MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I should have just left well enough alone. I had done a trigger job per Dan's instructions on my 9mm M&P. The results were drastically different than from the factory- crisp trigger pull around 4 lbs with a positive short reset. After a few days, I decided to try to take it one step further- a mistake in hindsight.

On the original trigger job I hadn't done anything regarding cutting the top of the sear, so I did this. As per the instructions, doing this lengthens the reset, so you have to rec-bevel the sear deeper to shorten the reset again. I went about 1-2 file swipes too far. The reset is short again- shorter than the first time even. However, my file swipes changed the angle of the sear enough where it contacts the trigger bar to cause unreliable trigger pulls. If I pull the trigger from the very bottom, the trigger will pull all the way to the overtravel stop and not release the striker. Pulling the trigger from the normal position is fine and works reliably. I'm not comfortable with a trigger that is dependent on where I pull it to determine its reliability.

Well, lesson learned. I've ordered another sear housing from Brownells. Round #2 on the trigger job will commence in a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
depending on how much you took off the top of the sear to begin with you may still be OK. Just make sure you have at least 0.030 (you want at least 0.028 when done) engagement with the striker and the sear if so take a couple more file strokes off the top of the sear until it releases the striker reliably again.

edited to correct a typo on the engagement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan, do you typically check the sear/striker engagement on the sear or on the striker. I have an easier time seeing the wear on the sear(using a sharpie) than on the striker. It seems that my stoning of the sear hump may not have been parallel to the face of the striker while they are engaged. As a result, I'm getting a fairly thin mark of engagement on the striker face (.02"), whereas the sear is showing .04" engagement from the wear. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I check it on the striker as the sear can lie to you especially if you still have some of the hump on there.

I'd recut the sear face to get a nice even engagement with the striker face you want it as even as possible.

I usually cut it down to about 0.030.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan. I recut the sear, and got a more positive readin on the striker face of .028". So, I should be okay with the current setup. However, I think that I'm going to play around with the new sear anyway. The way I cut the current one leaves to much creep for my taste (even though the actual stroke length is very short, the trigger feel spongy). Practice makes perfect I guess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts