23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered: March 21, 2013
Estimated ship date emailed: April 18, 2013
Received in mail: April 22, 2013
Total days: 33 Days (4 3/4 weeks)
Gun: M&P9c
IWB holster: Black Horsehide w/Carbon Fiber simulated Kydex

I needed a holster for my gun. This is the first time I would be concealing a pistol and decided of doing an IWB holster after watching a Hickok45 video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUWWw14XqE) about concealed carry.

So I began a search and found out about Old Faithful Holsters. I went to their website (Old Faithful Holsters - The Holster Store of Most Comfortable Gun Holsters) and saw that they had quick assemble kits in the $40 range and fully assembled kits in the $70 range.

I ordered the Quick assemble kit IWB for my M&P9c. They had it in a drop down menu when I was choosing which also had many other guns. It also asked for the options that you wanted. The leather color can be Tan or Black(extra of $3). They have 13 different colors of Kydex to choose from and that also comes with a extra fee of about $5. Then they ask if its is a left/right handed holster. There is a little section under the options for the holster where you can leave notes.

What surprised me the most was that they have a 30 day challenge that if you don't agree that it is the most comfortable and concealable holster you worn. You can get your money back and keep the holster. Not to mention they have a 50 year Guarantee where they will replace your holster if it is worn out.

Packaged size compared to 12oz can :D

What I pulled out of the package

Everything that came with the package seemed like good quality. The things highlighted in yellow showed me that they actually read the notes, A + in my book :clap:

Installing the T-nuts was the hardest part to me. I installed all 10 T-nuts. It only took less than 10 minutes.

All I needed was a hammer and the supplied horsehide material to use as a backing when hammering.

Here's what you would expect when you install all 10 T-nuts

To adjust retention they include these rubber hoses in 3 sizes. I used the middle sized one because that's what they recommended. The large one was just too big and the longest screw wasn't long enough to catch the T-nut.

They Carbon Fiber simulated kydex is one of the best I've seen. The holes line up with the holes drilled in the leather. They said their kydex .093 inch thick compared to the rest of their competition which is at .060 inch.

Another part of putting the kydex onto the holster was just as simple as getting the screws and washers tightened down. Adjusting the retention is as easy as tightening the screws. Unlike other holster where you can't adjust it because it is riveted.

Installing the belt clips is the same as installing the Kydex but faster. The belt clips have a good amount of strength to them. I also like the look of it because they don't advertise anything on their clips

Test fitting the M&P9c. The gun would fall out of it if i was holding it upside down and shaking it. But we all know that the holster is meant to add more retaining pressure when worn.

After an hour of trying it out I have made adjustments to the belts clips in the pic shown. I made it tuck lower into my pants and cant more forward. The arrow pointing to the red mark is the leather that I cut off. When I tried practicing my draw the leather would rub up against my finger badly and ruin my draw.

I'm 5'5", 150lbs, and wear a 32 in pants. I wear the holster around the 7:30-8:00 position. These shots were taken from my wife. I'm in definite need of a gun belt.

These were taken by me aiming at the mirror. It might look on the right side but it is actually on my left.

Downsides: I had to cut the holster because it was rubbing my thumb when holstering/un-holstering my pistol. The screws tend to get loose sometimes. Especially at the belt clips (a lil thread lock helped that so I didn't have to worry about it anymore). The wait time, I was told in advance though that it might take a month before I purchased it.

Advanteges: Retention is adjustable, Price, and many options of Kydex colors to choose from.

My wife doesn't even know that I've carried my gun until we come home and I unholster it. I would recommend this holster to anyone who's looking a cheaper IWB that wouldn't mind doing around 20 minutes of work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the write up. My wife has decided to CC and has talked about the purse carry however I am trying to find her other options to waist carry that will conceal well. In my opinion comfort comes by getting use to it.

For the cost I may just have to pick one up, thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice write up, I have an OF holster for my 9 full size. I had to adjust my clips the same as you and found the screws do back out a bit but used clear fingernail polish. This was my first holster so I didn't know what to expect. I've experimented with it between 3-5 o'clock position. Can't do the 6 o'clock due to back surgery. I found that the holster dies a great job at carrying the full size yet it is a bit difficult to fully conceal....the angle prints but it isn't a big deal.

I am thinking of getting a 9c or shield and putting my full use on the market ....it is the range nd carry kit
Product: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Carry and Range Kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the write up. My wife has decided to CC and has talked about the purse carry however I am trying to find her other options to waist carry that will conceal well. In my opinion comfort comes by getting use to it.

For the cost I may just have to pick one up, thanks again.
No problem! Purse carry may not be the best cuz a thief can steal a purse and have the bonus of getting a gun if he succeeded. The holster was uncomfortable at first but after a while of wearing it sometimes I forget its there.

Great pictures and detail. Got the 9c also and will be checking out the Old Faithful.
Thanks! It was a good first choice for me since it was on the cheaper side.

Great write up! Mine should be here in two weeks. Can't wait.
Thanks! You should do a review. I don't see many reviews on this site.

Thanks for the report. Great write up!
No problem and thanks! Just trying to help out the community.

Nice write up, I have an OF holster for my 9 full size. I had to adjust my clips the same as you and found the screws do back out a bit but used clear fingernail polish. This was my first holster so I didn't know what to expect. I've experimented with it between 3-5 o'clock position. Can't do the 6 o'clock due to back surgery. I found that the holster dies a great job at carrying the full size yet it is a bit difficult to fully conceal....the angle prints but it isn't a big deal.

I am thinking of getting a 9c or shield and putting my full use on the market ....it is the range nd carry kit
Product: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Carry and Range Kit
I wouldn't recommend putting it at the 6 o'clock position. A whole bunch of people came up with the situation of getting paralyzed in the worse case scenario of wearing it there and landing on your back.

Sometimes mine prints but I don't wear big clothes either. I wear shorts and a shirt now since its getting warmer. If my wife can't notice it then I'm sure many won't either.

I held the shield in my hand and it is a pretty thin gun. But then again I prefer more capacity right now. Its all about preference.

By the way that range and carry kit is a pretty AWESOME deal!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting it at the 6 o'clock position. A whole bunch of people came up with the situation of getting paralyzed in the worse case scenario of wearing it there and landing on your back.

Sometimes mine prints but I don't wear big clothes either. I wear shorts and a shirt now since its getting warmer. If my wife can't notice it then I'm sure many won't either.

I held the shield in my hand and it is a pretty thin gun. But then again I prefer more capacity right now. Its all about preference.

By the way that range and carry kit is a pretty AWESOME deal!
I have two rods and four screws in my back right where a gun would rest in the 6 o'clock position. I've tried the cant in various positions but just can't get it in a position that doesn't tweak the way I set and in turn tweaks my back. I m 6'4" 225lbs but that 4.25" barrel is my issue. I'm sure others carry it well....and I do to, if I stood up all day long. I'm looking to get either a shield or 9c. I do like the 17+1 but think I will have to err on the side of not messing up my back too much more....... 13 years working on a ladder truck is rough on the body.

As for the deal on the range & carry.... I have it on good authority that the price listed on the link is less than what's being asked....:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ordered one for my 9C and received one for a FS, OF offered to send a new shell or I could send back for a new holster. I asked if they both used the same leather and was told yes that was the case so I just had them send me a new shell looking at your pics there not the same size leather backing. It works and I could cut the extra leather off myself but thats not the point not as much Faith in OF anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered one for my 9C and received one for a FS, OF offered to send a new shell or I could send back for a new holster. I asked if they both used the same leather and was told yes that was the case so I just had them send me a new shell looking at your pics there not the same size leather backing. It works and I could cut the extra leather off myself but thats not the point not as much Faith in OF anymore.
Sometimes people are not perfect all the time. I understand where your coming from though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts