MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.

I had a sear break in an M&P Shield (9mm, 1st gen), and just picked it up from the gunsmith. Apparently he did not completely test it for function because now the thumb safety will not engage.

He replaced the following parts:

1. Sear
2. Sear plunger and spring
3. Take down spring
4. Sear cross pin
5. Sear deactivation

My question is, is it possible one of these parts would be proprietary to the 2.0 model which does not have the thumb safety, which would explain why the thumb safety will not engage?

With labor the repair was $285, I’m a little reluctant to take it back to him although I know he should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For $285 I would march right back and demand that it be fixed right, and to your satisfaction. Too many times these so called gun smith's provide sub-par work and think they need to get paid as if they are skilled medical surgeons.
If this person is a decent businessman, they will "get it" and understand!
Sorry you are having troubles!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are you freakin’ serious? That dude owes you a new Shield for $285.

A gunsmith should be banned for returning a pistol to a customer that doesn’t function properly, esp at that rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Notary gave the best advise.

I am curious as to why you didn't send it to S&W, it sounded like a warranty issue before the other shop worked on it.
Yep. I should have sent it back to S&W. The smith I used seemed knowledgeable and confident, 25 years of service and first impressions I liked him. I didn’t mind spending a bit to replace what I thought was just a broken sear.

But...lesson learned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you freakin’ serious? That dude owes you a new Shield for $285.

A gunsmith should be banned for returning a pistol to a customer that doesn’t function properly, esp at that rate.
For sure the repair price was more than I coulda dreamed it’d be. I wasn’t happy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For $285 you could have bought another Shield. I'd be real bummed.
You could have slipped in a new sear for $5.25 and 15 minutes of your time.
Or sent the gun to S&W and they would have done it for free.
That "gunsmith" ripped you off.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I can’t speak to the 1.0 thumb safety equipped models, but I’ve installed Apex machined sears and striker blocks, along with their new springs, for under $100.00. I’ve put those parts in a few of my M&P’s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can’t speak to the 1.0 thumb safety equipped models, but I’ve installed Apex machined sears and striker blocks, along with their new springs, for under $100.00. I’ve put those parts in a few of my M&P’s.
I appreciate your comment.

I’d already worked through the woulda coulda should’ve and was looking for any answers to my question.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can’t answer your question other to say S&W has had some issues with the thumb safety and sear deactivation lever both. I guess its also possible he put in a wrong part. Its also possible he did function check it and it worked at the time. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he will fix it without charging you anymore.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The S&W lifetime warranty is one of the perks of the M&P to me. I always send them back if needed. I have only had to send one gun back over the years thankfully.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Always get an est. before having any work done on anything!!!! If you don't ask for est. most people assume you are not concerned about price and will charge much much more.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I can’t answer your question other to say S&W has had some issues with the thumb safety and sear deactivation lever both. I guess its also possible he put in a wrong part. Its also possible he did function check it and it worked at the time. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt and see if he will fix it without charging you anymore.
I agree with you for the most part.
But if a gunsmith can`t do the job right the first time, i`m wondering when they`ll have the time to do right a second time.
And if this said gunsmith were to try to charge me for fixing his own mistake, he`d be seeing my lawyer and i in court real quick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts