MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking at getting a .45 and have picked out two contenders which are the Sig Sauer P220 and the M&P .45. I know both of these are great guns and both fit my hands great and feel like a natural extension of my arm. However, I haven't had a chance to shoot either one as there's no range near where I live. Which one do you think is superior and most importantly why? I need a gun that's reliable, durable, and accurate. The price doesn't matter at all either. I know this is off topic from the original question, but a friend said to just go with the M&P .40 as it can hold 15+1. Opinions?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Welcome from Texas Ryan! :gathering: Gee, I wonder how this is gonna go! :D Coming onto a S&W forum and asking which gun we prefer. I'm going to side with your friend. I say .40 for many reasons, not the least of which is 15+1. :evil:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have both. I have a Sig 220 carry and a M&P 45 Mid size, I enjoy both but would take the M&P over the Sig. Personal preference. If interested I have both for sale or will, got into high end 1911s and they are not cheap, lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a chance to shoot my dad's P220 Equinox a few months ago. It was very accurate and easy to handle, doesn't hurt that it's a beautiful weapon also. I'm a decent shot with my .40 and .40c but I was slightly more accurate that day with the P220 and shooting tight groups at 25 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot the M&P 45 so I can't comment on it. That being said, I love my M&P's but if cost wasn't a factor I wouldn't hesitate to get the P220.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They're both reliable firearms. If grip options are important, then the SIG is preferable. Check their weight and magazine capacity.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The sig is a very nice gun and probably the more accurate of the two on average. That said, it has a higher bore axis and that long hard DA first pull which means it will be slower to shoot for most people. If you are interested in shorter range high speed shooting, the M&P gets the edge.

Otherwise, get both and a decent 1911 or three.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have both and I find the trigger on the Sig 220 to be more manageable than my M&P 45, but I don't have Apex Trigger Parts in it either.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have shot both and own the M&P 45. Both are great guns. I shoot the M&P way better and like my Apex trigger way better. If you are considering carrying it concealed, ask yourself a couple questions. Which one tends to print less? Which one weights less? I actually carry my M&P 40 Pro in the cooler months for the higher round count (15+1), and my Shield in the warmer months as it is easier to conceal when I am more scantily clad lol!. Just me being scantily clad scares off most folks....even family members lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
P220. I own several and they never let me down over the last twenty years. The P220 proved to be very accurate and extremely reliable for me. I carried 7+1 as the early 8 round Sig mags did not have the best rep out there,the newer ones seem to be reliable.

S&W has left a bad taste with me. Two of three new firearm purchases were stinkers and one gun had to be replaced. My S&W FS 9mm is the most inaccurate service handgun that I own. It has been reliable so far but accuracy just plain sucks,my Sigs will shoot rings around it. I returned it to the factory who said it was "in spec" and was returned promptly. I would carry my S&W Model 10 with a 5" pencil barrel over it.

When the M&P first came out I shot early examples I'm 9mm and 45,both were accurate and reliable,horrible trigger pulls(heavy long and gritty),S&W has slowly corrected the triggers in late 2012 early 2013 to acceptable usable platforms.

There have been numerous issues with the M&P platform and I find it cheaply made over all.The early MIM firing pins were a disaster.

The only thing S&W got right was the ergonomics. The take down procedure is hokey and from an armorers perspective not the best,certainly no Glock.

S&W needs better QC over all. Make a deal with APEX parts and acknowledge the accuracy issue with the FS 9mm guns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have used both. If you can afford the P220, get it. The M&P45 is good, the P220 is better. For me, the magazine release on the M&P pistols is way too easy to depress. Magazines unintentionally drop from the guns from time to time. Check out the M&P pistol and see if it is an issue for you. It was a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
I would prefer the M&P40 over either of the other choices. More flexability, rounds, reliability (over current manufactur Sig), and less weight. I also prefer my APEX triggers over anything Sig is marketing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is an issue with the M&P pistols that bugs the crap out of me besides the poorly designed magazine release. If they are so good, why is everyone needing to put Apex components in them? The guns should be good as is. I know some will say they are customizing the guns to meet their needs but it seems more like there are issues S&W needs to correct. Recently, I sold my M&P 40 to acquire a Glock 22. I use one on-duty that was issued to me. Although not perfect (plastic sights suck) the gun has never let me down after about 4,000 rounds. The same for my Glock 27 after a higher round count. No matter how much I want to hate the Glock I can't. I am not trying to bash the M&P or owners of the pistol, I just want S&W to address the deficiencies and make it what it should be, the best and US made.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Sig is flat to carry, light, and I have only seen them be excellent guns (years ago, admittedly, not anything recent), but the DA/SA transition makes it more effort to learn to shoot at the top of the performance level. From what I remember about what people said about Sigs years ago, I'd bet the average 220 would shoot rings around an M&P off the bench at 25, all things being equal. Not sure that I worry as much about 25 yards/bench as much as the distance between cars on a car stop or at "gimme some ID" range. The M&P may have a crunchy trigger stroke but at least it is the same crunchy pull and is easily fixed if you want.
The 220 I shot (a couple) seemed to have a lot of "bouncy" type recoil, the M&P seems to be flatter, more rearward than upward. Figuring the difference is in the bore axis height, but this is not a game changer, just makes the gun more pleasant for me to shoot.
Double stack mag-not a huge difference in capacity, but hitting the mag well in a reload has got to be faster with the M&P.
Haven't heard anyone bragging about Sig factory/armorer service, but I don't frequent boards where they talk about Sigs, either. Called S&W last week about a roll pin problem on one gun, they made sure was an armorer for the agency and I had an envelope of 6 in my hand in under a week. Got other stories, too.
Last week I was in a class and they were re-demonstrating all the normal methods of gyrations to make the slide go forward with one hand or weak hand in the Glocks everyone else had in their hands. There is an ambi slide release on the M&P...so I just said "How 'bout this?" and popped it forward with a flick of my off-hand thumb while the other guys were raking their holsters, their pants, the desk, all that stuff. The instructor just looked at me and went on to the next topic. Are the controls enough to make the choice obvious? Nope, not unless you are left-handed or think that is important to your uses. Haven't seen a Sig with levers on both sides, but again, I don't keep up.
Don't have the .40 personally but most folks seem to prefer them so there has got to be some good reason.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They are both outstanding pistols as I own the M&P45 and have fired the 220. 45ACP is a great caliber.
I have no interest in an external hammer and see no need to put up with the DA first shot. This makes the two very dissimilar and you need to decide if you like DA/SA or not. That makes them totally different pistols.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They are both outstanding pistols as I own the M&P45 and have fired the 220. 45ACP is a great caliber.
I have no interest in an external hammer and see no need to put up with the DA first shot. This makes the two very dissimilar and you need to decide if you like DA/SA or not. That makes them totally different pistols.

I agree with this... Whichever you choose, learn the trigger action and stick with it. They are _very_ different. I have a Sig 226 as well as a 45M&P and it always takes me several magazines through either gun to settle down and shoot it properly. If you are carrying for defense, you won't want to have to deal with this.

·
Registered
189 Posts

you didn't specify which 220, I would choose the Single Action Only variant over other 220's, and it would just slightly edge out the M&P. Both are very good, they are radically different though. Only similar in the field stripping procedure. Like asking if we prefer Volvo station wagons or Subaru WRX STI's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My advice would be to shoot both guns.

They do shoot differently.

Here's My Sig P220 Elite

Both are very good guns and good shooters too.

Good luck on your hunt.

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts