MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I live in Missouri, and I am 21 years old. Missouri's carry age is 23, but my buddy whose a cop told me about out of state carry licenses, in which would be honored by Missouri's reciprocity laws. I have requested an application from Florida's Licensing office, and plan on trying this. Has anyone else on this forum encountered anything like this or done this themselves? I'm interested in any pro's and cons of doing this. I'm really excited that I may not have to wait 2 more years to carry. Lemme know what you guys know or think. Thanks a million...

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is from Florida's Division of Licensing, concealed carry reciprocity page:

"It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state."

Here's the url: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Even though Florida might issue the permit since you're 21, I think you'll still be required to follow Missouri's carry laws which require you to be 23. At least that's the way I read it.

I would contact Missouri's issuing authority.

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't even thought about that...you bring up a good point! I'm gonna have to check into that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Missouri only honors florida's permit if in fact you live in florida....hence you must be able to provide a valid florida id. I too am from missouri and recently asked this exact question to local law enforcement....it seems like it would be hard for them to prosecute on this statute bc there is no law governing this aspect of the reciprocal carry laws. As a missouri resident you are allowed to conceal the firearm on you at home, in your car, and in your place of business....hope this helps. Where are you from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any states that MO will accept without residing in that state?? What about Utah?

·
Registered
167 Posts
nope....I almost included that one because I figured that would be the next question. Take it from another 21 year old, we are screwed. I look at it like this, I am guessing that you had a handgun before you were 21, my kids will too (when they reach that level of responsibility)... It is against the law for us to carry concealed, and we really can't carry exposed...so you have to make the decision, to carry or not to carry.

Alot of people will tell you that if you are ever involved in a situation that requires deadly force you are going to be in a fair amount of trouble yourself, but you will be alive...23 or 21.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I think you guys may be mistaken/lied to. I have been asking around and everyone seems to think the opposite of you guys. Gary from Handgunlaw.us said that if Missouri had a requirement to be a resident of the state that issued the carry license it would be written in the reciprocity laws, and it's not. Also check this website out and read the exceptions under Missouri. http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html and if you look under the exceptions in parenthesis for missouri, 1 and 8 they do not state anything about being under the age of 23, and it seems like they would have to if it were unlawful. Am I correct?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in Missouri and have my ccw!! When i took my class it sounded to me that u can actually get a permit from another state b/c alot of people do that b/c it is cheaper but the cop said that they frown upon that now i dont think they can actually do anything to u but bust ur balls but thats kinda what i got from it but then again i am by no means an expert on this issue!

ryan

·
Registered
366 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
Are there any states that MO will accept without residing in that state?? What about Utah?

I don't think the issue is whether Missouri recognizes carry permits without residing in that state, Flyin, but what the laws for concealed carry are in Missouri. I'm pretty sure that all states would have a caveat that require you to obey the laws of the state you're carrying in. I would think that reciprocity agreements between states make sure that someone can't circumvent the host states concealed carry laws by getting a permit from another state.

Handgunlaw.us is a pretty good resource for researching concealed carry laws.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

They show that Missouri recognizes a Florida permit without having to be a Florida resident, but that still doesn't get around the age requirement for MO. Of course, laws change frequently, so I'd still recommend that you contact someone like your state's Attorney General's office for the latest information.

All this is just my opinion, Flyin, and you know what they say about opinions. Good luck on your research.

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha, thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I've been emailing everyone this same question, and so far have 2 yesses from Gary at hangunlaw.us and a yes from my local police department. BUT then I got a no from Missouri highway patrol. haha, so it's just getting more confusing. I think i'm gonna have to contact the attorney general, surely I can trust his advice can't?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, I hear ya there. i'd hate to lose it forever because of 2 measly years. But at the same time, if I find out it is ok, i'm gonna be really excited.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Talk to an attorney, internet advice is worth what you pay for it and totally useless as a defense in court.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well boys, good news for me, might be bad news for some of you who were told otherwise. I just go done talking to the assistant attorney general of missouri, and he says I am completely legal. He said missouri accepts all other states valid licenses, and there are no exceptions to the rule. he said if MO requires an 8 hour CCW course and FL requires only a 6 hour course we still recognize it. He said this same rule applies to age. If I hold any CCW permit from any state regardless of age or residency, I am legal in the state of Missouri. Needless to say, I'm waiting on my FL CCW form as we speak. I appreciate you guys helping me, and trying to keep me out of trouble, but if the head honcho gives me the go ahead, welp I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Congratulations, Flyin! By getting your answer direct from the horse's mouth (or assistant horse's mouth), you'll be able to carry without worrying about violating MO's carry laws.

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
Well boys, good news for me, might be bad news for some of you who were told otherwise. I just go done talking to the assistant attorney general of missouri, and he says I am completely legal. He said missouri accepts all other states valid licenses, and there are no exceptions to the rule. he said if MO requires an 8 hour CCW course and FL requires only a 6 hour course we still recognize it. He said this same rule applies to age. If I hold any CCW permit from any state regardless of age or residency, I am legal in the state of Missouri.

An off the wall question: Do you have his response in writing, or, since you said you "just got done talking...", was it over the telephone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Methinks the "brakes will get slammed on hard" when you get the Fl CCW app and it askes you to provide your FL residency id. Otherwise, it would be a case of FL CCW law being used to circumvent the the CCW laws of another state to allow a person to do something in violation of statute. Also, keep in mind that providing false info on these forms could get you prosecuted and ineligible for a CCW in any state in the future.

That said, the reciprocity conditions on CCWs implys that you must comply with the state's law in which you are traveling. The age limit is not likely going to be a problem as long as you got the CCW legally. That's the whole point of the reciprocity provisions. State's CCW laws are going to be different but the burden of responsibility to KNOW that other state's law is upon you. They are available online so travelers can stay legal as they cruise the highways and byways of 2nd Amendmentland.

And now... a funny (as in peculiar, but haha too.) In NM, your car has the same status as your home with regards to carrying guns. Thus, you may carry a loaded, legal firearm in your car, motorcycle or... wait for it.... your Schwinn/Huffy/Precious Moments/whatever... bicycle (tricycle too, I'd suppose.) Funny, eh? If you have no CCW you must leave your pistola in the car/chopper/Huffy. Did I mention that you can "exposed" carry virtually anywhere it is not specifically prohibited (like the Chili's/ Applebee's example) nor anywhere "no guns" is posted? Yahoo, pardner! Roadrage incidents in NM might be less than many other places in the US due to this open carry/car carry thing. It's been around as state law forever and cities are prohibited from denying it except as noted in state law. So if you cut off a Schwinn in traffic, be aware. Of course, the law does not allow anyone to discharge a firearm from a car/Schwinn/trike, so that won't ever be a problem, right? lol

You cannot take a CCW into a bar or any establishment that serves liquor. The law was just changed to allow CCW in places that sell, but not serve, liquor. So, Circle K/Walgreens etc is OK, but Chili's/Applebee's is not. In the language of the recent revision, the name Costco was given as an example where is is now OK to CCW, but had not been before (as they SOLD booze there... by the skidload!) lol But never served. So, it's OK to carry in Costco now. Six months or so ago, you could have been cited and lost your CCW privs getting nabbed carrying in a Costco. This is even a funnier example since I think that there or only 3 Costcos in the entire state with 2 being in one city!

The point is, know the CCW laws of the state you are going through. I still think you will need to be resident of FL to get a FL CWW and you'd need to take a FL approved CCW course (assuming they require one, most do.) Anyway, I hear FL is very nice this time of year, (as compared to MO in the winter! lol) Consider moving there for awhile? Good luck. Stay legal.

Nevermind! lol I was curious and just now checked the FL statutes re out of state FL CCW ad it seems you are home free and, if otherwise not ineligible (crimes, crazy, etc.) you will be fully eligible for a FL CCW! see linkage... http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm...on%2006#0790.06

In fact, it is cheaper and longer, without a 2 yr recert even!) than here and no certified original copy of a birth cert is reqd either! Wonder why FL is in the business of issuing "nationwide" CCWs!!? Very strange. I would keep an eye on the MO upcoming revisions to their reciprocity codes mentioned in the FL site. Things might change/tighten soon up for MO residents.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Fl. isn't in the business of issuing nationwide licenses, Fl. is in the business of providing law abiding residents of other states a license to carry in Fl. when they visit. If said license happens to be accepted in other states that would be said other states business.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
Ok, so I live in Missouri, and I am 21 years old. Missouri's carry age is 23, but my buddy whose a cop told me about out of state carry licenses, in which would be honored by Missouri's reciprocity laws. I have requested an application from Florida's Licensing office, and plan on trying this. Has anyone else on this forum encountered anything like this or done this themselves? I'm interested in any pro's and cons of doing this. I'm really excited that I may not have to wait 2 more years to carry. Lemme know what you guys know or think. Thanks a million...

Something tells me that you're going to end up having to wait the extra two years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts