MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ack!!!

Ok, maybe it didn't explode, I was installing my new K-member from PA racing:

It hasn't gone too bad, but a bit tricky doing it without an extra set of hands.

I had to grind a couple of bolts and washers, and I think I'm going to grind one of them a bit more:

I still have to button things up (check k-member alignment, install springs and A-arms, etc) But it went in pretty well, had to torque it over a bit to get it to fit. I'll finish that up tomorrow

Wow, lots of space in there:

It's in there:

And the big heavy piece of scrap metal:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ha the memories just two weeks ago my buddy and I ripped apart my 88 GT that he's buying soon. We completely removed the rear axle and stuck another one I had put together by hand selecting parts. Then we replaced the shocks and springs. Oh yeah we converted the drum rear brakes to discs. Good times but next time we're gonna need more beer. What was your final beer tally? Have fun with another addiction that never really goes away!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no beer, I was working on this one by myself, an extra set of hands would have been very useful!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, I understand that. I wouldn't have been able to install that rear end without my friends help. I had my wife help me once with the car...you can probably guess what happened as a result.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hahaha! I had a 95 Mustang that I used to wrench on an aweful lot for fun. Had to give up that habit to fund my obsession with guns. Just seeing that brought back memories of thumbing through the pages of "Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" drooling over whichever performance part was gonna drain my bank account next! Have fun with that beast and thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
937 Posts
It's been a while since my car's been that far apart. I think I'm due. ::shivers in fearful anticipation::

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have a 600+ rwhp v6 =x

Turbos make real power.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a vortech V2SQ that's going back on there. 500 rwhp is plenty on the street, anything more just burns up tires faster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been so far outta the loop for so long that I have absolutely no idea what kinda miniscule HP my 03' Monte Carlo SS puts out. I do know however, that since I swapped the stock mufflers for a set of takeoffs from an 07' Vette'.... It does "sound" meaner! Hahahaha!

·
Registered
44 Posts
http://www.gvbbc.org/index.php?section=23

http://www.gvbbc.org/index.php?section=49

Yup, been there done that. I miss it sometimes, but I sold all my wheeled toys last spring to buy a mill, lathe, TIG, blueing and park tanks, and all the other goodies that I will need if I'm going to be self sustaining my shooting hobby.

I know that next spring I'm really going to miss having a fun Auto-cross-able car, but hopfully I can fill that void with hot lead. - Josh M.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mpbond said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']I have a 600+ rwhp v6 =x

Turbos make real power.

What car?

I need to turn my boost up. I'm at 400rwhp on stock boost and stock timing maps.[/quote]

1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am. #1231 of 1550.

600+ rwhp is attainable on the streets... it isn't the hp that spins the tires, but the torque generated by the motor. A car like mine and mpbond's with a turbo have a power band that is delayed mostly until the turbo spools up... when I was rurnning my car during the interim of breaking it in, I had 0 boost passing through it... and it couldn't get out of its own way. Much like a truly nitrous dependent car, the cams for a turbo car are not viable for a NA car.

Besides, traction is all in the suspension, tires, gearing, and underbody... if one of them are weak, you won't get traction.

I want to see pictures of your build when it is all together... it is looking nice so far

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It won't look too much different when it is done:

It will pretty much look just like this under the hood except for my painted valve covers. All of the real money is being spent inside the engine

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
machgt said:
It will pretty much look just like this under the hood except for my painted valve covers. All of the real money is being spent inside the engine

Yea... I know how that is... $3000 here for head porting... $500 here for balance, blueprinting, and lapping... $2000 here for a crankshaft... it all adds up

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
around 3k for the shortblock capable of around 900 hp (room to grow!)

new blower cams for around 575

new tranny for $3k (with driveshaft, flywheel, clutch, shifter)

new fuel system for around 1500

tune will be around 300-500

oh joy....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
machgt said:
around 3k for the shortblock capable of around 900 hp (room to grow!)

new blower cams for around 575

new tranny for $3k (with driveshaft, flywheel, clutch, shifter)

new fuel system for around 1500

tune will be around 300-500

oh joy....

Yea... my block serial number is 5. Seriously. It was the 5th block made for the 1980s v6 Indianapolis turbo cars... we had to drill our own oil valley and open up some of the oil passages, along with putting in a return line for the turbo. :?

My friend that I work with is planning on building a fox body with a huge turbo... it will probably end up being next year's summer project... along with my jixxer powered go-kart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Grimwulff said:

I was going to say GN. I figured it was a GM though. I have a 91 300ZX TT. I can't think of any other V6 turbo cars that are very common and I didn't think that we were running the same car. What size turbo are you running?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
mpbond said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']

I was going to say GN. I figured it was a GM though. I have a 91 300ZX TT. I can't think of any other V6 turbo cars that are very common and I didn't think that we were running the same car. What size turbo are you running?[/quote]

T62 with GT series wheels. It is a hybrid, using a smaller exhaust housing, and the standard size compressor... 3" in and out with a larger alluminum intercooler. Personally, I want to get a larger turbo, because I can get about 20psi at 2000 rpm, with shifts and the shift at 6250.

I like the 300ZX, but they are WAY heavy for me... but they turn into a very nice road car. There was an 80/81 turbo TA made, but they used a v8 with a carb on top... horrible car. I can think of these v6 turbos that were domestically made: T-type, GN, GNX, TTA (my car), Typhoon (4wd 4.3L), Syclone (same as Typhoon), and the Turbo Regal. The T-type, GN, GNX, and the Turbo Regal were all the same car, but with variations in color scheme (GN and GNX came in black only), comfort packages, and had varying stages of work on the motor. I was thinking about buying a 1980 MR2 chasis and dropping in a 4AG-20V motor with a turbo and supercharger... but i'm lazy and don't feel like saving up the money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts