MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering who open carrys here in michigan and have you encountered any problems doing so. Are there any special guidlines to follow? I have my CPL.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I was just wondering who open carrys here in michigan and have you encountered any problems doing so. Are there any special guidlines to follow? I have my CPL.

unless its freezing out i would think concealed carry would be the best route to go because you maintain a low key status, during the winter however when its snowing concealed carry is not a good idea because of the layers of clothing you might wear.

as long as michigan laws permit you to open carry then do so and best of luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
unless its freezing out i would think concealed carry would be the best route to go because you maintain a low key status, during the winter however when its snowing concealed carry is not a good idea because of the layers of clothing you might wear.

as long as michigan laws permit you to open carry then do so and best of luck.
OC is fully legal here unless it is a Pistol Free Zone or the buisness has no firearms posted at their buisness, guns must be unloaded and locked up when entering a vehicle unless you have a cpl.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In Ohio, which is law wise similar to Michigan, open carry is permitted and whether or not you have a license to conceal is not relevant. No license is needed for open carry but it gets nasty without a license because when you enter your vehicle you have to unload, lock it up, and transport it according to law unless you have a license to conceal.

I always carry concealed with the exception of when I am fueling at a gas station and that is for my convenience so I don't have to fool around adjusting my wardrobe when I get out of my truck. I also open carry when sitting or working in my yard.

The Ohio gun boards have many reports of legal and other problems resulting from open carry which, amazingly though not prohibited by law, result in disorderly conduct, dusty taillight, excessive ugliness, or other legal charges just for harassment. This varies from place to place. Some places it is tolerated and in others (especially the suburbs around major cities) you will get stopped and probably cited for something unrelated to the gun, all for doing nothing illegal. You will win in court after many months and many $$$ but why risk it?

I also think concealed is better since it doesn't give the bad guy advance notice of your armed status, but there are good arguments for both open and concealed. I have made my choice to carry concealed based more on this than the possibility of harassment.

So, if you want to open carry and it is legal then go for it. Just review your reasons for doing so. Since you have a conceal carry license you have a choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts

miopencarry.org is the best site for Michigan open carry. They are the most active, the most knowledgeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.