with the glock guns.[/quote]

I was told it was, and it wouldn't hurt the weapon. I was also told it was OK to dry fire any centerfire weapon, but never on a rimfire. I was told this from a gunsmith.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts