MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I said it. My ever so trusty M&P 9c failed to eject today. I had a "malfunction" on round #5 after no field stripping out of the box (doesn't really count anyway) and it wasn't a FTF or FTE, the slide just didn't go far enough forward to let the trigger work. That had to have been because the rails weren't completely lubed. No more trouble until today.

It had been about 150-200 since the last cleaning (no bore snake even) and I was shooting super chepo reloaded range ammo. I am 99% positive that the brass was deformed (didn't get to see it after the guy that cleared it for me dropped it on the floor). I didn't know what to do when it jammed so I let him fix it.

Here's how it went.

The round fired, slide came back, no shell came out (not stove pipe, the brass stayed all the way in the chamber), then it tried to chamber a fresh round on top of the empty brass... I dropped the mag and let the slide fall forward in hopes it would eject it the second time around...nothing.... one more try cycling the slide.... slide wouldn't come back at all!

The gentleman at the range popped the slide back and pushed the brass out with a punch (brass, not fist). Then 20 more rounds with no issues. Then I left cause I was pissed.

I have had minor trouble with this ammo before (Atlanta Arms). Just last week I opened a box and noticed that one primer was all screwed up (barely there). So I really think it was the ammo but it will be a few hundred rounds before I'm comfortable with it on my hip again.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not the guns fault if u feed it bad ammo. Shouldn't really shake your confidence. Run a box of quality defensive ammo through it. It should be able to go for more than 150-200 rounds reliably without cleaning. Its also a good idea to have the chamber and feedramp polished.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too shaken by it. I don't feel like the ramp and chamber polish is necessary (no problems yet and I'd rather apply that money to new sights) and I can't afford to send $100-$150 worth of lead downrange just to make sure it's okay to carry again (assuming you meant $14-$20/20 JHP's).

I don't think it will have any more problems. I am going to see if can score 500 more rounds of UMC today to check it out with. I've had no problems with the UMC yet so....

The guy that owns the range said that one time he decided to see how long it would take for a gun to quit working because of lack of cleaning. It was his competition Para 1911. Someone else cleaned it for him after 2 years... Never any failures. I'm sure he used a bore snake though (which I don't have yet).

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
The round fired, slide came back, no shell came out (not stove pipe, the brass stayed all the way in the chamber), then it tried to chamber a fresh round on top of the empty brass... I dropped the mag and let the slide fall forward in hopes it would eject it the second time around...nothing.... one more try cycling the slide.... slide wouldn't come back at all!

I used to get those with my Steyr when I shot my reloads all the time. (btw the same reloads have always been 100% in another gun)... IMO it's the worst type of maulfanction; since it's jams up the gun and takes a while to clear... :?

My M&P9 has only seen 250 rounds - all reloads, but has been 100% so far

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jam

This particlar jam is refered to as a "Death Jam" for the very reason it takes so long to clear. Having issues with a M&P 9, with this very problem, Fed Ex'ed to S&W for correction (?). Appears to have excess clearance between barrel hood and bottom of ejection port during cycling. Was measured at .037+ with automotive feelers, not the best method, but only available. This allows extractor to ride up the casing too far occassionally. Have six mag's and eliminated them as cause, random. Otherwise a fine piece and accurate as operator can hold. Had hoped to use in USPSA Production for ocassional matches PS from a IWB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Johndoe. I wouldn't be too shaken up at this point. I had my first failure to feed last weekend, but I have a little over 1000 rounds of WWB thru my .40 with no cleaning whatsoever. Not even the magazines. Just thought I'd do a torture test of my own to make sure it would go thru an entire weekend of IDPA and USPSA without spending time Saturday night cleaning.

johndoe1027 said:
I'm not too shaken by it. I don't feel like the ramp and chamber polish is necessary (no problems yet and I'd rather apply that money to new sights) and I can't afford to send $100-$150 worth of lead downrange just to make sure it's okay to carry again (assuming you meant $14-$20/20 JHP's)..........................................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts