MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I'm close to springing for a more "sturdy" holster and CTAC, MTAC, Brigage, etc. are all options still. The ones with the open bottom say it's best for keeping gun clean, etc. Some of the nicer leather holsters have closed bottoms.

Question - does it matter really?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've always found dust, debris and just plain dirty detritus in the bottom of any closed container that gets any age on it. That said, every hoster I have that wasn't issued has an open bottom. It might also give a bit more wider range in what it will fit in terms of frame length or extended barrels.

·
Registered
308 Posts
+1 to what Fall...(not even gonna try to type the rest...) said. I can use my open ended holster for both of my M&P's, even though they are different calibers/lengths.

Personally, I think it is more a matter of your use and preference. The closed end does tend to trap a bit of detritus, but could protect the barrel somewhat when crawling thru the swamps...on the other hand, the open ended holster doesn't trap debris inside the holster, but leaves the barrel open to the elements. I have used both and would not hesitate to buy either type. In fact, I recently purchased one of each (MTAC closed, and the Minotaur Gladiator open). The open holster for when I open carry (hmmm, open holster, open carry...?) or OWB this time of year, and the closed for my compact IWB tucked.

By the way, Kudos to Randy at Comp-Tac, really excellent customer communication and feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts